Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2020, 10:16 AM   #1

New 12V RV refrigerators - wow

I did a little research on the 12v RV refrigerators and see this as a huge improvement. The the two big advantages over propane / electric absorption refrigerators are safety and cooling effectiveness.

Great for people that are plugged into electric of have ample solar power.

My next trailer will have a 12v RV refrigerator.

Anyone have one of these now? How do you like it?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2020, 10:23 AM   #2

You need to weigh the cost difference between a 12VDC compressor refrigerator and a residential refrigerator and a good pure sine inverter.

The bonus of the second choice is that then you can buy a combination invert/charger/automatic transfer switch and not have to worry about overloading you old converter or switching between power sources when on shore power.
Old 08-21-2020, 11:30 AM   #3

12v DC vs 120AC fridge with inverter...

Initial purchase by price for residential fridge may be less, but realize using a residential fridge and inverter will also be less efficient, less run time on house batteries when disconnected from shore power.

I've definitely heard a lot more positive then negative reviews of 12v DC vs Propane/absorbtion fridges.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:12 PM   #4

New 12v RV refrigerators - wow

Not if, but when my fridge needs repair, I’ll replace it with a 12V compressor fridge. My 380W of solar will keep it running for much longer than I could running on propane.
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:36 PM   #5

Here is the video I watched that made me do more research. A 12v refrigerator does not need to be near level. It still works at a 30 degree angle. Not a big deal because my trailer needs to be level for me to sleep.

10.7 cubic feet vs 6 or 8 cubic feet.

I am thinking if you had 300watts of solar you could boondock indefinitely.

https://youtu.be/HNCnwXOh1ng
Old 08-21-2020, 03:43 PM   #6

12 volt fridges have been used in boats for ever. They can take a beating and off level operation.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 04:55 PM   #7

I heard that - they have been used in boats for a long time.

Probably because a propane flame on a boat needing a vented outside like in a sailboat would not be good out in the middle of the ocean.
Old 08-21-2020, 05:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I heard that - they have been used in boats for a long time.

Probably because a propane flame on a boat needing a vented outside like in a sailboat would not be good out in the middle of the ocean.
Something like that. No un-attended flame allowed on a boat.
The stove is attended and has thermocouples to shut the gas if the flame goes out.
In a RV the heavy propane sinks under it and blows away. In a boat heavy propane collects in the bilge and blow up.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 05:34 PM   #9

We've been using a Vitrifrigo 12vdc compressor unit for a few years now. We like it. Frozen stays frozen, and the thing operates like a residential except for the power source.

Ours uses 5.7 amps at 12vdc while it runs, which is about half the time.

By comparison, if you found a really efficient residential unit that only consumed 1 amp, you have to remember that is at 120vac. When you convert to how much your inverter will be pulling from your house batteries you multiple times 10. Suddenly that super efficient fridge is not so efficient as it sucks 10 from your batteries.

Are they more expensive? Certainly. Is the ability to run a full week on battery instead of just a few days worth the extra money? I think so.

If you enjoy quite dry camping on batteries, then it's an easy choice. If you are most often plugged in or if you don't mind the noise of a generator, then maybe not.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:24 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I replaced my absorption fridge with a 12 volt compressor fridge by Novacool. Best thing I ever did.
It uses 5 amps when running meaning the same wireing that the absorption fridge used. No large inverter, extra batteries or wireing changes.
The Novacool fit in the same hole that the original but gave me two extra cubic feet of space. In fact I had room to build an extra drawer because it was shorter.
I have 4 6v golf cart batteries, solar and have no issues with lack of power.
I also full time and am more than happy since I installed 2years ago.
jporietis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:29 PM   #11

I pulled out my Norcold and replaced it with a Unique 12 volt compressor fridge. Works great and doesn't need the inverter on since it runs on 12 volts.

I removed the Norcold because I didn't like the temperature fluctuations between the hot afternoons and the colder overnights.

I also didn't like the idea of a propane flame between my fridge and my sidewall.

I have enough solar on the roof that I always keep my 12 volt fridge on when it is parked at my house. I like not having to empty the fridge and take advantage of the cold bottles of water and beer when inside the trailer working on projects.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:23 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Where are the coils for the fridge located? Do they give off noticeable heat to the inside of the trailer? I am interested in going that route if my current fridge goes south.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:41 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
There are also conversion kits that will convert your existing Norcold to a 12V compressor system.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:44 PM   #14

My coils are on the back wall of the fridge. I put in 2 inches of foam board on each side of the new fridge and an 1 inch of foam board on the wall behind the fridge. I permanently sealed the side wall vent and the roof top vent so the trailer is quieter and better insulated against the out side air. I don't worry about the sun shining on the outside trailer wall and heating up the area around the fridge anymore.

I have three 140mm fans at the top of the fridge pulling the warm air up from behind the fridge. I have a vent at the bottom of the fridge supplying air from below the fridge.

I have enough solar power that I can run the air conditioning on solar while the sun is up. I want the fridge to keep a stable inside temperature so I wanted to use inside trailer air to ventilate the coils. This is the way fridges at home work where the air on the outside of the fridge is kept comfortable for humans.

Tags
refrigerator