Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2017, 05:05 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
My experience with Camping World of KC

Hi all,

Long post warning. TL;DR near end.

I feel the need to share my experience with Camping World Of Kansas City, MO, both in terms of sales and service. I had hinted at this issue in a previous post and it's time to spill the beans.

I would start with my salesperson, Tom Hunt, who was great to work with and as low pressure as it can probably ever be. I came in with my plan (not a bluff, there's a difference) to purchase a new RV from one of the huge volume dealers in the midwest. I was pre-approved for the loan, had Out The Door price quotes from other dealers, and wanted to give the local shop a chance to deal. They came up with a reasonable price for a barely used 2017 Gulfstream Amerilite 274QB travel trailer, and we made the purchase in very early September of 2017. Tom made it pretty painless and worked to keep our business in Kansas City. I would recommend him to you.

We went camping almost every weekend in September and October, and I fell back in love with camping (my parents took us camping in a pop up when we were kids, and it was great). I learned how to dump the black and grey tanks and all those fun things that are a part of the process.

One little problem....I noticed before pulling out of the lot when purchasing that the tandem axle wheels seemed like they were at different angles. I thought it was just where the trailer was parked, unlevel ground, etc., and when I got home it was certainly not parked on level ground, so I noticed it when putting on the X-Chocks but thought very little of it.

For one of the last trips of the season we travelled on a little bit of Interstate to camp near my mother, and I noticed that the wheels still seemed a little cattywompus in the side mirror on a long sweeping curve. That was definitely not right. But, they inspect these units and service them, so I figured it must not be a big deal, and I would inquire about it later. I am handy, and not a moron, but my forte is working with wood and doing light home remodeling. Trailer wheels were not something I knew a lot (anything) about (at least before this incident).

I got the rig winterized at another RV service center in the area, Abe Thompson RV. I went there because they had a better time open for me, but they were outstanding. Truly salt of the earth folks....they knew I was a newbie and they gave me some free advice and were just generally awesome. I even had a conversation with "Abe," who is the owner, I believe. Before I left, one of the techs came to me and said, "hey buddy, you know you have a major axle problem, right?" I knew it didn't look right, but I didn't know how bad the issue was.

We went and took a look at it, and the back axle was bent downwards in the middle, causing the back wheels to camber the wrong way. Opposite of the drop from center to outside of the front axle. The rig was purchased this way, and I drive it like a grandma, so I knew I hadn't caused this damage.

I called Camping World service department, and they referred me to the sales people to start the conversation for this kind of issue. I headed straight to Camping World in KC and asked to speak to the sales manager. I was pleasantly surprised to be speaking with James McDonald, the sales manager, in short order.

I explained everything, and he said he wanted his techs to look at it. Made sense. However, in the back of my mind I remembered the internet chatter about Camping World, and that once they have your sale, you are on your own, or worse that they are actively terrible about service after the sale. I was asked to come back after lunch for the techs to check it out, and assured that the units were inspected upon arrival and before sale.

It occurred to me that we may be just staging a little bit of theater. Bring out a tech and have them tell me "you messed it up" or "it's not on us." I prepared myself for some dishonesty and thought of how I would respond.

I mean, think about it, I had the trailer for about 7 weeks when I came back. I would understand a little careful procedure and process on Camping World's part. But I was still nervous about getting hosed here.

Two techs came out, and one went under the trailer to look. He came out and told me and the sales manager that the axle was welded incorrectly, and that the axle's camber was the wrong way. FYI it's a Lippert frame but Dexter axles. The sales manager asked if it was wrong from the factory, and the tech said it was. The sales manager asked if it was something they should have picked up on before the resale, and he admitted that they should have noticed the issue.

I was floored. I thought it was a set up, and here they were, identifying the problem and taking responsibility for it. I barely knew what to say, but they said they would be in touch.

Long story a little less long, they ordered a new axle, we got the trailer in for service, and I brought the rig home today with a brand new axle and the spring / bearings / bushings / brakes / hub for that axle, at no cost to me, just as they said they would do.

Camping World sold me a rig, it had a problem they missed, they didn't stage a cover up, they did take responsibility, and they did the right thing and fixed the issue at no cost to me. I will add that I did not buy an extended warranty, this was just them doing the right thing in a tough situation.

Now, if the wheels fall off on the first trip I will update this with a slightly different message. But I think things have been set right here.

Am I saying that all Camping World folks everywhere will always do the right thing? No, I can't possibly say that. All I can do is relate my specific experience to you. I have read some bad things in the past, but this experience was good. People make mistakes. I make mistakes. But I own up to my mistakes and make things right, and that's what I expect from the people in my life. Not perfection, just making things right where we can and should.

Anyway, I thought I would share my one little experience, to add it to the community for consideration. When people do a good job, or do the right thing when they could easily do the wrong thing, it's worth pointing out. If you have had a bad experience with Camping World, then you have every right to communicate that too. But this was my experience, so please be considerate if replying here.

