Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #1

Most reliable-Jayco, Snow River,Forest River?

Considering dumping our Dutchmen. Looking at Jayco 29RLDS, Snow River 246RKS or 256RLSS or Forest River T28RKX. Any good or bad experiences with these models or manufacturers? We need at least a mid-grade trailer...no more entry level. Too many problems with our new Dutchmen. Appreciate any input or other reliable brands or models. Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #2

Had a rockwood 2604(forest river) had several problems not impressed with the product or the dealer.I traded in on jayco 298res and been very happy to me the quality and service is great not sure about the other brand, but I hope this helps
Jace Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
Forest River Owners Club
We have a Jayco Eagle 291RLTS 5th wheel. I like it a lot. No major problems.

Dawn
2012 Coachmen Encounter towing 2010 Honda FIT
Dawn309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #4

I have a 2012 Jayco JayFlight for 6+ mths. We are very happy and have no issues to date.
Clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #5

Carolina Campers
We had a Surveyor, which is made by Forest River, and now have a Starcraft Autumn Ridge, which is now owned by Jayco. The Starcraft's quality is HANDS DOWN superior to the Surveyor. Now keep in mind we never did have anything major go wrong with the Surveyor but it was more of the little things coming loose, screws just falling out just falling out of certain things, ect. Also know we only had it a year. The Starcraft is much better built and seems to be a much better all around unit.
lunatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
We're the third owners of a 1995 Jayco Eagle fiver. It is seventeen years old and shows no signs of falling apart. We've corrected issues that the previous owners created through lack of maintenance, and we are now living in the fiver full time quite comfortably.

Seventeen years old, not properly maintained in its early life, and it's still a solid RV. Does that tell you anything?

I vote Jayco.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #7

Hi! We have. 2012 jayco 33rlds and love it so far. We did our homework and checked out a lot of makes and models. I thought the surveyors were a bit cheaper in terms of materials such as chipboard and such. The fit and finish wasn't quite as nice however they were less expensive to purchase. In the end we went with the jayco based on reputation, materials, fit and finish and layout. Long term test to be determined.

Just my $0.02

RaveOn!
RaveOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
Forest River Owners Club
I forgot to say earlier our first 5th wheel was a Forest River Grand Surveyor. After just a few trips, we traded it for the Eagle. We have been much happier with the Eagle and have had it for about 3 years now.
2012 Coachmen Encounter towing 2010 Honda FIT
Dawn309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #9

We owned a Jayco designer series 39RLTS 5er for 10 years. That was a very well made trailer and their customer service department sets the gold standard for customer care. You can not go wrong with a Jayco. In many ways I wish I had not sold it. At its price point it is very well made.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #10

Just purchased a Jayco Jayflight 22FB
We looked at a bunch of others and liked the layout the features and the quality
Better floor construction, Better roof, Better cabinet work
They are just better built in my opinion
RoadrunnerII
Old 04-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #11

Thanks all. We ended up trading the Dutchmen in for a 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS. Hoping it serves us well for many years. We just lost all confidence in the Dutchmen after it spent 23 days in the shop in March only to go back for 22 days. And this was all after 45 days or so in and out of the shop from Sept to March. Didn't look like we were ever going to be able to camp in it.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #12

Purchased a 2012 Windjammer 3002. Signed the papers, arranged a day to pick it up, and two days later was informed they had discovered a problem with one of the motors driving one of the slide-outs. They sent it back to Forest River, and it was returned about a week and a half later. Arranged to pick it up again... When we arrived to install our hitch (a Propride unit) the right rear tire was flat. They replaced the tire with a tire from another new unit. After installing our hitch and getting ready to leave, I spotted a screw in the left rear tire. They replaced that one with another tire from another new unit.

It was a 50 mile drive from the dealer to our home. On the way, we discovered the trailer brakes were not operating correctly. At first the dealer told us it was probably our tow vehicle. We swapped tow vehicles with a neighbor and had the same experience. We then took the trailer to a local mechanic who put the trailer on a lift. He said the front axle was working correctly, but the rear axle was not. We took it back to the dealer and eventually the problem was resolved as a warranty issue with the axle manufacturer.

So we are now a bit gunshy with this trailer, as it has had a number of problems and we haven't even taken it camping the first time yet. We're keeping our fingers crossed!
csteffee is offline   Reply With Quote