Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2021, 03:04 PM   #1

Mudflap app fuel discount

Does anyone use the gas saving app mudflap and if so is it good or not. Do you know of anyone who has used it?
100amp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2021, 03:36 PM   #2

I've signed up for the one most RV'ers are talking about these days, TSD. They have a bunch of chain truck stops in their program. I have my card but haven't used it yet.

Then I've signed up for a regional card...Pacific Pride.

The cringe worthy part of any of these outfits is you have to give them your personal info like addy and phone #, your bank acct #, AND your SSN. That is unless you have a EIN# from the feds. Those ARE easy to get, but if you're a retired RV'er, and don't submit a Form C, the EIN number expires. So you're kinda forced to use your SSN.

As I said, I've signed up to two of those setups and though I've heard lots of good things about them both, I'm still worried about their security. But the lure of $0.55 off of each gallon is too tempting these days of nearly $4/gallon diesel where I am.

BTW, Flying J/Love's have opted out of the program for TSD just recently. No explanation.

I'll check into this Mudflap one...thanks for giving us the heads up!

Hey, Mudflap looks pretty good. I like being able to use them with only having to give them a CC number...you have some consumer protection that way. Unless their video doesn't show everything they need.

If you get one soon, let us know how it goes, what you save, and the info they want.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 03:50 PM   #3

I have Mudflap and TSD. I check both along with GasBuddy before I need fuel.
As an example where I live the Road Ranger truck stop GasBuddy list at $3.59. TSD shows $3.34 and Mudflap is $3.04.
With Mudflap you get a fuel code through the app on your phone that you must go into the station and present to the cashier before pumping.
FireballMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 04:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I've signed up for the one most RV'ers are talking about these days, TSD. ..

BTW, Flying J/Love's have opted out of the program for TSD just recently. No explanation.
Love's, as of today, is still listed in the TSD program... You might be thinking of Pilot.

It turns out Flying J/Pilot had an existing fuel disount contract with Good Sam that had a clause in it that doesn't allow any other RV discount programs... Good Sam forced them to drop TSD's RV discount program.

And Good Sam's discount is a joke, many believe they are pocketing most the discount and only passing on a small amount to the memeber.

https://www.rvtravel.com/diesel-938/

"So the good news/bad news is this: If you have a Good Sam Club membership, your card will get you a few cents off fuel at Pilot/Flying J outlets, as opposed to the much greater discount you couldíve had there in the past with the TSD fuel card. We understand that a deal is a deal, and we certainly donít hold it against TSD that this discount has vanished."

Once again "Good Sam" goes for profits over customer sastifaction.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:52 PM   #5

In my local homebase area, Mudflap has deeper discounts than any other app or the TSD card. The other app that I use is GetUpside. You can find some decent deals, but only for 50 gallons. They GU can get you cash back on groceries and dinners out too.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:07 AM   #6

Grand Design Owners Club
I looked at the MudFlap APP along with TSD, since I try to limit how many places gets personal information it was not a good fit for my lifestyle. The lure of what appeared to be deep discounts was tempting. However, I have found while planning the next fuel stop using GasBuddy, I could meet and beat their discount.
My strategy has been to search the big box Grocery store chains near the main highways like HEB, Kroger (Super K) and Winn-Dixe, most have affiliates that honor the same cards.
Don’t have a member card, if you need some supplies stop at the customer service desk and get one name, address and phone number is all they need. Most even offer 3 cents additional off fuel price even when you may not have any shopping points built up.
This last 2500 mile trip I was able to beat the fuel stop chain conveniently located at the exit by the best price of 78 cents per gal or at least by 6 cents per gal at the discounted rate.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:34 AM   #7

Depending on RV size... the grocery store gas stations can be problematic.

For instance, all in my truck and trailer are 55 feet long. Most the grocery store gas stations seem to be stuck in tight corners with no true pull through pumps (eg they all face the building and parked cars) making it hazardous to impossible to get in and out when your that long. Several of the ones around me the back of the trailer would still be in the street when the truck is at the pump.

This is where TSD and other programs help as the discounts are at large travel centers or truck stops that are generally adjacent to highway exits, and are really easy to get in and out. Yes you can almost always beat the price, but it's really nice to not have to go down a bunch of small city streets into a cramped gas station that I really don't fit in all to save 10 cents a gallon, my fuel load is about 36 gallons, so I'm giving up a whole $3.60 for convienance and less stress.

Now if was driving a Jeep pulling a teardrop, or even in a 25' Motorhome... I would go after the cheaper gas stations more as long as they aren't too far off the route.

Then there are people like my Step-Dad that can't for the like of them, put the big picture together. He would drive, no kidding, 20 miles out of his way to "save" 3 cents a gallon when filling his 100 gal diesel transfer tank, "saving" a whole $3.00 total. When we would try to explain he just spent more than $3.00 burning diesel to go the 20 miles so he actually lost money.. he would argue to the end of the Earth we were crazy because he just saved $3.00....
Old 07-31-2021, 07:08 PM   #8

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilletface View Post
I looked at the MudFlap APP along with TSD, since I try to limit how many places gets personal information it was not a good fit for my lifestyle. The lure of what appeared to be deep discounts was tempting. However, I have found while planning the next fuel stop using GasBuddy, I could meet and beat their discount.
My strategy has been to search the big box Grocery store chains near the main highways like HEB, Kroger (Super K) and Winn-Dixe, most have affiliates that honor the same cards.
Donít have a member card, if you need some supplies stop at the customer service desk and get one name, address and phone number is all they need. Most even offer 3 cents additional off fuel price even when you may not have any shopping points built up.
This last 2500 mile trip I was able to beat the fuel stop chain conveniently located at the exit by the best price of 78 cents per gal or at least by 6 cents per gal at the discounted rate.
Wow, to bad some folks folks are willing to open up their wallets and pay an inflated price when shopping for a fueling point, there are so many big box stops within 2 miles of a big road, my is rig 57í in length. Trying not to insult anyone, I do understand there is a confidantes and skill level involved in your decision.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:47 PM   #9

Usually use TSD on trips.

Also had good results with the app "Fuelbook"
Old 08-01-2021, 09:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilletface View Post
Wow, to bad some folks folks are willing to open up their wallets and pay an inflated price when shopping for a fueling point, there are so many big box stops within 2 miles of a big road, my is rig 57í in length. Trying not to insult anyone, I do understand there is a confidantes and skill level involved in your decision.
I use Google Maps satelite view to check space and turn around area before I go to any non-truck stop.

Around where I live, a lot of the big box gas stations are so small or close to the street my trailer would still be in the street with my truck at the pump, and or not enough room to pull through so you would have to back out into the road... so one does have to be careful.

Also, there is a convienance factor. If I can only save 5 cents a gallon vs a truck stop with discount card, I'll only go to the alternative "cheaper" place if it is easy to get into/out off.

My total fuel capacity on my truck is 38 gallons. so a 5 cent differnce is only $1.80, and that is if my tank was completely empty. So in reality I would only be saving about a buck or so. I'm willing to spend a dollar on low stress and convience.

Now if the differnce is like 75 cents a gallon, I'll be more "motivated"
Old 08-01-2021, 09:57 AM   #11

Quote:

Then I've signed up for a regional card...Pacific Pride.
what has your experience been with pacific pride? i thought they were for commercial accounts only. i don't believe that they have an rv option. but i may be wrong.

there is a pacific pride station in our town and it says 'commercial fueling'.

can as non-commercial rv join?
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollf View Post
I use Google Maps satelite view to check space and turn around area before I go to any non-truck stop.

Around where I live, a lot of the big box gas stations are so small or close to the street my trailer would still be in the street with my truck at the pump, and or not enough room to pull through so you would have to back out into the road... so one does have to be careful.

Also, there is a convienance factor. If I can only save 5 cents a gallon vs a truck stop with discount card, I'll only go to the alternative "cheaper" place if it is easy to get into/out off.

My total fuel capacity on my truck is 38 gallons. so a 5 cent differnce is only $1.80, and that is if my tank was completely empty. So in reality I would only be saving about a buck or so. I'm willing to spend a dollar on low stress and convience.

Now if the differnce is like 75 cents a gallon, I'll be more "motivated"
I used to do the same Google Earth type search the night before travel but it became a chore trying to save a few bucks on fuel because sometimes I couldn't tell for sure, place would be packed in the early morning, or I'd arrive at the station and the diesel pumps would be out of order, or there wasn't enough room after all. So I stopped worrying about that and just looked for stations close to the freeway or where I'm staying. Big box store stations like at Costco or Safeway are just packed most of the time so they're out. Too much possibility of an accident.

Old 08-01-2021, 10:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
what has your experience been with pacific pride? i thought they were for commercial accounts only. i don't believe that they have an rv option. but i may be wrong.

there is a pacific pride station in our town and it says 'commercial fueling'.

can as non-commercial rv join?
I just joined as there is a PP station just a few miles from me on the route I take quite often. So handy.

I used my name as the company name, my home address as business addy AND the business addy, and my mobile # wherever they asked for it. I downloaded their PDF and filled it out and sent it back...but they wanted me to use their online form you fill out online, and it fills in a cursive signature using your name. Once I sent them that, they emailed and said I should have the card in 3 days. (They do check your credit, your SSN to be sure it's you, but I think that's all).

So, no, you don't seem to have to be a commercial entity. I'll know for sure in a few days after I get the card and try to refuel my car.

The mistake I made with PP and TSD both was that I could have just gone to the IRS website and signed up for an EIN (Employers ID#) which is a substitute for the SSN. This would have made my info useless to any bad guys who get into these companies online systems and steal users info. That EIN expires in a couple years if you don't file a Form C Business Income with your taxes but I really doubt PP or TSD bother to recheck it every year. That was my mistake, and I have my fingers crossed that my info isn't stolen.

Old 08-02-2021, 07:04 AM   #14

Quote:
I just joined as there is a PP station just a few miles from me on the route I take quite often. So handy.

I used my name as the company name, my home address as business addy AND the business addy, and my mobile # wherever they asked for it. I downloaded their PDF and filled it out and sent it back...but they wanted me to use their online form you fill out online, and it fills in a cursive signature using your name. Once I sent them that, they emailed and said I should have the card in 3 days. (They do check your credit, your SSN to be sure it's you, but I think that's all).

So, no, you don't seem to have to be a commercial entity. I'll know for sure in a few days after I get the card and try to refuel my car.

The mistake I made with PP and TSD both was that I could have just gone to the IRS website and signed up for an EIN (Employers ID#) which is a substitute for the SSN. This would have made my info useless to any bad guys who get into these companies online systems and steal users info. That EIN expires in a couple years if you don't file a Form C Business Income with your taxes but I really doubt PP or TSD bother to recheck it every year. That was my mistake, and I have my fingers crossed that my info isn't stolen.

dear mr hitek

would you please post your experiences after you get and use your card at pacific pride. how does it work and how does pacific pride price the fuel? either post it here or send me a private message. there is a pacific pride station a couple of miles from our house. if their price for diesel was less expensive than what the retail station charge i would use them. i'm going to stop by today and see if i can figure out what they charge. unlike retail stations they do not have the prices posted so you can see them from the street. in fact, the entire station is unmanned. it seems like they really don't have a requirement that you be a commercial entity. anyway, just another thing to check out. thanks
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel