RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2020, 03:30 AM   #1

Need Advice on Bunkhouse Models

I'm planning on buying a used Travel Trailer. We are looking for a 24-26 foot bunkhouse model. We have a Ford F250 XLT Super Duty. We would like some advice on which models are quality builds. Is there a particular construction method that would be better than another. Seems like there is a lot of poor quality TT our there. Any advice on models I should consider, and those models I should stay away from. Would fiberglass sides, and roof be the best construction?
GHLarsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2020, 06:00 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Welcome to the forum and the RV lifestyle!

We've been out of the bunkhouse segment of the industry for several years so I'm not sure which of these manufacturers offer those models, but outdoors enthusiasts always applaud Lance, Northwood and Outdoors RV for their build quality. Among mainstream manufacturers, Grand Design seems to have an excellent reputation. Once you get out and start touring TTs, I think you'll notice the differences in quality.

I'm sure other members with more technical expertise will respond to the method of construction question you asked. I, unfortunately, know just enough to be dangerous.

Speaking of dangerous, do NOT let a salesperson tell you that your tow vehicle will definitely tow the trailer he or she is trying to sell you. Run the numbers yourself using the info from your tow vehicle 's manufacturer.

Good luck in your search and best wishes for many years of happy camping!

Mary
4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:24 AM   #3

I’m looking to get a Rockwood 2509s or GD imaging 23BHS once this COVID thing is over. Price now is crazy high. They are solid.

I’m pretty sure many family will sell their TTs next year.

I like smaller Rockwood trailer, but GD has separate bedroom, which is nice.

I’ve been using a cheap ultralight bunk unit without slide out. And we camp a lot. To be honest, I’m surprised nothing is broken so far.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:12 AM   #4

Thanks

I personally don't want to slider. One more thing to go wrong, and it could bring water into the trailer. Should have said I don't want a slide,

Thank you for the advice
Old 12-04-2020, 08:23 AM   #5

Looking for small bunk house with these requirements

Maybe I should state my actual requires.

Would like a bunk house model that is solidly built (no ultra light). Fiberglass sides and roof. It needs to have a North South Queen bed with curtain (meaning no bedroom and you don't sleep crossways). Would like stove with oven, prefer tall reefer, but large under counter will work, No slide out preferred. Bathroom with toilet and sink, plus a shower. Jack knife couch at foot of queen bed, plus a dinette that seat 2 to 4 people.

Would like to keep it less than 26 feet long.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHLarsen View Post

Would like a bunk house model that is solidly built (no ultra light). Fiberglass sides and roof. It needs to have a North South Queen bed with curtain (meaning no bedroom and you don't sleep crossways). Would like stove with oven, prefer tall reefer, but large under counter will work, No slide out preferred. Bathroom with toilet and sink, plus a shower. Jack knife couch at foot of queen bed, plus a dinette that seat 2 to 4 people.

Outdoor RV would be good. They are solid build but pricy for their size. GD and Rockwood also have non slide out units. If you got a big budget, go for airstream.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:10 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Which ones have you looked at?
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:48 AM   #8

Trying to narrow down the field

I've looked at so many I can't remember which ones. As a budget minded guy I'm trying to keep the price down, so I'm thinking used is the way to go. An Airstream would be nice, but I'm not sure I can justify that much, since they are over the top.

I've heard most of the new trailers are not constructed as well as the ones built in old days. I'm wondering what makes, and years have held up the best. I'm also worried about leaks, with older and new for that matter. I'm also looking consider materials and construction methods that do and don't hold up well.

I'm really worried about leaking because I live in a rainy part of the country. Seems like the fiberglass model trailers, even the really old once might have less leaking problems. Plus I know how to do fiberglass fabrication. Should I go the fiberglass route.

Please help me find the best used travel trailer for me and my wife, so can do some RV-ing now that we are retired.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:10 AM   #9

Quote:
I've looked at so many I can't remember which ones. As a budget minded guy I'm trying to keep the price down, so I'm thinking used is the way to go. An Airstream would be nice, but I'm not sure I can justify that much, since they are over the top.

I've heard most of the new trailers are not constructed as well as the ones built in old days. I'm wondering what makes, and years have held up the best. I'm also worried about leaks, with older and new for that matter. I'm also looking consider materials and construction methods that do and don't hold up well.

I'm really worried about leaking because I live in a rainy part of the country. Seems like the fiberglass model trailers, even the really old once might have less leaking problems. Plus I know how to do fiberglass fabrication. Should I go the fiberglass route.

Please help me find the best used travel trailer for me and my wife, so can do some RV-ing now that we are retired.
I think most people will agree with me that owning a travel trailer is a path to become a handyman. No matter you get the $15k or $150k unit, most are gonna have some problems during the first year ownership. It’s sad but also the fact that RV manufacturers are using us, their customers, as their QC process to maximize their profit. Sure most will honor their warranty, but it wastes your time and take the joy away when things breakdown at the campsite (eg, can’t retract a slide out when leaving the campground).
Old 12-04-2020, 10:48 AM   #10

Take a look at ATC Toyhaulers. They are not built with any materials that will rot or mold. Plus they frame like a house, not like the minimal framing used in all other TT’s in the last 10 years.

We bought a Lance over 3 years ago with a slide out and has been trouble free. Knowledge of maintenance, and operation goes a long way. Personally I wouldn’t own a trailer without one.

This is a difficult time to be looking at RV’s as there is just not much out there. Would not purchase anything new that was built during Covid.

Suggest you walk through a Artic Fox, Outdoors RV, or Lance, and you may change your mind on a slider.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:12 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:

I presume you mean less than 26' box, rather than less than 26' LOA. That said, I don't think the floorplan for which you're looking exists. But there's a couple models I can think of that will get you close. Grand Design Transcend 247BH ticks pretty much all your boxes, except the jack knife couch is in a different location and it has aluminum sides. It's a new model, so you'd have to buy it new. Other than that model, Queen bed, bunkhouse, and couch in less than 26' is going to require a murphy bed, and usually a slide. If you're ok with those, then you could consider a Lance 2185...
Old 12-04-2020, 04:43 PM   #12

A short bunk house in the low 20's dont have much room inside for rainy days. My buddie has a 32' jayco eagle HT that would be fine behind a F250 with a gas motor I would suggest you re-think the size.
xc-mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:33 PM   #13

Check out the Black Series HQ17. It's got bunk beds and this thing will traverse any possible terrain you're likely to encounter with your F250.

https://www.blackseriescamper.com/tr...lers/hq17.html
TheLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:44 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc-mark View Post
A short bunk house in the low 20's dont have much room inside for rainy days. My buddie has a 32' jayco eagle HT that would be fine behind a F250 with a gas motor I would suggest you re-think the size.
And we have 4 kids and an 18' box bunkhouse. It really depends on how the OP intends to use their trailer. We like to camp in national parks and forests. And by camp, I mean, spend as much time outside as possible. And the bigger the trailer the fewer places you can camp.

Tags
advice, bunkhouse