Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2020, 11:34 PM   #1

Question Magnum Inverter/Charger install questions

No holiday travel this year allowed us to splurge on our TT. Santa brought me a Magnum Energy Inverter/Charger. I had an idea in mind on how to install it. But man, this thing is huge, and heavy too. So, I知 reassessing my plan. I know I値l also need a Magnum Remote Control for the inverter. I知 also planning on 3 x 100AH LiFoPO4 batteries. I find myself with a few more gear questions. I also got a Victron Smart Shunt Battery Monitor. Will the Victron smart shunt work with the Magnum remote control, or will I need an additional Magnum BM? I want the Bluetooth capabilities of the Victron. I was planning on mounting the inverter on the top of the pass through storage area. Now I知 worried about the weight and the damage that might come from that kind of mounting. Is there a problem with this? I might need to just mount it in the front vertical part of the storage area. I知 not planning on solar, but would like the install to be capable of adding it later. Is there something, or some way of doing this that would make the addition easier later on? Is there anything I知 forgetting, should add or do differently?

I know many have crossed this road before me. What wisdom can you share to help keep me from stumbling?

Thanks and a late Merry Christmas to all
Dennis
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2020, 03:00 PM   #2

The Victron smart shunt battery monitor will work completely independent from your inverter/charger. It uses bluetooth to talk to an app on your smart phone. Keep the inverter/charger as close as possible to your batteries. I assume your batteries are going to be inside, right? It's hard to give you better advice regarding the placement of the inverter/charger without some pictures.
LeisurePursuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:25 AM   #3

I'm planning on mounting the inverter in the front pass through storage area. Inside, the bed sit on top of it. I'm planning on putting the batteries under that bed, in between the drawers. The distance between the two should be minimal. I've seen others have put their batts. here. I still have to pull it apart and verify I'll have enough room for the three "SOK" batts I'm planning on getting.
I'm concerned I'll need another batt monitor for the Magnum controller to work properly. I guess I'll just have to see how thing go as I install everything.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:52 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Jayco Owners Club
I’m in the planning stages of a similar install on our Jayco travel trailer. Still getting up to speed on what is involved.

We are leaning towards a Victron Multiplus inverter charger and a couple of lithium batteries underneath the bed.

One question I am trying to get answered is it required to run the AC to and from the electrical panel to the inverter/charger?

I saw one install where they pulled AC power by tapping into the Romex from a nearby outlet. That would take care of powering the charger. That seems reasonable.

Is there a similar option for sending the AC from the inverter to the panel to power the coach? Is there no other way but fishing new wires from the victron to the panel?
Old 12-29-2020, 12:21 PM   #5

I'm a happy victron customer and appreciate the Bluetooth and the app. However, I don't see a benefit to mixing with magnum just to read power status without getting up to check the magnum remote. All setting will be set and forget. If paring with a victroninverter charger, then the app would be useful. If not, just stick with magnum components instead of victron.

For the suggested installation, rather than mounting to the underside of the ceiling of the pass through, consider a couple of brackets mounted to the sides of the pass through with the inverter charger on top. Two small (1 x 1) pieces of angle iron would be enough to carry the weight - a notch cut at each end to bend one side of the angle parallel to the side wall and a hole to bolt/screw through. Make the length of the bent part to the number of fasteners to be used. This will put the fasteners in an orientation less likely to vibrate loose.. If the span between studs doesn't match the hole pattern, attach two more pieces of angle to the side walls of the pass through to serve as a ledge to hold the angle iron attached to the inverter.

Last Question - With the Magnum, any future solar charge controller will be wired directly to the battery working in parallel with the magnum. If using all victron, there are some available optimization features.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 01:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1361 View Post
I'm planning on mounting the inverter in the front pass through storage area. Inside, the bed sit on top of it. I'm planning on putting the batteries under that bed, in between the drawers. The distance between the two should be minimal. I've seen others have put their batts. here. I still have to pull it apart and verify I'll have enough room for the three "SOK" batts I'm planning on getting.
I'm concerned I'll need another batt monitor for the Magnum controller to work properly. I guess I'll just have to see how thing go as I install everything.
You do not need a battery monitor at all, but it helps.

I can not help you with you mixed components and "best" install.

I am using the Magnum hybrid with Magnum Monitor. I have also added the Magnum solar charge controller. The charger controller was more than I needed, and a little more than I wanted to spend. On the other hand it is really to have all of my equipment working together and I can monitor/control it all from a single display.

I am not sure how much insulation there will be between your inverter and your bed. Just realize there is a fan in the inverter. To some it may be loud, others it may not bother them. Just something to be aware of.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 01:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaninnj View Post
I知 in the planning stages of a similar install on our Jayco travel trailer. Still getting up to speed on what is involved.

We are leaning towards a Victron Multiplus inverter charger and a couple of lithium batteries underneath the bed.

One question I am trying to get answered is it required to run the AC to and from the electrical panel to the inverter/charger?

I saw one install where they pulled AC power by tapping into the Romex from a nearby outlet. That would take care of powering the charger. That seems reasonable.

