RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2020, 08:24 PM   #1

Smile My First Trailer Shopping Experience

I posted a question regarding a travel trailer I found on Craigslist last night (see link below). Thank you to everyone who has been generously sharing their experience with me on this forum, including the advice ďDonít buy the first RV you look atĒ

Iím glad I went and looked at that trailer, even though it was a 75 minute drive each way. It was a learning experience.

The inside is remarkably clean, nearly like new. Clearly hasnít seen heavy use. But I decided to pass on this one, due to the following:

1. Though he told me he had examined it thoroughly since buying it 2 months ago, and could find no evidence of leaks, I discovered that one of the seat cushions was wet. He had no explanation for this. The ceiling & walls show no signs of leaks. My best guess based on what I saw is that the roof leaks down the inside corner, and water collects on the bench under the seat cushion, and said cushion acts like a sponge soaking it up. After seeing this, I didnít need to dig too much further. I didnít even ask for a ladder to see the roof.

2. The shower is crazy short. I would have to stoop considerably or sit on the commode to shower. Not a selling point.

3. The top bunk only holds 150 lbs, so I would have to either convert the table/bed every day, or live without a table inside the RV. I am a person who spends a lot of time at my desk or the kitchen table. This is another negative. I need a dedicated bed, and dedicated table & seat.

4. It also needed tires, but I expect to have to buy tires for a used RV.

Bottom line: It leaks somewhere and I donít want to throw money away on an inspection that will likely just add to the list of surprises. And 13 feet frankly is just too small.

Thanks again to all of you for your help in guiding me on this journey.

MoTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2020, 09:48 PM   #2

OOPS, forgot the link.

OOPS, forgot the link. Here it is just in case anyone wants to see it.

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/rvs/d...069574149.html

MoTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:00 PM   #3

You will find newer trailers with a much more modern look. I like 'Solid Steps', LED lighting, bigger showers, maybe an electric fireplace for added heat and ambiance, power awning, new battery, new tires, modern TV, new propane tanks that don't need re-certified and lots more.

I forgot how old and outdated a 2003 trailer looks.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:45 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You are a smart man. Many people will be looking to upgrade in the spring adding many to the used market. Keep reading and learning.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:36 AM   #5

Good that you walked.
Now you have an idea of how small trailers can be.

My wife and I started a 17' and thought it was small!
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:44 AM   #6

You clearly have a natural good eye for the subtle signs. You probably won't need an inspector. Keep in mind some inspectors say it takes about 4 hours to do the necessary checks. Allow plenty of time.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:07 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You can easily get a better suited trailer at least 10 years newer for similar money. That was an entry level trailer 17 years ago. New ones just like it can be had now for a bit over $10,000.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:39 PM   #8

I'd recommend checking for soft spots in all corners (even inside the cabinets). You'll usually be able to feel water leaks even when you don't find a wet spot like you luckily found.

Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer