Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2018, 08:21 AM   #99

Nash got a new front cap for 2019. And it looks like it will get a molded fiberglass cap for 2020 models or 2019.5 models according to pics on their Whats New page. Click on the Appreciation & Showcase pic and it will take you to a page with some photos of new front caps on various models. New flooring and other upgrades as well. It's really a best bang for the buck TT.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2018, 12:46 AM   #100

Carolina Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
Yet another person who says this is how to make the decision. Both are good trailers. I am a fan of ORV though. We had one for almost 4 years until we bought the motorhome. Solid vehicles, and the weight is used on things that mattered to us like frame and suspension. We camped pretty much like the OP says they do. The additional weight of the ORV has no bearing on what campsites you can get into. It does have a bearing on what truck, but your diesel 2500 is an excellent choice. When you go looking for new trucks, I doubt you will end up with a gasser. “Once you go diesel, you never go back!” I would buy another diesel,truck in an instant just for the exhaust brake when us g it to tow something.
Do you or anyone else think that our 1995 Suburban (120K+ miles and in very good condition) would be okay to pull a 21KVS ORV that has a dry weight rating of 5700+ lbs? Our tow rating on the Suburban is 7500 lbs. Clearly it's not a young vehicle but still drives well, and is well preserved. Clearly a Lance would be easier for the old Suburban being under 5000 lbs, but I have a fancy toward the ORV. Just wondering if there should be any hesitation towing this ORV, which is about 25 feet long? Thanks!
SeektheSon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:59 AM   #101

This particular question may get better responses in the towing sub forum:
Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion - iRV2 Forums

or maybe even the Outdoors RV owners sub forum:
Outdoors RV Owner's Forum - iRV2 Forums

But with that said, based on the information you've provided, I'd say "maybe". We'd want to know more about your Suburban...1500/2500, gas engine or diesel, rear gear ratio, factory towing package? etc. Post a picture of the door sticker, (you can mark out your VIN# if you wish), or look in the glovebox door for rear gear ratio code, and post that up.

Towing is hard on any vehicle, even a well maintained '95 when put into regular towing service will quickly expose any maintenance or mechanical weaknesses. (I towed with my '95 Ford van up until recently, no major issues, it just wasn't up to par with newer engines and transmissions).

Modern engines and transmissions are world's better for towing, but at the same time the older Suburbans, especially 2500s are sought after for the strong frame and people carrying capacity not offered in the newer models.

Often ORV owners report heavier tongue weights than advertised, but your Suburban shows payload capacity nearing 2,100 lbs. which is good news if it's just the two of you and the dogs.

So a 1500 Suburban, I'd say "pass", it might do it, but you won't like it, 2500 Suburban, probably "go", but I'd want to ensure it was properly equipped from the factory and a quality weight distribution hitch setup, and 4.10 gears for example.

You mentioned 7,500 lb rating, is yours similarly equipped to this one? (source Trailer Life)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-11-07 Tow Ratings 1991-2018 Models.png
Views:	75
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	225249
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:20 AM   #102

Our Lance 1995 has a fully loaded tongue weight of 625 lbs. That’s including full fresh water, and the optioned tri-five propane tanks.

We chose the Lance over the ORV 21fqs, because those had tongue weights over 1,100 lbs. With our Ram 1500, it was a good decision because traveling in comfort, and the ease of which our truck pulls it, is most crucial.

IMO it doesn’t matter which interior you prefer if hauling it stresses you out. We love to travel, and spend time in the outdoors. So the Lance was a good decision.

Not many Lance owners on here, because they have their own forum.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:37 PM   #103

Carolina Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal_Dave View Post
This particular question may get better responses in the towing sub forum:
Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion - iRV2 Forums

or maybe even the Outdoors RV owners sub forum:
Outdoors RV Owner's Forum - iRV2 Forums

But with that said, based on the information you've provided, I'd say "maybe". We'd want to know more about your Suburban...1500/2500, gas engine or diesel, rear gear ratio, factory towing package? etc. Post a picture of the door sticker, (you can mark out your VIN# if you wish), or look in the glovebox door for rear gear ratio code, and post that up.

Towing is hard on any vehicle, even a well maintained '95 when put into regular towing service will quickly expose any maintenance or mechanical weaknesses. (I towed with my '95 Ford van up until recently, no major issues, it just wasn't up to par with newer engines and transmissions).

Modern engines and transmissions are world's better for towing, but at the same time the older Suburbans, especially 2500s are sought after for the strong frame and people carrying capacity not offered in the newer models.

Often ORV owners report heavier tongue weights than advertised, but your Suburban shows payload capacity nearing 2,100 lbs. which is good news if it's just the two of you and the dogs.

So a 1500 Suburban, I'd say "pass", it might do it, but you won't like it, 2500 Suburban, probably "go", but I'd want to ensure it was properly equipped from the factory and a quality weight distribution hitch setup, and 4.10 gears for example.

You mentioned 7,500 lb rating, is yours similarly equipped to this one? (source Trailer Life)
Attachment 225249

Our 1995 is a v-8 and 4 wheel drive gas Suburban....1500 with a towing package...what do you think? there are ORV's that are a little lighter than the model I love....I was hoping I could stay with this one....the kitchen is amazing....3 window front kitchen panoramic view....If I am cooking I might as well enjoy it!
Old 11-08-2018, 12:37 PM   #104

Carolina Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
ORV vs Lance

The ORV rep yesterday said that he did not think our 1995 Suburban would work too well with the model I had picked out. He said it might cause the rear of the tow vehicle to sag....so back to the drawing board.They only had one other really lighter one, but it had not slides, which that is where we draw the line.
We found a gently used Lance closer to home in our state that we are considering, if my husband can make a decision. I have learned that he has to be all in or this won't work. Thanks all for your advice though. I am a little disappointed we can't comfortably pull the ORV with our vehicle, but we'll get something one day, and we'll be sure to enjoy it!
Old 06-02-2019, 06:51 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dean View Post
You are right, I'm leaning towards the Lance, but my wife is in love with the ORV. It sounds like the ORV is much better insulated, and clearly has more storage space. But, it seems that the Lance is lighter and tighter. (CNC machining, Azdel, etc.)
Glad you found one you both like. Nash has a good track record and I would consider one. The only downfall to them is the stick frame walls instead of aluminum framing.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:01 PM   #106

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We bought an ORV Creekside 21RD. We had a 2007 suburban with a towing capacity of 7500. It simply wasn't adequate for anything steep. We upgraded to a 2016 Expedition EL with the ecoboost. Now we can zoom up mountains if we want.

We chose ORV over Lance and Nash because the unit is beefier and well built for going off grid. Big tanks and we got big solar panels. We love that our ORV is very much like a cabin. But, buying an ORV taught me the value of having a TV that has far more towing capacity than you need.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:55 PM   #107

Length will be more of a factor than weight. Lots of state parks were not designed for today’s big trucks and trailers. You might want to consider a class C. Lots better for the smaller parks. Less hassle also.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice