Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2018, 11:04 AM   #1

Man, I was cold last night

I am trying to save propane and only run the furnace long enough to take the chill out if the trailer. Then I use two electric heaters to try to keep the temp up.

The electric heaters are set on low as I only have 20amps coming into the trailer. I tried setting one on high and it affects the other heater. On low they both operate fine.

I am in a 2013 Keystone Vantage 25RBS and staying in the mountains 75 miles east of Pittsburgh for a few more nights. Already been here a month....ugh.

I never dreamed I would need to use this trailer this time of year but here I am. A Nov. wedding is why. This has me wondering how warm other trailers are.
Even when I use the propane furnace to heat the trailer up to 76 which it does in this small(ish) trailer easy. Lol, I should sleep on the floor in the bathroom as that warms up the most while the bed area gets the least heat.

I have cold spots at the head of the bed as well as a lot of other spots in the trailer. I do not need to know what to do but wonder if all other trailers have this same issue. Very difficult to keep warm when temps drop below freezing?

Oh, the last few nights I should be better as they are not going to be as cold.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2018, 12:24 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yep, that is the way most of them are! The walls are only 2" thick...not nearly the insulation of a house.

Many don't have double pane windows either.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:35 PM   #3

Use a fan to circulate air to even out the temp. Personally, I set the furnace or electric heaters on about 60 and just add a blanket or wear a sweatshirt. While boondocking a couple months ago, I forgot to turn on the furnace before going to bed. Woke up to ice on the windshield and 47 deg inside. That was a tad brisk.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:37 PM   #4

If temps are dropping below freezing then YOU staying warm is least of possible issues ie: frozen plumbing

Run the Furnace.....you stay warm and plumbing lines don't freeze/burst

Takes propane AND the furnace to maintain comfortable temps

Go fill up those propane cylinders and USE it
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I am trying to save propane and only run the furnace long enough to take the chill out if the trailer. Then I use two electric heaters to try to keep the temp up.

The electric heaters are set on low as I only have 20amps coming into the trailer. I tried setting one on high and it affects the other heater. On low they both operate fine.

I am in a 2013 Keystone Vantage 25RBS and staying in the mountains 75 miles east of Pittsburgh for a few more nights. Already been here a month....ugh.

I never dreamed I would need to use this trailer this time of year but here I am. A Nov. wedding is why. This has me wondering how warm other trailers are.
Even when I use the propane furnace to heat the trailer up to 76 which it does in this small(ish) trailer easy. Lol, I should sleep on the floor in the bathroom as that warms up the most while the bed area gets the least heat.

I have cold spots at the head of the bed as well as a lot of other spots in the trailer. I do not need to know what to do but wonder if all other trailers have this same issue. Very difficult to keep warm when temps drop below freezing?

Oh, the last few nights I should be better as they are not going to be as cold.
Try keeping the slide in ... a lot of heat is lost through old seals and the gaps.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:54 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Couple of tricks that will help.

1. Cover the windows with reflective insulation.
2. If your rig has slides bring the in if possible. Slides seal better retracted and the will reduce the interior air volume that needs to be heated.
3. Use a small fan to circulate the air.
4. Electric blankets. They really do work, very well, and sip electrical power.

Don't try and skimp too much on saving the propane. Don't forget it also supplies warm air to keep the tanks from freezing.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:06 PM   #7

This trailer does not have dual pane windows and is not advertised as being heavily insulated. It is not an Artic Fox or ORV or even a Lance.

I start out with the propane furnace and two electric heaters. But even with 2 electric heaters the furnace runs 4 mins on then 4 min off. I eventually have the trailer warm when I go to bed. I can not fall asleep with the propane furnace running 50% or the time so I turn it off. But 4 hours later brrr, I wake up cold.

I sleep with socks, hoody sweatshirt and tossle cap on. Last night was extra cold outside, a clear night that I think the temps dropped to 28 or 29 degrees.

I have a tower oscillating electric heater to try to spread heat. Also a stationary small box electric heater.

I moved to Florida but the wife likes the idea of spending Thanksgiving in the north. If we want to use a trailer as a hotel
room (like I am doing now) then I probably need that Artic Fox trailer.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:12 PM   #8

SUGGESTION:
In our water/water heater storage area we have an 120V electric outlet. Use it with an incandescent light. It keeps the area warm without using propane.
Regards,
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:27 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Sorry.I don’t care about all hype, and BS the sales guys or brochures say ; these things are not built for temperature extremes, winter or summer!
Old 11-04-2018, 01:51 PM   #10

Here is a pic of my set-up. I am plugged into a 20amp outlet in the pole barn. I am on my friends property. Actually all in all, I have a very nice set-up here.

I do want to somehow test the Artic Fox. I will explain I will not buy an Artic Fox unless I can test it at the dealership for insulation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181104_153329.jpeg
Views:	301
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	224967
Old 11-04-2018, 02:03 PM   #11

Have you tried shutting all the shades set temp at about 45 Degrees so nothing freezes shutting the door really tight Locking all the doors.and getting a Motel.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 04:21 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
To answer your question: Some TT's are better insulated than others. Having had a Keystone, they are not one with great insulation.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:34 PM   #13

We are nice and cozy in our Alfa. Heat pumps do a good job down until the low 30's. We've only had the furnace kick on once or twice - it kicks in as "emergency heat" when the thermostat is 5 below what you set it.

I have a little 1500watt job in the bathroom area to warm that up in the mornings...I have been pleasantly surprised how warm we are. My biggest complaint is the floor is cold. Might do heated floors next

4 seasons trailer with heated underbelly and a basement ac/heat-pump system. Can't beat it.

Edit: sorry, just realized this was the TT section...
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:47 PM   #14

We just came out of North Dakota with our fifth wheel and one night last week it got down to 9F. We heat our camper with a elec fireplace and 1 space heater and during the night only use the space heater. We also put reflex it in the windows and vents, use a elec blanket, and put a 100W lamp near the water pump/tank. In the morning the camper is mid 50's inside (we like cold rooms for sleeping) and we will turn on the fireplace to get it back to the mid 60's inside. For cold floors, we wear slippers and put a heating pad under the desk to warm the feet.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote