Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #1

Need quality Travel Trailer tires??

What are the very highest quality travel trailer tires? I have a 17 ft. Kodiak single axle hybrid travel trailer. Just returned from a 4,100 mile trip out west. Both of my TT tires threw the treads doing significant damage to the bottom of the TT. The tires were 1 year old and had about 10,000 miles on them.

I don't want to endure this again. Looking for advise on the very best 14 inch tire for my TT. I don't care what they cost. The ones I had were made in Thiland and were junk as far as I am concerned. They were about $100.00 each. I had to buy two new tires.... one in Utah and one in Colorado. Both were about $100.00...make in China and I want them replaced as soon as I can find the very best.

Thanks,

bob
bubbajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #2

I just ordered Maxxis m8008's for my toy hauler because of the many recommendations from a few forums.
Eyetattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tires

Just about any Light Truck tire will be better than the junk they call ST tires.

Michelin Ribs are probably the most popular truck tire used on trailers. But you may have a problem finding them in your size.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:01 AM   #4

What size and load capacity were your original equipment tires?

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:33 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
Just about any Light Truck tire will be better than the junk they call ST tires.

Michelin Ribs are probably the most popular truck tire used on trailers. But you may have a problem finding them in your size.
LT tires are not made to take the extreme twisting forces that ST tires are. Personally I'd never put LT tires on a TT.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:42 AM   #6

Good luck finding 14" LT tires anyway.
bartlettj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:44 AM   #7

This is what you want:

Go to Tirerack for the Kumho radial 857. I bought these after finding out that ST tires are only rated for 65mph. The Kumho 857 sizes are rated for 99 or 106mph!

Quote from Tirerack: "The Radial 857 is KUMHO's Euro-metric Commercial-sized special purpose tire designed for use on trailers....KUMHO Radial 857 tires feature blackwall styling and are available in Q-speed rated 82-series, Load Range D (65 psi) Euro-metric Commercial sizes for 14" wheel diameters."

Kumho*Radial 857
Yarcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:46 AM   #8

Oh, and most of the Kumho 857 tires are made in Korea, NOT China. (Although one of the three models is made in China, so be careful with which you order.)
Yarcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #9

Coastal Campers
In the 14" size I agree that the Kumho's are the best bet. The people on the small, single axle trailer forums (like Casita) swear by them. About the only other Load Range D tire available is the Kendra Karrier which is marketed by Martin Wheel and available from Northern Tool. When we needed tires for our last trailer, the Kumhos were out of stock, so we got the Kendra's and ran them for a couple years for over 12,000 miles without a problem before trading the trailer.
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #10

Thanks folks,

I was tired last night after a long 1,800 mile drive home. So here is more information this morning.

The TT is a Kodiak/Dutchman by Thor: with a GVWR of 3,850 lbs. It was built in 2006. We bought it used, one owner in 2011 with only a couple thousand miles on it. Like brand new, stored in a heated/air conditioned building, cookstove, microwave, furnace having never been used.

The original tires were still on it looking new. They were POWERKING/TOWMAX ST205/75D14. Load range C...1,760 lbs. Tread 4 belts nylon. Sidewal 3 Nylon. I replaced them, due to age before ever taking it on the road.

The new, replacement tires were MAXXIS Radial M8008. ST205/75R14 Load C 1760lbs, Tread: 2 polyester belts 4 steel belts, Sidewall: 2 polyester.... made in Thailand...recommended by my Goodyear dealer who is a personal aquaintence. I insisted on no China tires.

The MAXXIS were trouble free for just over 10,000 miles. Both threw their treads, during the just completed trip, causing extensive damage to the wheelwell and bottom of the TT. One tread came completely off at highway speed of 70 mph. The other came partly off a 1,000 miles later at 50 mph on a rural blacktop road.

The last 15 months have been our first TT experience other than renting twice before. We will tow between 10,000 and 15,000 miles each year, pulling with a 2012 Grand Cherokee with the Hemi-360 HP engine. We spend all of our destination time in the most remote locations possible, camping on BLM, National Forest Land in isolation. So we need the most reliable tires and equipment possible.

Being and ignorant newbie, I have learned now that I must slow down to 65 mph or less. But the tire issue is frustration. I am considering going to a larger wheel of 15 inches(if there is such a thing.) Don't think that I have room for 16 inch wheels but will investigate. Also considering LT truck tire mounted on a larger wheel. Slowing down is not a problem but dealing with tire failures can ruin ones life.

Any and all advice/experience appreciated. My background is in aviation where everything is highly regulated and the standards extreme. This TT thing is a real circle jerk.

Oh yeah....any American/Canadian TT tires available at all?

Thanks,

Bob
bubbajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
LT tires are not made to take the extreme twisting forces that ST tires are. Personally I'd never put LT tires on a TT.
So your saying that I should take my LT tires of my trailer and replace them with inferior ST tires? Thats plane silly. My fiver came from the factory with LT tires. They survived for 7 years with zero issues. Replaced them last spring with another set of LT tires. And I expect them to last another 7 years. I just hate to limit myself to 65 MPH towing speed because of an inferior product. It' your money, spend it how you seemfit, but for heaview trailers LT tires are an excellent alternative to the explosive Chinese made options.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks

450donn,

You saved me some typing!

If I bought a new trailer or fifth wheel today and it had ST tires they would be gone tomorrow.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality, tires, travel