Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2020, 07:31 AM   #1

Marker light replacement advice to led 84 Nomad

I am shopping for led light replacements for my marker lights on side and back or my 84 Nomad 22' travel trailer. They are dim incandescants and would like advice on better led replacment quality markers. Would like to use original 3" seperated mounting holes and current base sizes are 4x 1 1//2" with center hole for wires on mount (originals have a power and ground wire that I assume are each "daisy chained" throughout the trailer). I measured across power and neutral at bulbs and only get 9v on tailight bulbs and 6-7 volts on small marker bulbs. Markers are finicky when wiring pulled out a little from inside holes so I am concerned about integrity of how well (sodered ?) all is connected inside trailer walls from original wiring methods. Hoping low power requirements on LEDs might help with dimness and new connections in base might help with finicky intermittance. (All wiring pulled back from hole in metal skin looks good)Any advice on shopping for better quality leds not outrageously priced and wiring concerns (intermittance in series on upper level group of 3 rear lights) would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot
newrver49
P.S. Reviews from verified owners for kits of qty of 14 or so have not been good for $40 range prices.

(hopefully I will be able to find where any response will be on the forum.)
NEWRVER49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2020, 08:14 AM   #2

Check with Bargeman Products...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:36 PM   #3

One thing you should consider is the time its going to replace one of those LED markers when it dies. I was going to update all of my lighting to LED but 1 week after replacing just one...it died. It was made by Optronics...good brand too. I tell you...cleaning Lexel off was way way worse than the silicone that was there before. If I left it incandescent all I would have had to do was replace a bulb which takes 30 seconds vs the 30 minutes spent to replace the whole light.
green_plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:26 AM   #4

Thanks for replies from Bob Caldwell & green plaid for coments. As I mentioned, lack of brightness/intensity, is something I would like to improve on and flicker on and off pulling on wires to base of markers outward from holes causes headscratching/can't figure out the issue? Anyone know how wiring runs inside skin on old trailers like this? Do wires feeding marker light bases daisy chain off one wire with solder connections or screw caps. Trying to understand why power to lights so fragile to top rear group of marker lights on trailer. Would hate to have to open corner seals and rear roof fastening strip to roll open siding at top rear of trailer to inspect and redo connections unnecessarily. As I mentioned, the top row of rear marker lights are finicky on/off when feed wires at base are moved around. Grateful for any trouble shooting experiences relative.

Thanks to all
NEWRVER49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:53 PM   #5

If they are 194 lamps, (or any other for that matter) it's an easy matter to change out the bulbs to LED. I did some with a 5 LED bulb from Super Bright LEDs to replace 194 lamps. The sockets may need cleaning and a light coat of dielectric grease to help prevent corrosion. If you are having wiring issues, you will have to remove the fixtures and reseal them upon re-installation with butyl.

Charles
Old 08-10-2020, 01:40 AM   #6

If the fixture isn't bad, just replace the bulb with LEDs. I replaced all of mine (inside and out). Added two inside fixtures. The owner/manager or whatever was most helpful. They specialize in RV lights, too.
I've been using them a little over a year with no problem.

https://m4products.com/
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:43 AM   #7

By the way... ref on/off... if the bulb sockets are spring loaded you are pulling the contact from the bulb.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:54 AM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
Redneck Trailer supplies has a large selection of LED lighting.

https://www.redneck-trailer.com/prod...ices/products/

That specific web page allows you to download their catalogs.
stinger608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:45 PM   #9

Just get'em off of Amazon, they are all Chinese made anyway no matter where you buy them.

https://www.amazon.com/Partsam-Bulls...s%2C221&sr=8-5
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, advice, led, light, replacement