Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #15

maybe it is nothing!

I bought a used Tundra 7 years ago. 2 days after I bought it the check engine light came on and has been on since. I have had it checked several times and have been told it is nothing to worry about just caused by fumes from fuel. Truck has been totally problem free for many years and runs like a champ. So maybe no big deal. Take it to a good mechanic that you trust and have it checked out. Mine concerned me too but the mechanic was right, it has never been a problem. good luck!
bandsmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2013, 06:48 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had a check engine light come on, $75 later I was told the gas cap was not on tight. Never had it again. Hope it's that simple.
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #17

I noticed a 2-prong plug that's hanging from under the right front end behind the bumper. Could that have anything to do with the check engine light?
Lori Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Probably block/engine heater of some sort. I wouldnt think that is it
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:07 AM   #19

Thanks G&J.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #20

ask mechanic to do a dry and wet compression test on engine that will tell you if the engine valve guides or piston rings are weak and then to trouble shoot the code he should clear code and see if it comes back.
barturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #21

Does it throw out blue smoke as you go down the road like a mosquito sprayer? No?, it's probably not rings. Does it smoke heavily when you coast down hill with your foot off the gas? No? Probably not valve guides. New tranny may be the key or just sensors in the system especially the O2 one. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #22

Lori, The other side of the story , and I guess that this is where a complete understanding, of your state laws regarding private vehicle sales, is necessary. You say that the title shows " rebuilt / salvage " was there a spot on the sales agreement where the seller should have written that info on the sales contract. If that is the case you may have a legal, avenue available to get your money back.
Here in B.C., the government supplies all the sales contract, and registration transfer , paperwork, and there is an area on the papers where the seller must supply all that kind of info.
Just a thought.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
Does it throw out blue smoke as you go down the road like a mosquito sprayer? No?, it's probably not rings. Does it smoke heavily when you coast down hill with your foot off the gas? No? Probably not valve guides. New tranny may be the key or just sensors in the system especially the O2 one. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Nope, no smoke at all and no oil loss. The car runs great. The neighbor across the road (mechanic) said that maybe the problem was fixed but they didn't reset the code. I'm going to check to see if there are any loose hoses.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Lori, The other side of the story , and I guess that this is where a complete understanding, of your state laws regarding private vehicle sales, is necessary. You say that the title shows " rebuilt / salvage " was there a spot on the sales agreement where the seller should have written that info on the sales contract. If that is the case you may have a legal, avenue available to get your money back.
Here in B.C., the government supplies all the sales contract, and registration transfer , paperwork, and there is an area on the papers where the seller must supply all that kind of info.
Just a thought.
The seller was a guy who buys and restores and sells cars so there was no sales agreement. I gave him cash and he gave me the title - that's about it. I called him yesterday and told him about the problem. He said it ran fine when he took it to GA and that there's nothing wrong with it, and that he won't take it back.

We really like the car and hopefully it's nothing costly.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #25

After years of taking my trucks to local shops and poring money down the drain, I take mine to the dealer who works solely on specific makes and have spent far less money with much less frustration. Just my .02
gundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #26

Lori; finally got your picture of the wiring to load . That is a broken marker light bulb , if the lock tabs on the socket haven't been damaged by contact with the tire, you should be able to pick out the broken bulb pieces and replace the bulb , and re-mount it into the marker light assembly.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #27

I'd be willing to bet that once a COMPETENT mechanic looks it over, it will prove to be a trivial issue...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #28

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Meyer View Post
The seller was a guy who buys and restores and sells cars so there was no sales agreement. I gave him cash and he gave me the title - that's about it. I called him yesterday and told him about the problem. He said it ran fine when he took it to GA and that there's nothing wrong with it, and that he won't take it back.

We really like the car and hopefully it's nothing costly.
Depending on your state laws you may be able to have him take it back. If he knew it had a "rebuilt" title and didn't disclose it he may be in violation of state law. Also, in some states like here in WA, if he sells something like more than six vehicles a year he is required to have a dealers license. Could be that he needs reporting to the state or county for running a business without a license too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote