Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2019, 10:49 AM   #1

Unhappy New Lance Has Water Leaking Problems!

Hello!
My wife and I just purchased our first camper, a 2019 Lance 2185, a month ago. I wish we could say we're in love with it, but we've been having trouble with the shower leaking and water running into the living area from under the entertainment center! Upon open the hatch under the shower and under the entertainment center, we found pools of water!

We were led to believe that Lance was a superior brand, so we didn't expect to have this kind of sloppy issue. To further compound the problem, the soonest we can get it fixed under warranty is a month from now. Guess there goes our summer plans!

What recourse do we have? Obviously, water damage is a major killer of RVs and even if the leaks are fixed, how do we know there aren't other water related damage/mold?

Has anyone else had these kind of issues with newer Lance campers?

Caryl and Anna Hornberger
Fresno, CA
carylmarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2019, 11:24 AM   #2

I would open your hatch underneath the shower and look at the drain lines. My guess is they need tightening up.
But more info would be helpful. Does it only leak while using the shower?
Your vinyl flooring is water proof, plus your floor is insulated with rigid foam board. Mold shouldn’t be a worry.
We’ve owned our Lance for two years now with zero issues.
Personally I would only go back to the dealer if I couldn’t make the repair myself. Even calling a mobile repair guy would be a better choice.
Hope your back to camping soon.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:26 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Caryl & Anna! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Sorry that you're having trouble. I would take it back to the dealer and let them fix the problem. Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carylmarx View Post
Hello!
My wife and I just purchased our first camper, a 2019 Lance 2185, a month ago. I wish we could say we're in love with it, but we've been having trouble with the shower leaking and water running into the living area from under the entertainment center! Upon open the hatch under the shower and under the entertainment center, we found pools of water!

We were led to believe that Lance was a superior brand, so we didn't expect to have this kind of sloppy issue. To further compound the problem, the soonest we can get it fixed under warranty is a month from now. Guess there goes our summer plans!

What recourse do we have? Obviously, water damage is a major killer of RVs and even if the leaks are fixed, how do we know there aren't other water related damage/mold?

Fresno, CA

Have you tried running the shower head into a bucket to see if the leak is from the drain or the backside of the faucet? First just hot, then just cold. We went thru Hell getting the shower faucet to stop leaking in our Newmar. It took lots of patience but my perseverance paid off. As an electrician, I Hate Plumbing! Please don’t give up on RVing because of a workmanship defect. You can get the bugs worked out and you’ll be enjoying the lifestyle in no time.
GJohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carylmarx View Post
Hello!

Fresno, CA
new 1 month old...what did dealer say?
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJohns View Post
Have you tried running the shower head into a bucket to see if the leak is from the drain or the backside of the faucet? First just hot, then just cold. We went thru Hell getting the shower faucet to stop leaking in our Newmar. It took lots of patience but my perseverance paid off. As an electrician, I Hate Plumbing! Please don’t give up on RVing because of a workmanship defect. You can get the bugs worked out and you’ll be enjoying the lifestyle in no time.
We too purchased a new 2019 trailer but a Gulf Stream...
It also has leaked since Nov 2018 ... I had it repaired under warranty but the shower walls are made of the same wall board they used all thru the camper.
Covered the joints with a strip of
The same wall board... it leaks whenever we use the shower. No where else... we just use the campground shower because of this. I haven't decided what to do
As there aren't many options
Plastic coat, flex seal, polyurethane are all options but the problem is whenever we move the camper and it flexes the cracks between the strips and wallboard reappear and the leaks are back.... this is the only problem I've had with this camper but it's also the first new camper and last I'll ever buy.
I have owed 2 gas class A's, 1 gas Class C, a 40 ft DP and triple slide 36 ft 5th wheel....
This is really a P O.S. Camper
and I'm pissed at myself for being such an idiot. I knew Gulf Stream s where **** but bought it anyway ad we where kinda in a hurry to get one and head west for the birth of of first great grandchild.
Best of luck with your camper
I wish you well
Old 06-03-2019, 12:18 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
if dealer cant get to it for a month i’d contact manufacturer for assistance getting authorization to have a local rv repair business do the work. i did this with my orv...no problem.
what material ls below the vinyl? worst case particle board tends to swell and fall apart like a presto-log leading to soft spots and worse. marine grade plywood is more forgiving.
ricndot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:23 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I agree, get the manufacturer to authorize a mobile mechanic.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:10 PM   #9

I too owned 1 Gulf Stream trailer. Agree, what a POS.

Agree, a Lance trailer should not leak. They are supposed to be better than that.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:22 PM   #10

I assume that the month delay in getting warranty repairs completed and how long will that take, is at the selling dealer. First I would not touch something that is the Manuf/selling dealers problem. Here is what I would do.

I would compose a pleasant but FIRMLY worded letter to the CEO of the Lance Corp. with a CC to the selling dealer and to the Attorney General (division of consumer affairs) of the State of CA.

Basically use parts of the first 3 paragraphs of your OP. Then add something like-

That ALL of the operating systems should of been tested at the factory before the final assembly inspection report was issued before delivery to the selling dealer as well that the selling Dealer should of also tested all systems (PDI) before you took possession. That you wanted it fixed NOW so you wouldn’t have to cancel your summer travel plans.

I would guess that 5 minutes after the CEO received the letter the dealers phone would be ringing and 5 minutes later your phone would also ring asking when you could bring it in to be repaired.

I would also make a notation on the warranty repair paper work that other water damage may not be visible in/under some of the inaccessible/hidden areas. ie. try to protect your self from some future water damage issues. Like one of the previous posters said that particle board even plywood underlayment will soften/separate at a later date leaving a soft spot, sometimes water like that will take months to dry out!

It is probably something simple like a loose Pex fitting on the pressure side that leaks constantly when the system is pressurized or just have to tighten the large nut that seals the basket strainer at the shower drain.

Good Luck!
Old 06-12-2019, 06:13 PM   #11

I think it’s best to be polite and ask your dealer for help. If you leave with hard feelings then other dealers may not help you because you didn’t purchase from them. This will certainly not be your last problem so you need your dealer to help you with warranty claims from tithe manufacturer.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, leak, problem, problems, water, water leak