Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #1

Mouse control...?

No I'm not talking about Computers.... I need to find a product that will keep the mice out of my trailer during the winter, we have problems with field mice. I was told to put dryer laundry sheets around inside the trailer. Does anyone out there know of any other ideas?

Mudman1959
mudman1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The only thing I found that worked after trying all the other tricks were the wire spring trap with peanut butter as bait.
The others might work but our mice new better to fool with a mouse trap.
Caught 12 one winter before most got the message.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Vinegar works and it's cheap. I use some of the cotton pads for removing makeup, soak them in the vinegar and then place them in various places. We keep our motorhome in a pole barn so we also dump a gallon of vinegar around the outside as well. The smell is easier to get rid of than moth balls in the spring too.
BransGram08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:34 PM   #4

There is one mouse bait (forgot name) that is in waxy block form. It will not melt, dry out, (waterproof) or fall apart. I toss blocks back into places that a pet, or child cannot access. Mice eat the bait, die and dry-up quickly- no odor whatsoever.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:28 AM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
After 30 years of commecial pest control in Florida:

The only fool proof "mouse control" is to seal the trailer from entry by mice. That is, EVERY opening larger than a dime must be sealed.

Use copper or brass steel wool, (regular steel wool rusts), or hardware cloth with 1/4" grid or smaller. Don't use spray foam, as the mice can chew through it.

Is it a lot of work to find and seal every opening? Sure, but if it is done right, you will only need to do it once for the life of the unit.

As in life, shortcuts may or may not work. You may put more time into finding a "easy way", than you would doing it right the first time.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:01 AM   #6

We have had mice use dryer sheets to build nests so I don't have much faith in them. I can tell you that moth balls will work if you use enough of them and keep them fresh. But they will also permeate the RV with their odors and so you will need to remove them and air the RV before use.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Evergreen Owners Club
We have had a few people tell us that mice don't like peppermint.
So we have used peppermint oil on cotton balls in baby food jars.
As it will eat away at plastic containers.
We have had No more problems with mice and the camper smells good when you open it up in the spring too.
dae3662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
IC2

I have tried probably everything to control rodents in campers - mice as well as chipmunks. The only thing that works 100% is to plug every hole - and that takes some time spent on your back under the unit, in storage bins(basements) covering reefer vents, drain penetrations and wiring access holes.

The next best - a couple of nasty barn cats
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I tuck a couple packages of DECON poison bait at each wheel...Have been doing it for the past 6 years. No mice. I also make sure the coach is COMPLETELY sealed underneath and at the slide room ram where there is a penetration through the frame. (you'd think the Mfg's would make a rubber boot to close this opening during the build process...it's like an open invitation.)

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #10

We also use pure peppermint oil from GNC, just bought a new bottle today. Had mice one day, put fresh peppermint oil on cotton pads in the basement and under the counters and they were gone the next day. We have done this several times and it worked each time.

Why don't we just keep the peppermint pads all the time? The DW does not like the smell of peppermint in the MH.

Ken
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
So.. Best thing would be to seal the openings, place bait/poison in the wheels, and use peppermint oil... Awesome, thanks!
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:24 AM   #12
IC2

After the smelly mess I found in our home caused by literally pounds of DeCon used by the previous owner - no way will I use that as mouse control in our 5er. I still find an occasional skeleton or a platter of DeCon - 18 years later!! I plugged the holes - and no mice since (well, a couple that snuck in last year when I left a door open by mistake). But - to each his own
Old 11-07-2011, 06:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
After 30 years of commecial pest control in Florida:

The only fool proof "mouse control" is to seal the trailer from entry by mice. That is, EVERY opening larger than a dime must be sealed.

Use copper or brass steel wool, (regular steel wool rusts), or hardware cloth with 1/4" grid or smaller. Don't use spray foam, as the mice can chew through it.

Is it a lot of work to find and seal every opening? Sure, but if it is done right, you will only need to do it once for the life of the unit.

As in life, shortcuts may or may not work. You may put more time into finding a "easy way", than you would doing it right the first time.
I agree 100%...been that route and it worked but was quite a bit of work and time....Mice can find the holes better than you can. I could not get any SS wool so I used regular and embedded it in clear silicone caulk which also helped to keep it in place and seal out any cool drafts. Made the 5th wheel easier to heat as a bonus! Do chek the wiring to clearance lights as they go through the wall and make a great rodent hwy!
Ian
Old 11-07-2011, 09:31 AM   #14
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groveite View Post
I agree 100%...been that route and it worked but was quite a bit of work and time....Mice can find the holes better than you can. I could not get any SS wool so I used regular and embedded it in clear silicone caulk which also helped to keep it in place and seal out any cool drafts. Made the 5th wheel easier to heat as a bonus! Do chek the wiring to clearance lights as they go through the wall and make a great rodent hwy!
Ian
Your local Dollar or similar store will have SS pot scrubbers - usually a buck for two. The ones that say copper are usually flash coated steel and will rust within weeks.