Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #1

Looking to upgrade from popup

DW and I are in the market for a TT. We found two units that we like; the Jayco White Hawk 20MRB and the Kodiak 221RBSL. We would like to hear from someone who owns either of these units regarding their likes/dislikes. Thank you
Journeyman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #2

Sorry, I am not an owner of either unit. We did look at the Kodiak model you mentioned when we bought our travel trailer in May. It looked to be a nice quality unit. The only thing we didn't care for was that the television didn't swivel back toward the bed.

We bought a Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS and are very pleased with it. In retrospect, one thing I like about our trailer is that the entry door is on the other end of the trailer from the queen bed and the bed area has sliding doors to close it off. I like this because I get up early and don't disturb my wife while milling around the trailer or going outside.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Were on our 2nd Aerolite product which is the same as the Kodiak line (built on same line). Our 05' Aerolite we used 380 nights over 7 seasons. Our 2013 were finishing up our 2nd season. So were looking at about 450 nights and no real problems.

The reason we bought a 2nd Aerolite product was because the first one held up so well. The positives on the Kodiak's are the 52 gallon fresh water, sexy looking "frameless" windows. Have you looked at the Kodiak 279 model. If you have the vehicle to tow that unit it is a great layout for a couple.

I see your from Michigan. PM me and I'll tell you where we bought our Aerolite. The dealer carries 10 or so lines of just tt's and 5er's and blows them out. My quote from them plus trade was 50% less than what my dealer wanted. He has carried Kodiak's in the past, not sure what they carry now. Their an hour south of Toledo OH. Was worth my drive from Cleveland.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #4

Kodiaks were very high on our short list as well. I did read about a few issues that made us shy away, but even now I drool over the 2014's. Especially the new interiors! Also, the Coleman Explorer series TTs are excellent in that size range.
We went for the Minnie because it had all the same features as some of the bigger trailers and even better matterials and fit'n'finish. Also has a bit of retro style. Wife wanted an Airstream, but we couldn't ju$tify it.
http://www.winnebagotowables.com/minnie.php
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:35 AM   #5

Thanks TDI-Minnie. We will check out the Winnebago Minnies. We want something in the 20-22' range. Our TV is a 2007 GMC Sierra extended cab with tow package and 6800 GVWR
Journeyman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:31 AM   #6

We looked at a similiar Jayco model with the Murphy bed and found storage space to be very poor. When you look at the Jayco, see if the front storage area is a "pass through" compartment, or just two small areas, one on each side of the trailer.

Conside also that with a Murphy bed (an option I really like), you are limited on mattress replacements. Stock mattresses are usually pretty bad (my experience), so you may want to upgrade the mattress. The very nature of the Murphy bed may limit the thickness of any mattress you can use.

We ended up with the Winnebago 2201DS, and are very happy with it so far. I really wanted to get a Jayco (2 year warranty, local dealer seeems to be top rate) but I couldn't find a Jayco model that had as much storage space as the 2201DS. Acutally, other than a Lance model, I couldn't find any other 26' trailer that has the amount of storage in the bathroom of the 2201DS. That was an important factor to us as we will be taking trips of 4-8 weeks or longer.

Good luck on your search. Take your time and have fun looking!
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #7

Depends on the type of camping you do but, I like to have a dinette in the right side because most of the places I camp have you back in on a angle. That way in the morning I can have breakfast and look out that the campsite/lake from the dinette. Have you considered a Arctic Fox or Nash? I'm told they are well built and are a 4 season TT. But, they are a little heavier because of that. I don't own one but, I'd like to.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #8

I like your second choice for a trailer. The Winnebago looks nice also.

We settled on a 187qb aluma-lite made by holiday rambler. Been very happy with it. Was just the right size for the wife me and our dog.

Maybe check them out as they have lots of other models.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #9

Think we found our TT!

TDI-Minnie, thanks for putting us on to the Minnie! We checked them out today and liked what we saw. We think we will get the 22' because we like the way the entertainment center isolates the bed from the rest of the living area. Quality construction throughout. Will not buy one until spring however due to pressing family matters.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:35 AM   #10

We purchased a VISA by Gulfstream this fall and love the layout with dinette to the back and walk around bed. This is a significant upgrade for us after 28 years and many miles with our little Bonair pop up. Quality materials and light weight sold us on this used 2011 model in excellent shape. Happy searching!
ernandreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman45 View Post
TDI-Minnie, thanks for putting us on to the Minnie! We checked them out today and liked what we saw. We think we will get the 22' because we like the way the entertainment center isolates the bed from the rest of the living area. Quality construction throughout. Will not buy one until spring however due to pressing family matters.
Glad to help and share the good experience we've had.
This gives you some time to shop and the 2014s will already be discounted by then with 2015s hitting the market.
Good luck!
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote