Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2017, 09:04 AM   #1

Need help with purchasing used TT

Hi,

Absolutely new to all this. I am looking for my first travel trailer. I figured I did not want to spend too much until I found out how much I would actually use it.

I have been looking at used TT on RVTrader. I am a bit confused. My understanding is a TT loses a chunk when it drives off the lot. However, when looking at the price of a TT 3 years old the price listed is only a $2K - $3K under what I could get a new 2018 for.

For just a couple thousand difference I might as well just buy new. Or is there an expectation of more negotiation off that list price?

Can someone explain?
SJMaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2017, 09:36 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJMaye View Post
Hi,

Absolutely new to all this. I am looking for my first travel trailer. I figured I did not want to spend too much until I found out how much I would actually use it.

I have been looking at used TT on RVTrader. I am a bit confused. My understanding is a TT loses a chunk when it drives off the lot. However, when looking at the price of a TT 3 years old the price listed is only a $2K - $3K under what I could get a new 2018 for.

For just a couple thousand difference I might as well just buy new. Or is there an expectation of more negotiation off that list price?

Can someone explain?
The dealers mark up the used TT just like they do on a used car lot. Do some research on the unit you are interested in and find the trade in value because no dealer will pay more than that. Even if the unit has upgrades. Be willing to say no and walk away if they won't budge because for some reason dealers think everyone is stupid and will pay for over inflated prices on RVs. I once saw a Lance 1885 sit on a dealer's lot for over a year because they were asking too much. Then they finally dropped the price $5k and it sold within a month.
Take your time and you will be able to make a good deal.

The only advantage to buying new is the manufacturer warranty and the fact that no one else has used the TT. If you are buying a newer used TT don't over look private sellers as well. There are some good deals and you can meet the person that was living in that unit to get an idea of how well it was taken care of. That's where I got started and it was the best decision I ever made. Dealers always have mark ups hidden in the price. Prep fees, delivery fees, etc. Yes, even on used units.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:49 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
from WA State!

Prices are all over the place. Find one you can live with, offer what you think is an equitable price and walk away if they won't deal.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:23 AM   #4

Welcome

As others have said, prices are all over the map. I was recently in your position - trying to find a lightly used unit with a reasonable discount off the new units. I ended up finding a 2016 unit that was listed at $20k. The problem - I saw this same 2016 unit being clearanced out at $20k last year at the same dealership. MSRP was about $31k, so I know the $20k was a great price. However, this one being used, I told them I thought $16k was more than fair and that was my top dollar. They came back at $18k. I said $16k again and they came back at $17k. I said $16k again and they agreed.

Bottom line - they must have sold it new for $20k-$24k (depending on whether they sold it before they started clearance pricing on that model) and then taken it back on trade for around $14k and priced it up knowing they had lots of room to move. This is pretty typical for an RV dealer or a car dealership. So don't be afraid to make low offers. The offer should be fair, but don't be afraid to explain that you could have a new one for the same price, but you're not in the market for a new one, and you want a used one with a reasonable discount. For a 2013-2015, the discount should be even more, especially towards the older end of that period.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:23 AM   #5

Patriot07, that is exactly my situation. I am absolutely not a negotiator. Never even done it with new cars. Thus, why I normally buy used from previous owners. So, when I saw the used prices listed I assumed there was no negotiation off that price. That is what i get for assuming.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. Knowing I should plan on negotiating off these used prices will help. Thank you.

I was going to ask additional input on a trailer, but it is a different subject and will start another thread. Thank you again for the help understanding the RV business.
SJMaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:55 AM   #6

Often the problem with buying a late model used RV is the owner is upside down on the loan. If they financed the RV for 10-15 years, they will be upside down for most of the loan period. Many sellers are not in a position or willing to make up the difference between what the RV is actually worth and what they owe on it.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:54 PM   #7

I had the same problem a few years ago looking for a used tt. For some reason it seems that people with a tt do not take care of them like 5th wheels. The ones on dealer lots also seemed to be priced high. Ended up buying a new one for a few thousand more. Make sure that the new price is around 30% off of the msrp. If they are charging full price, you can find it cheaper elsewhere.
daka320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJMaye View Post
Patriot07, that is exactly my situation. I am absolutely not a negotiator. Never even done it with new cars. Thus, why I normally buy used from previous owners. So, when I saw the used prices listed I assumed there was no negotiation off that price. That is what i get for assuming.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. Knowing I should plan on negotiating off these used prices will help. Thank you.

I was going to ask additional input on a trailer, but it is a different subject and will start another thread. Thank you again for the help understanding the RV business.
I sold cars for a year after 9/11 put my company out of business. Not only can you negotiate on the price of the unit, you can also negotiate on the interest rate which NOBODY usually does or even knows. This is when buying and financing at the dealership. The finance officer gets a BUY rate from the bank and usually can jump the interest percentage up to 3%. Therefore if the buy rate is say 3% he can bump it up to 6%. Yep its your money and they want it. There are also TWO back screens on the sales managers screen so when they say, here let me show you thats what we have in it, BAHAAA NOT, thats what that screen is for, the other back screen shows the real cost they have in it.
MorganT69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:59 AM   #9

If you don't know, how to negotiate- I learned it from my wife- she says, what she want to pay and says: look- I don't sit here for 4 hours and you running back and forth to the sales manager- tell your manager- this is, what I pay, if he agrees, here is my number. We've done it with her charger, with my RAM and last year with our VIBE. and every time, we went around the corner to McDonald to eat a burger and we never had to wait long and the call came- ok- we agree. My wife also done it, as she went with her son as he bought his truck.
If they don't call- there are plenty of others out there. The good part on this- you don't have to really negotiate- you name your price and leave. nobody can talk you into, when you're not there. Yes- I know, how you feel- I'm the same way- when I sell something, I agree more with the buyer and when I buy something I can't talk someone down. to leave is a great option. it works in most cases.
but to all, who bought something and 2 weeks later found a better deal somewhere else- there is a golden rule- once you bought something- don't check no more, if you don't want to be disappointed. regardless what you buy and when- there will be always a better deal out there somewhere, sometimes. what counts- at the time you bought it, it was a great deal for you and this is, why you did it. Regardless- we had such a good deal on ours- I haven't seen a better yet.
guy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:43 AM   #10

