Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2018, 08:29 AM   #15

When we first got our TT and started making reservations at campgrounds they always asked how long our TT was. The first half dozen times or so I would ask if they meant the box length or the overall length including the tongue/hitch. They always said the overall length including tongue and hitch. Everyone of them said that.

I don't think it matters too much except for some instances that we've been in such as out in Colorado. There was one state park that max length allowed was 35'. We had trouble maneuvering with our 30' (overall length) TT. Also down in Key West at Boyds this past winter. We were told to park in a space that was allowed to have a TT up to 30'. There is no way anything over that length would fit. They squeeze you in like sardines down there.
Dmrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2018, 09:08 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Our 5er was listed as a 41. While calculating the overall length of the rig (front bumper to hitch on truck, pin to back bumper on trailer) I discovered that the 41 was from the pin to the back bumper. The 3' in front of the pin was bonus room.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:37 AM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
I tried to answer the OP's question with a general answer from what I had read, researched, and experienced. I avoided a definitive statement because it is different for different manufacturers and campgrounds. Others jumped in with "tongue and rear bumper add about 3 ft to any trailer." "There is always 3-4 feet to hitch length." At least weredoingit cautioned it was what he discovered with his 2955 RL Montana 5ver "the 29 was the inside length. outside is over 32'" I also said take a tape measure when shopping for an RV. The many contradictory declarations of others just reinforce my original post recommendations.

Most State and National Park CG won't measure your RV at the gate, but they might recognize an issue with an overlength RV if you're really beyond the CG limits.

You might want to read this:

https://camperreport.com/best-rv-len...ational-parks/

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I tried to answer the OP's question with a general answer from what I had read, researched, and experienced. I avoided a definitive statement because it is different for different manufacturers and campgrounds. Others jumped in with "tongue and rear bumper add about 3 ft to any trailer." "There is always 3-4 feet to hitch length." At least weredoingit cautioned it was what he discovered with his 2955 RL Montana 5ver "the 29 was the inside length. outside is over 32'" I also said take a tape measure when shopping for an RV. The many contradictory declarations of others just reinforce my original post recommendations.

Most State and National Park CG won't measure your RV at the gate, but they might recognize an issue with an overlength RV if you're really beyond the CG limits.

You might want to read this:

https://camperreport.com/best-rv-len...ational-parks/

Nice link! Very informative.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:31 AM   #19

Great idea! Remember when backing up there is no rush and having a spotter (or getting out and checking/looking) is a good way to prevent mishaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osugasman View Post
Thanks for all the great input. Plan on spending an hour or two in an open parking lot with my wife and some cones to figure out turns and back ins. Thanks, Brian
rowekmr is offline   Reply With Quote