Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2021, 10:49 AM   #1

New foam for cushions

The foam in the cushions for my banquette is worn out. Anybody replaced the foam in their cushions? What did you use and where did you get it.

The cushions are 4 1/2" thick. I'm thinking a 1 1/2" memory foam mattress topper cut and stacked would do the trick.

Thanks.
RFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2021, 02:48 PM   #2

I have no experience with them, but others have said that buyfoam.com is good to deal with and knowlegable. I intend to replace the foam in the bottom of my dinette cushions, way too soft.

Charles
Old 06-22-2021, 04:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFisher View Post
The foam in the cushions for my banquette is worn out. Anybody replaced the foam in their cushions? What did you use and where did you get it.

The cushions are 4 1/2" thick. I'm thinking a 1 1/2" memory foam mattress topper cut and stacked would do the trick.

Thanks.
Your on the right track with mattress foam.

We're about to do the same on our almost new (2019 model) 5ver.
Original foam is crap.

I'll figure how much foam I need and order and appropriate sized foam mattress (firm) from wayfair.com.

Cut it up with electric carving knife.

Any mattress foam is going to be much better than foam sold at a cut-to-size outlet.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:43 PM   #4
RDG

This is where I bought the new foam for the dinette.
www.foambymail.com
Old 06-22-2021, 07:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
I have no experience with them, but others have said that buyfoam.com is good to deal with and knowlegable. I intend to replace the foam in the bottom of my dinette cushions, way too soft.

Charles
Thanks. Doesn't look like they ship to Canada.

Thinking now I may look for some camp sleeping pads instead. 4" of standard and 5/8" of closed cell might work.
Old 06-22-2021, 08:52 PM   #6

We went to the fabric store and got the foam. Dollar Tree to get the painters drop clothe plastic to replace the plastic covering the foam. Remember to cut the plastic so the air can go in and out. Yes I had to go back and do this, then it was great to have comfortable seats.
Good luck
Old 06-23-2021, 04:04 AM   #7

RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks.
Is the foam worn out or the cushion material stretched out of shape?
Try cutting one layer of the mattress topper and placing it between the existing foam and cushion cover first before buying new foam. If your not happy with that go to fabric store like JoAnns where you can actually feel the firmness of what your after. I don’t think you’ll be happy with stacking layers of the mattress topper.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:30 AM   #8

You should be able to locate higher quality foam via an online supplier as there are quite a few online companies. We replaced the dinette seat cushion foam when we had our Winnebago Mini travel trailer. We had it done at a local upholsterer shop and the better foam made a huge difference.

You could also go to a local shop and see if they will sell you the foam cushions you need and they could also advise you on what foam to use.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilletface View Post
Is the foam worn out or the cushion material stretched out of shape?
Try cutting one layer of the mattress topper and placing it between the existing foam and cushion cover first before buying new foam. If your not happy with that go to fabric store like JoAnns where you can actually feel the firmness of what your after. I don’t think you’ll be happy with stacking layers of the mattress topper.
The foam is worn. It wasn't good quality and it has just degraded to the point where it offers no support.

The online places seem to be in the U.S. and either don't ship to Canada, or pricing is obscene. Fabric store might be an option.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:27 AM   #10

Quote:

Thanks.
Memory Foam is the worst stuff to use in seat cushions. It collapses easily and looses most resilience when exposed to body heat. High density resilient foam is much better.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:51 AM   #11

We have tried cutting closed cell exercise pads to fit and inserting under the seat cushions. They turned out to be too hard for our old bottoms.

I looked at the foam available at Joanne Fabrics in our small city. Their foam was way too soft. It was no better than the failed foam that came with our TT.

Years ago we bought a custom size 3 inch foam mattress from a local mattress company. We put it on top of our old travel trailer seat cushions. It worked great. It cost an arm and a leg.

We will probably do that again to replace our OEM mattress in our three year old TT.

Recently we bought two different seat cushions to put on top of the too soft seat cushions in or new TT. There are thousands available on Amazon. One worked. The other did not.

One was a hard foam contoured to match human bottoms. It continues too work great. It changes how my wife sits to ease her back pain. A second one that is slightly softer also works.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The other pad is a firm foam. It worked fine at first, but soon collapsed. I will try again to replace this one.

I am definitely not an expert on foam cushions. I do know that the material foam is made from is very expensive. To cut costs manufacturers mix fillers with the material before it is expanded. The more the filler, the quicker the foam collapses in use. I am going to have to pay a lot to get firm and long lasting foam.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:11 AM   #12

This worked for us, several different sizes. I guess Amazon will deliver to Canada?

garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 02:16 PM   #13
IC2

Several years ago we bought a heavy smokers TT pretty inexpensively (never again). The dinette seats and other foam was actually soaked in tobacco tar and was shot. We found a local supplier to make up new pieces after we had thoroughly washed the fabric. The new foam was a perfect fit. The cost was sticker shock for the best quality available locally but it held up a couple years for us and several years with the subsequent owner and two rambunctious young kids.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote