Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2021, 04:29 PM   #1

Multiple Cigarette Charger QUANDRY

So I have a 200 watt inverter that plugs into the only 12V cigarette lighter outlet in the front seat of my RAM 1500. BUT, I have at least two things now that need that charger slot: The Furrion backup camera (which I also use on the road as a rear view mirror), and a new TPMS (to be ordered). The last I'm pretty sure I'll get with solar capability, so it'll only be an issue occasionally.

Now the Furrion has this little dongle attached at the plug end (see picture).

Does anyone know of an alternate power source for the Furrion that I could plug into the inverter/USB port?

Or should I get some of these things (also have a dash cam powered via USB cord) directly connected to the battery (with a cutoff switch)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210506_163739.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	327457  
Peterk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2021, 04:42 PM   #2

Peter,

Face with a similar problem, I searched car parts places and Ebay and found a multi-mouse hole adapter with two USB. We can plug it in and get someplace for the GPS, the Dash Cam, charge the cell phone and still have DC mousehole for the adapter for the laptop. It just takes looking and some masking tape to keep it all out of the way when you are driving.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 05:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F76Marion View Post
Peter,

Face with a similar problem, I searched car parts places and Ebay and found a multi-mouse hole adapter with two USB. We can plug it in and get someplace for the GPS, the Dash Cam, charge the cell phone and still have DC mousehole for the adapter for the laptop. It just takes looking and some masking tape to keep it all out of the way when you are driving.

Frank
Thanks Frank. I'll poke around. was hoping for a really cool looking power station to fit under the dash, but I guess I was dreaming, LOL
Old 05-06-2021, 05:53 PM   #4

I suspect you are ok for the amp rating for the cigarette lighter with just a 200 watt inverter, but I would be careful not to pull too much power.

At 200 watts, 12 volts, looking at almost 17 amps. I know my last truck had a 15 amp fuse on the cigarette lighter. Actually surprised, I was thinking it was 25 amps on the fuse.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:00 PM   #5

Is this what you mean?

https://www.amazon.com/Cigarette-Lig...0345556&sr=8-3

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:14 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
But you cut your power available to 120W with that one.
"Provide a total power of up to 120W"
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
I suspect you are ok for the amp rating for the cigarette lighter with just a 200 watt inverter, but I would be careful not to pull too much power.

At 200 watts, 12 volts, looking at almost 17 amps. I know my last truck had a 15 amp fuse on the cigarette lighter. Actually surprised, I was thinking it was 25 amps on the fuse.
Yeah, never occurred to me that I might blow the fuse. It's mostly low wattage items. Once in awhile we'll plug in a laptop. Not running the coffee machine or anything ;-)
Old 05-06-2021, 06:19 PM   #8

Quote:
That's a damn good start! I'll have to check the computer charger, but I doubt I'll come close to 120 W otherwise.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:26 PM   #9

This one actually looks a bit better at a quick glance: one socket up to 100W (and 2x 80 each).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A116BWEEEBX9BB
Old 05-06-2021, 08:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterk56 View Post
This one actually looks a bit better at a quick glance: one socket up to 100W (and 2x 80 each).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A116BWEEEBX9BB
Ooo, I like that one better. And, since the cig-lighter outlet is usually fused for 15a, 180w is all you're ever going to get anyway.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterk56 View Post
So I have a 200 watt inverter that plugs into the only 12V cigarette lighter outlet in the front seat of my RAM 1500. BUT, I have at least two things now that need that charger slot: The Furrion backup camera (which I also use on the road as a rear view mirror), and a new TPMS (to be ordered). The last I'm pretty sure I'll get with solar capability, so it'll only be an issue occasionally.

Now the Furrion has this little dongle attached at the plug end (see picture).

Does anyone know of an alternate power source for the Furrion that I could plug into the inverter/USB port?

Or should I get some of these things (also have a dash cam powered via USB cord) directly connected to the battery (with a cutoff switch)?
The age old problem. To many gadgets and only one (or if your lucky 2) power outlets. You can add dongles, splitters, adapters etc but you still only have one outlet that can only draw so much power. Plus they are flopping around. tangle and with constant stress fail on a regular basis. I recommend finding a power source, (even if you have to go all the way to the battery) and run a heavy enough fused line and install permanent fixed and fastened outlets. I run 2 GPS, a dash cam and a TPMS, plus of course the USB adapter to keep the IPhone charged. On My case it required loosening the upper dash pad, going into the junction box and finding an unused circuit. Then fastening two of these to the side of the dash. (would post a picture but the rig is at the factory service center right now) All my cords are up and out of the way and everything is fused correctly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
...I recommend finding a power source, (even if you have to go all the way to the battery) and run a heavy enough fused line and install permanent fixed and fastened outlets. I run 2 GPS, a dash cam and a TPMS, plus of course the USB adapter to keep the IPhone charged. On My case it required loosening the upper dash pad, going into the junction box and finding an unused circuit. Then fastening two of these to the side of the dash. ...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yeah, something like that is what I was originally thinking, although I'm not sure I'm comfortable taking the dash apart. The DW will be pretty upset if I screw that up So, I'd have to have a mechanic(?) do it. I was actually thinking of hardwiring the specific items, but using a multi-ported item gives more flexibility.
Old 05-07-2021, 04:19 AM   #13

Thumbs up

Quote:
Ooo, I like that one better. And, since the cig-lighter outlet is usually fused for 15a, 180w is all you're ever going to get anyway.
Exactly.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:57 AM   #14

My 2015 Canyon actually had a cigarette lighter on the front panel and on the back of the center console, as does my 2020 Silverado. I haven't reviewed the Silverado wiring diagram, but on the Canyon, each cigarette lighter was fused at 15 amps. Would allow you to power the inverter separately from the other needs.

Even better, there was a fuse swap you could do on the Canyon, Fuse location F40/F44 where in one position, you only had power with ignition on, in the other position it was always powered, even when there was no key in the ignition. F40/44 was a 50 amp fuse that fed the 2 individual 15 amp fuses to the 2 cigarette lighter locations. (The official term for these were Auxiliary Power Outlets or APOs, I guess cigarettes are not politically correct anymore.)

Have not checked to see if the fuse swap is available on my Silverado, might be a weekend project now that you got me thinking.

Tags
charger