Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2020, 05:43 PM   #1

Might upsize after first season 😐 couple questions

So I love the Grand Design 21bhe. It has been a great trailer all summer and use all of it. I might want a little bigger but don’t want to size out of easy camping sites or be forced to only do pull thru sites. My dilemma is getting another bunkhouse that also have living room space. My current trailer has the Murphy bed/couch and allows the 4 of us to hang in the same room. I love the 2400bh and the Winnebago 2301bhs. But both don’t have any seating other than the dinette. My big question is, is the 32 footer like a 2800bh or 27bhss going to be too much length to enjoy camping? I have 25’ total now. It sounds like 25 to 32 isn’t much but I can tell that it is. Any suggestions. Should I just
Move up to one with a private bedroom and slide for more space or is the 32 not a big deal when going all over.
ardvark16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2020, 06:32 PM   #2

32 won't be an issue at all. My,coach measures just under 42 and I have no,problems with camping, and I camp strictly in state parks, Coe, and np. I haven't had a problem getting a site (reservation yes due to increased camping) when I am looking. I do cheat and will go in a site that says 35 max length, as long as there isn't a tree at the back, I just hang the backend over.
mattyrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:07 PM   #3

IMHO, most limitations start with 40 feet. We still get in most places, but we have found some places to be too tight either with height or length. We were previously in a 30' TT (32 and a half feet counting the tongue/bumper) and never had any issues.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:08 AM   #4

The biggest limitation for length seems to be national parks, many start getting hard to stay in when you get around 30ft or longer, but you can usually find places just outside of the park.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark16 View Post
I might want a little bigger but don’t want to size out of easy camping sites or be forced to only do pull thru sites.

I have a 21' foot trailer and have thought this as well, so I began to be conscious of the campsite parking as a test. When hitched I'm 42' and unhitched 44' to allow easy truck bed access, and most of the time I'll have 4' to 10' in front of the truck before the bumper reaches the road, and this is just parking straight with the trailer/pad, not angling it to clear the road. I have had shorter parking sites too but they were also wider to accommodate parking.

I have 25’ total now. It sounds like 25 to 32 isn’t much but I can tell that it is. Any suggestions, is the 32 not a big deal when going all over.
The longer trailer will be different no doubt, but the adjustment is easy enough. You have experience towing the 25 footer so you know what to look out for with the 32, tail swing and right turns will be the first to adjust to but after a while you'll forget all about towing a 25 and just enjoy the ride.
guten tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 05:07 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My comments echo earlier responses: If you're comfortable towing the 21bhe, you'll probably adapt readily to a larger trailer, and smaller is definitely an advantage when camping in many State and National Parks, but a larger trailer will not preclude you from private RV parks or most public campgrounds.

You didn't mention your tow vehicle. The two Grand Design models you mentioned will add an additional 1,500 or 2,000 pounds to your set-up, and that's just the unloaded weight. Be sure that your tow vehicle is equipped to safely haul the extra weight before moving up - and DON'T take a salesperson's word for it. Check your equipment and run the numbers yourself.

Happy travels,

Mary
4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:01 AM   #7

I was similar to you. Had a non-slide, murphy bed bunk house model and after 1 year I realized it was too small. Went to a GD 27bhs (32') and its still been easy to camp with. Haven't regretted it.
modrodr is offline   Reply With Quote