Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2009, 07:21 AM   #1

Wink Need new tires for my Ford 250.....

Hello everyone!
Many thanks RustyJC for your help!
I'm in the middle of my trip and need new tires for my Ford 250,how do I go for evaluating o choosing the proper ones,I read some postings about Pirelli's,Michellin's the like of high end tires.....from your point of view,can you suggest something others with its pro and con?I'm in a small town in texas and I'd like to have advice on the matter.
At the moment of be ready to purchase I'll also inquire about the above mentioned tires but I'm afraid are out of my league......
Thanks to you all that take the time to reply.........araucano.
araucano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2009, 07:41 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions, but I'll throw my 2 cents in here. A very cost-effective tire that seems to get good reviews from those that have used them is the BF Goodrich Commercial T/A.

I don't know what size tire you need, if you want a highway or an on/off road tire, etc., but the websites at Tire Rack and Discount Tire both have pretty good price/performance comparisons for various makes and models of tires of a given size. They're worth a look even if you're buying from someone else.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:52 AM   #3

Hi Rusty!Sorry I've omitted the tire size it is LT 265/75R16,and It will be to
pull my 25' Nash as well as day trips to visiting places.....Thanks
araucano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:01 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Here is a Tire Rack search on that particular tire size just to give you an idea of what's available.

Here's a comparable Discount Tire search on the same tire size (I had to pick an area in Texas, so I used Abilene for no particular reason).

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:48 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been partial to Michelin for some time now since I have never had a problem with their tire. You pay more, but if there are no problems, it is worth it to me. I have had the Michelin LTX A/T2 tires on dually for about 18 months now and no complaints at all.

Neve had much luck with General, Goodyear, Uniroyal, Fireboom (know as Firestone) and Kuhmo.

Had Bridgestone on one motorhome and no problems from them.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:58 PM   #6

Pond Piggies Club
Check out Copper Tires E-series, reasonable prices. I have them on My F250. Also have Coppers on DW SUV & DD Chevy.
Wingnut57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #7

We had traction issues with our 2001 F250 CC 4X4 with the Firestones it came with. When I finally got fed up with them, I changed to Bridgestones which worked a whole lot better for us. Only issue I had with them was that they felt rough until the tires got warm. David
Old 04-30-2009, 09:32 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
I've got 72K on my 2005 F-250 crew cab, still on the factory Continentals. I may make 80K on them before I replace them.

The problem with the Contis is that it is a hit or miss affair. I was lucky to get a good set. Some other F-series owners got lousy ones.

Our long-time mechanic/tire dealer recommends a set of Bridgestone Revos.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rray32539 View Post
I've got 72K on my 2005 F-250 crew cab, still on the factory Continentals. I may make 80K on them before I replace them.

The problem with the Contis is that it is a hit or miss affair. I was lucky to get a good set. Some other F-series owners got lousy ones.

Our long-time mechanic/tire dealer recommends a set of Bridgestone Revos.
Yep - if you decide to purchase Bridgestones, the Revos are the ones with the better traction. David
Old 05-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #10

I've had Revo's on my F-150, was very happy with the performance. Based on the research I did they had very good feedback. However, they were fairly new to the public, back then.
Very good traction on snow, ice, handled rain/water with little hydo-planing, quiter than the factory OEMs. Goodyear claims the tires are round and balanced well, and I have to believe this, max weight on any tire was less than 1/2 once.
I can't comment on the tire life, I sold it after additional 15,000 miles on those tires. Of all the tires I have installed, I would rate these as some of the best.
Comshaw is offline   Reply With Quote