If you ever need service or sales in the KC area, my experiences would suggest that both Abe Thompson and Camping World of KC would be good choices.

Hope to meet you on the road. Stay safe!

*TL;DR: Camping World did right by me as a customer, but haters gonna hate probably. *

Respectfully Submitted,

Kent L
Kent L is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2017, 05:26 PM   #2

Kent....I am VERY HAPPY that things worked out for you and your family regarding your unit. There are certainly many good folks out there...the trouble is finding them. CW has certainly earned the reputation they have with so many folks. As for me...unfortunately for CW I'll be staying away from them.

Have a great camping year in 2018

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:27 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Kent, it's so nice to hear a positive story about CW. Way too many sour stories floating around.
You are so kind to post this, thank you.
Many people would have just shrugged it off and thought to themselves "I got what I deserved and they tried to rip me off but didn't get away with it"
The world is a better place with positive folk like you.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:35 PM   #4

We may have bumped into each other in the showroom. We bought a NTU 2008 Cougar 29FKS at Camping World in Kansas City over Labor Day weekend. I was very pleased with the purchase process and, fortunately, we've not had any issues.

I too had the all the CW horror stories in the back of my mind when we first pulled on the lot, but everything was on the up and up from start to finish. They even let me leave the camper on their lot until I could make arrangements for a storage spot.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Camping World Kansas City.
KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 05:44 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSA75 View Post
We may have bumped into each other in the showroom. We bought a NTU 2008 Cougar 29FKS at Camping World in Kansas City over Labor Day weekend. I was very pleased with the purchase process and, fortunately, we've not had any issues.

I too had the all the CW horror stories in the back of my mind when we first pulled on the lot, but everything was on the up and up from start to finish. They even let me leave the camper on their lot until I could make arrangements for a storage spot.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Camping World Kansas City.
We may have run into each other!

Out of curiosity, where did you end up storing your rig? I have ours in the side yard for now but looking at other options too.

Kent
Kent L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent L View Post
We may have run into each other!

Out of curiosity, where did you end up storing your rig? I have ours in the side yard for now but looking at other options too.

Kent
It's stored in Lyndon, KS. We do most of our camping at Pomona or Melvern Lakes and Lyndon is half-way in between. I have my boat at an indoor facility there, but he didn't have room for the Cougar so I had to go to one of his competitors up the road.

I wanted covered/inside storage. I looked on Craigslist and there was a guy out around Lone Jack that had what I think is an abandoned missile silo that was storing boats and RVs. Also, I'm pretty sure there is a boat and RV storage in those caves along Lees Summit Road a couple miles south of I-70.
KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:08 PM   #7

The real above and beyond of this story is that it was a "used" TT and for most manufacturers, the warranty only applies to the original owners, so CW may have had to completely eat this to make it right by you.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:37 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When everything gets handled right, it's not as often talked about as when everything goes wrong. I'm happy for everything working out for you.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:50 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Amazing story! So glad it worked out for you. I would have bet a paycheck against it though.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:58 AM   #10

I had a severely bent axle on a new trailer. The dealer, manufacturer and axle manufacturer hung me out to dry. I replaced all the junk myself. It ain't just CW that has problems, in my opinion much of the industry is in a sorry state.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
I had a severely bent axle on a new trailer. The dealer, manufacturer and axle manufacturer hung me out to dry. I replaced all the junk myself. It ain't just CW that has problems, in my opinion much of the industry is in a sorry state.
BINGO!!!!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:55 AM   #12

Kent, Glad you had a good experience w/CW; wish that were the norm.....

One thing to watch whenever the tires/wheels have been removed. You must re-torque the wheel nuts (lugs) after 50, 100, and 500 miles. Just buy a torque wrench from Harbor Freight (0-150 lbs) and the proper socket and check the lug nuts from time to time. Don't wanna see you back at CW again!

Good luck and enjoy!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:55 PM   #13
RPr

I have heard various stories about CW but when I hit a road hazard and took out a wheel rim, tire and broke a spring they did the repair. They were swamped so I called our Progressive Insurance agent and ask for his recommendation.

Between CW and the Progressive agent and I, the unit was back in my yard in five weeks. Two and a half weeks of that was waiting for a new undercarriage.

I am sure that not all repair go that smooth but good communication and establishing time tables, kept everyone in the loop.
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:46 PM   #14

That was very kind of you to take the time to post about a positive experience. Most people never do that and this forum is a landing pad for complaints and bad experiences shared. I had a great experience at CW Spartanburg and am a happy camper. Every issue has been handled, thankfully just a couple of minor issues, and I would buy there again without hesitation. Both sales and service have been cordial and accommodating. My only complaint deals with the fact that I probably accepted too low an offer on my trade, but that's on me. You do have to be very proactive in looking everything over when you buy a new or used unit from anywhere. The folks at CW KC should be sending you a thank you!
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, camping world