Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2019, 07:35 AM   #1

Need TT Shopping Assistance

My wife and I are considering purchasing a larger TT.

Currently we have a Forrest River 2014 R-POD 178. It's been ok to us. There are quality issues galore, but nothing we can't deal with. It's very small and aren't getting any younger. We tow with a Toyota Tundra 5.7L 1/2 ton. We want a BH with double size bunks (kids still want to get with us even though they are grown, and grandkids are a probability) with a comfortable place for the wife and I to sit in the evening. My wife and I are snorers, so a 'bedroom' with preferably a door is preferred. We also do not want a slide out.

Looking at:
Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 261BHXL

I understand the Jayco has been purchased by another company and their quality may or may not be there anymore. My RPOD is leaving me with a bad taste for Forrest River. However, at my my price range (sub 18k) I may have no real choices. I am also concerned that I am pushing the limits of my TV. Any words of wisdom would be welcome.

'88 Palomino Shetland
TopJimmy5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2019, 09:27 AM   #2

I recently traded out of my Jayco 28BHBE. I towed one season with a long bed Titan. Itís just a lot of trailer for a half ton truck. Everything that passes with size will suck you in, and you fell every breeze. Went to a 2500, and 4 seasons of smooth sailing after that. I had the initial first season repairs, and not one major issue after that round of warranty repairs.
The only reason we upgraded was we started doing more dispersed camping and bringing along toys. It meant my wife always following behind with a trailer for the toys the tanks were also way too small to dry camp for very long.
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:45 PM   #3

Quality wise all the trailers are pretty much the same since they come from Forest river or Thor and have the same appliances. Buying new is always a gamble some people have tons of issues others none.

Why aren't you interested in a slide out model? I have a similar bunk house to what you are looking at and thought I didn't want a slide but after loading it with people I found that the walk way to get around in the trailer is just to narrow. So after only a few years I'm already looking to buy a new trailer.
Mcpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:08 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Needing the bunkhouse really limits your choices and with a 1/2 ton tow vehicle you have a finite limit on how much you can pull.

Drop the bunkhouse requirement or buy a new truck and your options open right on up.

I know what you mean about non-slide models but they are very very few and far between.

It's not a bunk house, but Arctic Fox makes a super popular non-slide TT that you can pull with your truck. And, they have a great reputation for being a great built TT. I know, I had 3 of them over a 12 year period before we switched into motorhomes.

https://northwoodmfg.com/arctic-fox-2/arctic-fox-22g/

You might look at Winnebago "Minnie" models too. They have two bunk house models one 25' and one 28'. Winnebago wanted to get back into TTs and purchased the Sunnybrook TT company during the last recession. So, the old Sunnybrook factory is now making Winnebago's travel trailers. Sunnybrook had reputation of of being a well built TT and WBGO has worked to keep that quality in their towables.

https://winnebagoind.com/products/tr...innie/overview

Winnebago also purchased Grand Design RV and has let them run independently since the purchase. The Imagine 2400BH is a smaller bunkhouse model that is just at the limit for your tow vehicle.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...orplans/2400bh
Old 08-27-2019, 02:18 PM   #5

Quality Travel Trailer Brands

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/best-...-443427-2.html
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:52 PM   #6

When I first bought my 2016 Jayflight I had a 2011 Tundra SR5 double cab with 8’ bed. 5.7L . It had the HD towing package with towing mirrors and beefy suspension (4 leaf springs instead of 3). It pulled my trailer very well. Unfortunately it was totaled and I went to a 3/4 ton. Biggest difference I noticed was the braking was better as well as stability when semi’s passed.
Do you have the short bed or standard 6.5’ bed? The longer wheel base is better.
I think Jayco makes several trailers that would fit your needs including no-slides.
IMHO I think your Tundra will pull a smaller TT, especially if it doesn’t have the weight of a slide.
However I will say I thought I wanted a TT without slides and ordered one “sight-unseen (26BH). I happened to be on the lot for a Spring Seminar (roof maintenance, cosmetic maintenance, etc) and the exact model I ordered was on the lot for another customer. I asked if I could look inside and they let me. WOW was I surprised how little room there was. If my wife was cooking I would have a hard time walking around. No place for my dog to stretch out. There was a 27 BHS right next to it and after comparing the two I canceled my order and bought the TT with the slide. Of course now I’m hoping & praying I don’t have the issues that come with having a large hole cutout in the middle of my box frame but “so far - so good”. I’m soo much happier I got the slide and comfort it provides.
You probably already know the SLX versions have a few less amenities than the normal Jayflight but they’re less weight I’m sure.
I’m very happy with my Jayco and haven’t experienced any of the horror stories that I’ve read about on other forums.
If I can answer any specific questions about my rig just let me know
Old 08-28-2019, 08:28 PM   #7

I see you are PA. The RV show is in Hershey in two weeks. You should go and take a look around. You will see almost every model available and be able to compare floor plans.