Is there a similar option for sending the AC from the inverter to the panel to power the coach? Is there no other way but fishing new wires from the victron to the panel?
Does the Victron stuff come with wiring diagrams? I know the Magnum does and shows several options.

How you wire depends on what you want to run. Here is a basis synopsis:

Inverters are typically wired in one of 3.5 ways.
#1: "Sub panel", there is circuit in the main breaker that goes the inverter. There is another break box beyond the inverter and only those circuits run on the inverter. Typically used with medium sized inverters.

#2 and #2.5, whole or half house wired. The inverter is wired inline with either L1 or L2 of the incoming power. This would allow anything on that side of the breaker box, or both sides, to be powered by the inverter. Typically use with large inverters.

#3 is a stand alone inverter only used to power 1 or 2 specific outlets. Typically found with smaller inverters.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:53 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
Does the Victron stuff come with wiring diagrams? I know the Magnum does and shows several options.

How you wire depends on what you want to run. Here is a basis synopsis:

Inverters are typically wired in one of 3.5 ways.
#1: "Sub panel", there is circuit in the main breaker that goes the inverter. There is another break box beyond the inverter and only those circuits run on the inverter. Typically used with medium sized inverters.

#2 and #2.5, whole or half house wired. The inverter is wired inline with either L1 or L2 of the incoming power. This would allow anything on that side of the breaker box, or both sides, to be powered by the inverter. Typically use with large inverters.

#3 is a stand alone inverter only used to power 1 or 2 specific outlets. Typically found with smaller inverters.

Thanks for that summary. We have a 30 amp trailer so with the Multiplus 3000 the plan is to power the whole rig.

The underbelly is sealed and insulated and since the rig is brand new I知 not too keen on dropping the underbelly but there may be no other option save drilling through walls which is also something I知 not too keen about.
Old 01-01-2021, 05:33 AM   #9

Just an installation heads up.
Magnum advises to connect batty Pos last (and remove first) and time battys are disconnected.
Most warnings for safety reasons are opposite. You might consider installing a batty cut odd sw on the Pos to make this easy. Just get a sw rated at least as high as your max inverter draw.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:40 AM   #10

Quote:
I’m in the planning stages of a similar install on our Jayco travel trailer. Still getting up to speed on what is involved.

See post above for connection options. The inverter/charger must be near the batteries. Run 120 volt cable to where ever it is needed.

Generally 120 volts from main panel to inverter/charger and back to main panel works best. Inverter output must be separated from shore power and generator power one way or another.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for that summary. We have a 30 amp trailer so with the Multiplus 3000 the plan is to power the whole rig.

The underbelly is sealed and insulated and since the rig is brand new I知 not too keen on dropping the underbelly but there may be no other option save drilling through walls which is also something I知 not too keen about.
On mine I found I had access behind the breaker panel. Mine is mounted near the floor about half way down the trailer. I mounted my batteries, inverter and solar controller in the front pass through.

I drilled a hole all the way though the floor and out the bottom of the trailer. I used 3/4" (or maybe it was 1") grey PVC pipe intended for electrical, and ran it under the trailer and up to the front. In my case it follows the same path as the gas lines for my fridge. This allowed me to run my 120v main power lines between the breaker box and inverter with minimal cutting, drilling, fishing, etc.
Old 01-04-2021, 07:57 AM   #12

Hi everyone. I installed the Magnum inverter/charger with solar last year in my 21.5' TT. It worked out really well, and I had to learn as I went, as I knew nothing about Inverters or Solar. The solar is minimal, just 200 watts, (2 100 watt panels on the roof) with 200 amphours of battery. (2 large 6volt batteries. Make sure the batteries are sealed if they are inside the trailer) I had a fairly large slide through in the front of the trailer, so now its just a slide out. I cut a little over 2 feet off of one end and put a stop on the slide part so it couldn't get into the inverter. The gray tank vent line goes through the wardrobe so the solar wires from the roof come into the trailer there. The shore power came in the trailer and went to the main breaker. Now the shore power comes in and goes to the AC in on the Inverter/charger, and from the AC out on the inverter to the main power breaker. (30 Amp) I disconnected converter, not needed.

The inverter/charger has AC passthrough, so when you are plugged in or on generator, the AC passes through the Inverter/charger and goes to the main 30 amp breaker like normal. If you are not plugged in or you lose power for some reason, you still have power from the inverter. This system is not big enough to run the AC. I tried to add some pictures, but I could not figure it out. I'll try again in a new post.
brewbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:52 PM   #13

Well, the edit function went away on my previous post, so, I can't add photos for some reason. When I click on add photo, it wants a URL for the photo, and I can't seem to find that. If you have questions, please post and I'll try to answer the best I can. Thanks
brewbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:21 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewbetter View Post
Well, the edit function went away on my previous post, so, I can't add photos for some reason. When I click on add photo, it wants a URL for the photo, and I can't seem to find that. If you have questions, please post and I'll try to answer the best I can. Thanks
The edit window is one hour after you post. To add photos, you don't have to use a URL. Follow the instructions at this link to upload photos using the Attachment Manager.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/foru...tml#post477709
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, install, charger