Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2020, 02:40 PM   #15

Here is the big Rockwood with the big bunk room. Kids would love this bunk room...heck, even I like it.

This is a quick 2 minute video.

https://youtu.be/UI4X5Q1oHOo
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2020, 04:12 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Here is the big Rockwood with the big bunk room. Kids would love this bunk room...heck, even I like it.

This is a quick 2 minute video.

https://youtu.be/UI4X5Q1oHOo
I think that's gonna be a little hard to a) get into a national park as the OP implied and b) pull with a vehicle capable of seating 2 adults and 4 kids with the kids in various sizes of carseat. Particularly if they're going to be doing cross-country road trips as also implied by the OP.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:29 PM   #17

This is what a family of 6 needs but I agree this trailer is huge. What the OP needs to realize is it will not be easy or comfortable to go full time in an RV with kids. A small house is 1,400sq feet and this trailer is 340sq feet approx.

He wants to tow with a big SUV. Maybe 2 kids could sleep in the SUV.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 05:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_the_ee View Post
I think that's gonna be a little hard to a) get into a national park as the OP implied and b) pull with a vehicle capable of seating 2 adults and 4 kids with the kids in various sizes of carseat. Particularly if they're going to be doing cross-country road trips as also implied by the OP.
With 4 kids the OP needs a big truck and a big trailer. I know the OP is thinking of fitting into small sites but first the OP needs to fit his crew into the RV and TV. Due to family size the OP has crossed the small RV threshold.
6 people on a 20' RV is cramped. NOw if you only camp in smaller forest service CG going small maybe doable. However the OP must expand his vision and realize the RV can be used whenever the family must travel over night.
That means going to visit family, take the RV. Going to an amusement park, take the RV. Going to explore another city. Take the RV. Going to the beach, take the RV.
Once you realize there is more to RV'ing than forest service camping, you will not want to base your size solely on FS CG's.
You will also want to use private CG's on occasion, Also state parks can have larger sites.
You may sometimes use your RV strictly as a hotel room. In which case location of CG quickly becomes more important than type of CG.
With a small RV you will need to convert beds every morning and evening.
You will be pressed for storage space. With a larger RV like the one mentined.
The RV becomes more of a rolling condo. Everything you need is always aboard the RV. Add a few perishables and you are off!
Once upon a time I was in the OP's shoes, I had a diesel Excursion pulling a 31BHDS rear bunkhouse RV. It was a fantastic combo.
In today's world I'd look for the same TT and a Full size van to pull it.
With the right set up you will enjoy camping and travel via RV whenever possible. With the wrong set up, the experience will not be as enjoyable and you will not use the RV as often.
Lantley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 06:56 PM   #19

[QUOTE=Dcreswell;5310867]1. We are a family of 5 (3 kids ages 4,3, and 1), but we plan to have one more in the next couple years. So I know that we will need an SUV to prevent from needing 2 vehicles. Please give thoughts on what we should go with for towing vehicle (Expedition seems the best, but is a suburban just as good when you lose about 1,000lbs in towing capacity??)[quote]
My daughter has 4 children all older than yours. They pull a Jayco 28BHBE with their Expedition Max, no problems. Place additional cargo in the RV nit behind the rear seats.

Personally, I would want a larger "residential" refrigerator. They do a better job especially in hot weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcreswell View Post
2. For the 5/6 of us to have good amount of space, I feel a 25-30ft length will be great ...
They have an AMAZING amount of space with the slide kicked out !

Tags
advice, allergies, new buyer, towing question, travel trailer