Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2019, 06:05 AM   #1

My 2nd trip in the TT

Went to Myrtle Beach to one of the "mega campgrounds" Let's just say unless it's off season we won't do that again. Trip down no problems. Trip back tire blow out just before Columbia. We called triple A and after waiting an hour and no show, we decided to try it ourselves. Should've done this in the first place. Took maybe 10 minutes. Got to the Clinton/Newberry SC area and check the air in the spare and it's at 5 lbs. We air it up get back on the highway and it blows within 10 miles. We call a tow truck...we're canceling triple A by the way. Brett from SPx Customs and 24 towing comes out there, takes the tire off to go get a new one In the mean time it is decided that all our tires have dry rot and they suck and we leave the trailer there...off the road and as locked up as we can. Brett goes and gets a new tire, brings it back out, puts it on and takes the TT to his shop and then the next morning takes it to Clinton tire where all tires are replaced. He then decides he doesn't want to leave it up there over night and picks it up so that it will be at his shop, on camera. We go to pick it up and he also still has it hooked to one of his trucks to make it even harder to steal. Total for all tires/towing/ and all the extra stuff Brett did was less that $550 So tell me what I did wrong except I know I should've recognized the dry rot and got new tires before the trip. Also if you EVER break down around Laurens-Clinton-Newberry. Call SPx. Brett is outstanding!
Manana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2019, 07:41 AM   #2

MB is an absolute nightmare during the peak rv seasons. Summer and ALL the major holidays! Glad to hear you escaped any real major damage. We do not go to the large private campgrounds and we use the state campgrounds during off season times only. Too many kids, carts, loud music, crowded beaches along with very little enforcement of campground rules and regulations. During the summer we head to the mountains for relief from the heat. Although busy, nothing like the beaches.
Spoonsize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #3

If by asking what you did wrong is about the TT. Well I new to towing TT as well only been doing it for the past three years and only 5-6 times at year, but people at work been towing their big 5Th wheels and TT for a long time so they give me some advice on what to do and check before each trip.
So here is what I do every time Im going on a trip.
Few days before the trip I get under the trailer and check for any cracks,cuts, nails or anything wrong on the tires, then I raise each wheel at the time and check the bearings make sure the wheels spin nice and free at the same time you can notice if any of the brakes is dragging on the drum more than others.
I also check the leaf springs for any cracks or loose bolts or any thing that could be wrong with them.
The day of the trip I check the air pressure on all the tires and spare tire as well, check the the lug nuts make sure they are tight also dont forget to check air pressure on you truck tires.
I know it sound like lot of work but it can save me more time than been waiting some place for a tow truck.
J.A.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:39 AM   #4

What J.A.C said above!

We travel with our TT about once a month. Sometimes 100 miles sometimes 1000 miles. I should check all those things and more before every trip. I cheat.

Bearings, breaks, and undercarriage checks once per year. Tire pressure and lug nuts every trip. You should use a torque wrench on the lug nuts for regular checks because frequent tightening to test can cause over torque and lug failure. Tire pressure test includes two TT tires (one axle), TT spare, and four tow vehicle tires.

My TT is small and only two years old. I should increase frequency of major checks soon. Tires are good for no more than 5 years. After that they need professional inspection or replacement. Road damage can happen any time.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:46 AM   #5

We really like Huntington Beach State Park, but that's been a few years or so.
https://southcarolinaparks.com/huntington-beach

If you venture West, try out our local favorite: NE Alabama, just across Georgia line.
https://www.alapark.com/parks/desoto-state-park

Nice to hear some vendors still care about providing service above/beyond the norm.
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:44 PM   #6

Manana,

First, buy the best American-made tires you can afford for your trailer. Some foreign-made tires may be okay but virtually everyone says to avoid Chinese tires.

Second, buy a tire pressure monitoring system. It will cost as much as a good quality tire but can save you a lot of heartache by giving you some warning before a tire failure. In my experience it won't be much warning, but it beats running on a flat tire and not knowing it.

Both of these suggestions assume that you are already doing the highest priority items like checking the pressure and inspecting your tires.

Good luck.