Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2011, 06:41 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The 3.55 axle will limit the towing ability. You need to see what size trailer you want to pull before you select the truck.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2011, 07:59 PM   #16

I-gos by Evergreen are light wt as well
toadswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #17

Send a message via Yahoo to pemsit
Casita

I have been through the line of campers from tent to Class A and I just turned to a Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe and love it, all I need, a little cosy with two but doable, I tow with a 1500 Chevy Silverado with a 4.3 engine
pemsit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
He brought home a 2006 f150 4.6l 4x4 ...
I have a 2003 SuperCrew 4.6L V8, 3.55 axle, 4x2, tranny cooler but no oil cooler. I drag a 7x14 cargo trailer that grosses up to around 7,000 pounds. On a recent trip of 300 miles across the Rockies in west Texas (5% to 6% grades) with the trailer loaded to about 7,000 pounds my rig did just fine. Granted, it downshifted to 2nd gear = 4,500 RPM @ 65 MPH on the 6% grades, and it was constantly downshifted out of overdrive = 3,000 RPM for any little bump in the road. But it never overheated and the 4R70W automagic tranny seemed to be fine with that abuse.

And yesterday I returned from a trip to Phoenix. We hauled a load of household goods to Phoenix, then returned to Midland TX empty. The trailer grossed about 5,000 pounds going and 2,000 pounds empty. There was literally no difference in performance or MPG with the trailer loaded or empty. About 11 MPG both ways when cruising at 65 MPH. One leg from Phoenix to Tucson empty I kicked it up to 70 MPH and got only 8.8 MPG. Conclusion. Speed and frontal area kill MPG and cause a drag on the truck. Weight in the trailer doesn't seem to matter.

The Ford 2006 RV and Trailer Towing Guide says your truck with 3.55 axle has a tow rating of 6,200 pounds, but that assumes absolutely nothing in the truck but one skinny driver. So my guess that your truck should be able to handle a TT that weighs up to about 5,500 pounds with no problems. So you should look for a TT that has a GVWR of around 6,000 pounds. When traveling, have empty holding tanks and only a few gallons of fresh water in the water tank and you should be fine.

For example, here is a trailer that should suit your needs. The first one in the list at the following link - model 179QBWE. Shipping weight plus carrying capacity = 6,030 GVWR, so you should be able to keep the weight down to well below 6000 pounds with empty holding tanks. Separate shower so you don't have to sit on the pottie to take a shower. Queen-size bed without having to tear up a dinette or couch is important to me. In fact, if I bought this one, I'd probably throw away the standard mattress and replace it with a better mattress, such as a Serta Euro-top mattress available at Sam's Club (and probably at CostCo) for around $500.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...navAction=push

Keystone Springdale | Specs

Put your cursor over the illustration and the floorplan will pop up big enough to see it.

If you'll be traveling in the desert southwest, then you'll probably want the option of the 15k BTU AC instead of the std 13.5k. (Note the options for that trailer.)

As with all RVs, this one doesn't have tires with enough weight capacity to give you a good fudge factor when loaded for bear. And bigger tires are not a factory option. So I'd replace the tires/wheels with something that has about 25% or more increase in weight capacity. Maybe include the tires/wheels as a dealer-installed option in your order. I'd go for 225/75R15E tires on 6" wide rims if they will fit in the wheelwells.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:33 AM   #19

Thanks again for all the help guy. I am going ahead and pulling the trigger on the truck posted and will keep researching all the travel trailers mentioned. I'm looking forward to my first truck.
hdflhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #20

I had a Chevy S-10 with a tow rating of 5600 but thought my 2500 pound EggCamper was too heavy. This was largely due to my S-10 only having a four speed transmission; it had to downshift to third on every little hill, and second on any large hill. I Wasn't comfortable going 45 in a 65 zone and having cars back up behind me, (although some people don't mind doing that). If it had had a five or six speed tranny it probably would have been fine. I guess my point is you need to be absolutely sure the tug will fill your needs before buying it.

I replaced the S-10 with a full-size truck with a tow rating of 8200 pounds and a six speed transmission; it's made all the difference in the world to me - no more slowing down for every little hill.
Yarcola is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
evergreen, purchase