I looked at a lot of used TT's and I found (like others have mentioned) that people are upside down on it and they want you to pay a premium price so they're not in debt. I wasn't going to pay 18,000 (for example)for a 4 year old used trailer when I can get a brand new one for 20,000, just didn't make a lot of sense.
cpt_majestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_majestic View Post
I looked at a lot of used TT's and I found (like others have mentioned) that people are upside down on it and they want you to pay a premium price so they're not in debt. I wasn't going to pay 18,000 (for example)for a 4 year old used trailer when I can get a brand new one for 20,000, just didn't make a lot of sense.
As I looked around, I've seen for over 8 months now on my way home a camper with for sale sign in the front yard of a house. one day I stopped- it was a 2010 outback- ok- was too big for me anyway- but I looked at it anyway. the siding was matt and not very well taken care of. the rubber seals around the slides where scuffed up, the rear wall looked like he ran into a limb one day during use and the best was the price- he wanted $28000.00. I googled and found exactly the same camper in new for $26000 within 50 miles. I also googled used ones and they go for $18000 average in this model year.
Ok- that's just me- I love to stir up things sometimes, just for fun (I know, I'm weired, but I enjoy, when people go through the roof, while I go on poking) I stopped and wrote a note with my phone number on it- I can get it for $14000 30 miles down the road- I give you $14500, because I don't have to drive so far then. He called me back and asked if I'm joking (I guess he was already desperate to sell) and I said- look buddy- and I dogged his camper to the core and was laughing for my self- I never seen someone going off so hard, instead of just saying no and hanging up- or don't even call at all. Yeah, was fun.
But what the guy told me- in between all that yelling- was, that he actually still is upside down and he can't take less.
which proves the point.
In my opinion, sometimes it's better to loose $2000 than having to pay for it, while it rots in the front yard. But not many think this way.
oh...and the camper still sitting there...
Old 08-03-2017, 09:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_majestic View Post
This was my exact issue also. My wife and I were looking for a very specific floor plan which obviously limited our results for a used unit. The few that we found on RV Trader and Craigslist and within reasonable driving distance (I'm not going to drive 8hrs to buy a used trailer sight unseen) were for the same price or more than what I can buy at a high-volume dealer 6 hours away for new. A few of them on craigslist even said I owe $XX on the loan and cannot take anything less.
I think the problem is the dealers convincing younger families (that would need a bunkhouse model like we did) to buy these trailers with little to nothing down and then take out 12 year loans on them. They end up being upside down until their very last payment pretty much so repossession is basically their only option to get rid of the trailer or hope for a sucker off Craigslist.
We only took out a 4 year loan on our trailer (which we will still have paid off over a year early) and put 20% down. The finance department's clearly make more money on the longer loans though because they tried to convince us multiple times to just take out a longer loan, "see how much lower your payment would be if you stretch this out to a 10 year loan and the interest charge is deductible as a second home!"
Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut4speed View Post
I think the problem is the dealers convincing younger families (that would need a bunkhouse model like we did) to buy these trailers with little to nothing down and then take out 12 year loans on them. They end up being upside down until their very last payment pretty much so repossession is basically their only option to get rid of the trailer or hope for a sucker off Craigslist.
We only took out a 4 year loan on our trailer (which we will still have paid off over a year early) and put 20% down. The finance department's clearly make more money on the longer loans though because they tried to convince us multiple times to just take out a longer loan, "see how much lower your payment would be if you stretch this out to a 10 year loan and the interest charge is deductible as a second home!"
Don't wanna be a pooper- but your post- as well as the one from others- sounds very arrogant and judgmental.
There are families out there- like you mentioned and their only chance to buy a camper and have some off time with their kids, as long as they are young and like to do something with their parents, is, to buy on a 10-15 year loan. the advantage and negatives are, what you weight up against each other.
Another point- like we do- we know, we will keep this camper for a very long time- also it's right now, as planned before, our "house" while we build our little cabin. it's cheaper than going in a apartment complex and we have the advantage to be on our little farm and already doing stuff there. for us- it was the possibility to use available cash to a better fitting purpose.
It all depends and regardless- it's everybody's personal decision. And the one who pays for it is the one who says so. I don't think, anybody has the right to judge over others belongings. My answer is always- and which bill of mine do you pay?
Fact is- I don't believe, everybody has just so $5-10000 in the left pocket, what he can throw on the table. And just because they don't have it, they're not allowed to buy a camper?
I'm happy for everyone who does it, everyone has his personal reason why he does or not does certain thing this or the other way.
camper too expensive? fine- look elsewhere. simple as that.
I also see this more and more- that everybody who buys a simple camper been dogged because he thinks a 1500 does the job- no not everyone needs a 3500 cummins dually. is the payload restricted? and? just take less stuff with you. is the sag too much? put airbags or progressive springs in. no- everybody needs a $50K truck and a $50K camper. year right.
we should not forget, what it is about- fun. and that's about it.
Just wanted to leave this here.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy65 View Post
Don't wanna be a pooper- but your post- as well as the one from others- sounds very arrogant and judgmental.
There are families out there- like you mentioned and their only chance to buy a camper and have some off time with their kids, as long as they are young and like to do something with their parents, is, to buy on a 10-15 year loan. the advantage and negatives are, what you weight up against each other.
Another point- like we do- we know, we will keep this camper for a very long time- also it's right now, as planned before, our "house" while we build our little cabin. it's cheaper than going in a apartment complex and we have the advantage to be on our little farm and already doing stuff there. for us- it was the possibility to use available cash to a better fitting purpose.
It all depends and regardless- it's everybody's personal decision. And the one who pays for it is the one who says so. I don't think, anybody has the right to judge over others belongings. My answer is always- and which bill of mine do you pay?
Fact is- I don't believe, everybody has just so $5-10000 in the left pocket, what he can throw on the table. And just because they don't have it, they're not allowed to buy a camper?
I'm happy for everyone who does it, everyone has his personal reason why he does or not does certain thing this or the other way.
camper too expensive? fine- look elsewhere. simple as that.
I also see this more and more- that everybody who buys a simple camper been dogged because he thinks a 1500 does the job- no not everyone needs a 3500 cummins dually. is the payload restricted? and? just take less stuff with you. is the sag too much? put airbags or progressive springs in. no- everybody needs a $50K truck and a $50K camper. year right.
we should not forget, what it is about- fun. and that's about it.
Just wanted to leave this here.
I think you need to reread my post then because you will see that the only one I'm really judging here is the dealers who are using predatory practices to get people in loans they often cannot afford.
Yes, ultimately, the person signing on the dotted line is the one responsible for that loan. But that doesn't mean the person sitting across the table at the finance office shouldn't have a responsibility to make sure these people will be able to consistently make these payments.
I agree with trying to make the most of your children's youth and camping is one of those ways we're deciding to do that. But the fact of the matter is that campers are luxuries like boats or vacation homes or extravagant distant vacations and as such you shouldn't ruin your financial future in order for a little pleasure today if you aren't able to fit it into your budget and still have room for unexpected expenses (accidents, unexpected home repairs, large car repair bills, rainy day savings fund, etc). If you have a stable income and will have no trouble making those payments for the next 10 to 15 years to free up cash for other uses then that is fine to take out that loan if you so choose.
If you are taking out a 10-15yr loan because that's the only loan you can squeeze into your already streched budget then you probably need to reassess if this is something you can truly afford.
There are other options such as tent camping, renting cheap hotel rooms (which is far cheaper than camper ownership if only used a dozen times a year for weekend trips), or traveling places you can stay with friends/family.

I will stand by my comment that I'm not going to overpay on a used camper out of pity because someone decided to take out a loan that they couldn't afford to pay off in order to sell their camper.

I agree with you on your last comment about tow vehicles though. There are way too many people on these boards who feel that you need a 1-ton to pull anything more than a pop-up camper. I would no doubtedly receive a lot of flack from people thinking that my tow setup is just an accident waiting to happen because I'm getting somewhat near the upper end of my tow vehicles capacity. I however am confident in my tow vehicles capability, it's maintenance and condition, and my hitch setup. I have never once been in a situation that made me uncomfortable or felt like I was on the verge of losing control.
I will probably buy a slightly larger tow vehicle next time around not just for towing the camper but also just as our needs change but that is part of our decision to take out a shorter loan and pay off our camper as early as possible so that we only have one payment on a vehicle at a time.
Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help