Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2021, 03:02 PM   #1

Mounting a generator on my Trailer

I have a Champion 3400 watt dual fuel inverter generator. It weighs about 100 pounds dry. I'd like a way to mount it on my Jayco 212QB somewhere. I'm already running close on max tongue weight towing with my Durango, so I think I'm limited to carrying it on the rear bumper somehow or even storing it in the camper (not my first choice especially if it has gas in it.

Looking for people who have added bumper shelves or whatever to the rear for ideas.

I've never really boondocked and probably won't. Just curious how others might do this. The generator is mainly for back up during hurricane season. It runs the AC and hot water heater and we can run the fridge in the house. That way we have a cool place to sleep. hot water for a shower and can keep the main fridge going so our food does not spoil.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2021, 04:06 PM   #2

i mounted our 3500 w Champion to my rear bumper. i extended the bumper about 8" to get the weight of the gen centered over the bumper tube with different bumper mounts to the frame. it works great. i also built a davit to remove the gen from the bumper mounting and put it back on. the davit fits in a socket and is removed and stored on the wall of my storage compartment. it works very easy not much effort to unload or load. we spent almost 5 weeks in Alaska it came in real handy.
Jay D.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7421[1].jpg
Views:	105
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	331547  
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:37 PM   #3

Mount n lock generator tray and bumper supports is what I added to my fifth wheel to haul my 158# Yamaha. It worked great.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:40 PM   #4

I've had a Honda 2000W and a Genrac iq3500 on the bumper and both vibrate the trailer.
Carrying it there is no biggie if you support it right. Running it there for me was annoying.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 07:43 PM   #5

Just an fyi I aquired a honda 3000is that was in a wood box with broken u bolts that was in a ditch. Seems it WAS attached to said rear bumper tube on a camper on a bumpy section of road. You won't know its missing till you get to the campsite......
Grinder.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:01 AM   #6

I'd take it off to run it. I can imagine how annoying that would be when trying to sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I've had a Honda 2000W and a Genrac iq3500 on the bumper and both vibrate the trailer.
Carrying it there is no biggie if you support it right. Running it there for me was annoying.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:03 AM   #7

I assume that is not a store bought modification. Looks like some nice metal work. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
i mounted our 3500 w Champion to my rear bumper. i extended the bumper about 8" to get the weight of the gen centered over the bumper tube with different bumper mounts to the frame. it works great. i also built a davit to remove the gen from the bumper mounting and put it back on. the davit fits in a socket and is removed and stored on the wall of my storage compartment. it works very easy not much effort to unload or load. we spent almost 5 weeks in Alaska it came in real handy.
Jay D.
Old 06-10-2021, 08:15 AM   #8

Mounting a generator on my Trailer

Sounds like to me you would be better off keeping it inside the trailer, for the chance you may need to take it with you.

Don’t know your trailer but considering your not going to be boondocking all that much, or not at all, and the restraints on your TV, not sure its worth the trouble to add a mount. Leaving it inside also allows for placement over, or slightly rear of the axels, which helps greatly with a limited tow vehicle.

We load our Honda 2200i in the front storage compartment, and even after going down rough roads, I have yet to smell a hint of gasoline in there.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 02:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
we use ours on the trailer if its just an overnight stay or if we pull off the road for lunch and need the power. it doesn't really make that much noise or vibrate much, you can hear it but for a few minutes its not annoying. for an overnight its used to run the coffee maker and the wife's curling irons and hair drier in the morning i can start it with the remote so the coffee is going before i get up. if boondocking we have a long extension cord so i can set the gen away from the camper.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:31 PM   #10

Have you considered replacing the Durango with a truck?
mokurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:38 PM   #11

Virtually every video or pics of a trailer sway accident that I have seen, the trailer had a bunch of crap (usually including a generator) installed on the back bumper. You will be surprised how little weight change it takes to make an trailer handle badly, or scary.

My Bigfoot has the fresh water tank at the very rear on the floor underneath the bed. Terrible place, I have been putting all the weight I can over or forward of the axles to help with the handling, its OK now, but I have considered putting the spare tire underneath on a hoist or frame to get more weight forward.

Putting weight on the very front and rear of a trailer is really a poor idea, as it creates what I call the "bar-bell effect". The inertial force created by the weight at the very ends contributes to making a trailer continuing to sway after the smallest upset due to wind or a passing truck.

I think you need a heavier tow vehicle.

Charles
Old 06-11-2021, 04:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
Virtually every video or pics of a trailer sway accident that I have seen, the trailer had a bunch of crap (usually including a generator) installed on the back bumper. You will be surprised how little weight change it takes to make an trailer handle badly, or scary.

My Bigfoot has the fresh water tank at the very rear on the floor underneath the bed. Terrible place, I have been putting all the weight I can over or forward of the axles to help with the handling, its OK now, but I have considered putting the spare tire underneath on a hoist or frame to get more weight forward.

Putting weight on the very front and rear of a trailer is really a poor idea, as it creates what I call the "bar-bell effect". The inertial force created by the weight at the very ends contributes to making a trailer continuing to sway after the smallest upset due to wind or a passing truck.

I think you need a heavier tow vehicle.

Charles
Agreed.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 06:20 AM   #13

We’ve gotten off track here. I actually found several add on bumpers that would accommodate my generator eTrailer should I decide to do this.

I certainly appreciate everyone’s concern and since I’ve been around on this site for a while anyone interested can look up discussions I’ve posted on towing this trailer with the Durango. I’ve done the math and weigh my loaded rig.

As to mokurt’s question, yes, I’ve considered a truck. I just have not convinced myself to pull the trigger but a nice 2500 Ram is probably in my future. That should tow just about anything I’m likely to get since I don’t want a trailer any bigger than I have. Fortunately for my wallet, gas 2500 standard beds are as rare as hen’s teeth around here on the lots. Everyone is selling fully dressed out diesels for $85k+ and those are easy to walk away from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokurt View Post
Have you considered replacing the Durango with a truck?
Old 06-11-2021, 08:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post

As to mokurt’s question, yes, I’ve considered a truck. I just have not convinced myself to pull the trigger but a nice 2500 Ram is probably in my future. That should tow just about anything I’m likely to get since I don’t want a trailer any bigger than I have. Fortunately for my wallet, gas 2500 standard beds are as rare as hen’s teeth around here on the lots. Everyone is selling fully dressed out diesels for $85k+ and those are easy to walk away from.
I'm towing our 25 ft. Jayco with a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel with 180K miles.
Bought this truck used in 2002 with 30K miles on it.

Looked at new ones last year but just to expensive for us.Even newer used ones were expensive!
My old dodge does well.
mokurt is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, trailer