Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2016, 10:49 AM   #1

New or used

New member, been lurking for awhile, learning. I've done some pop-up camping and the dw did tt camping when we were young. I'm looking to get out first camper. We have found a 2011 Passport 2590by seemingly in great shape, roof suppose to have just been resealed, no visible leak stains, and the tires are a year old. The second one we found it a 2016 Grey Wolf 26by. The dealer said the previous owner had it for 4 months. The dealer is willing to give me a year warranty as if it were new. We are a family's of 4, the Passport has a slide, the Grey Wolf does not. The Passport is aluminum frame, the Grey Wolf is wood. I'm keeping the UVW to under 5k, pulling with a 1/2 ton chevy. Need advice, go with the practically new Grey Wolf, or the 5yr old Passport that seems to be better made.
jjdauzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2016, 11:02 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Hi, Welcome. Just my opinion, but I prefer the aluminum frame- less chance of rot (wood) or rust (steel). Also, we just moved up to slide-outs, and love the extra space. Will be appreciated with 4 people, I'm sure.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdauzat View Post
New member, been lurking for awhile, learning. I've done some pop-up camping and the dw did tt camping when we were young. I'm looking to get out first camper. We have found a 2011 Passport 2590by seemingly in great shape, roof suppose to have just been resealed, no visible leak stains, and the tires are a year old. The second one we found it a 2016 Grey Wolf 26by. The dealer said the previous owner had it for 4 months. The dealer is willing to give me a year warranty as if it were new. We are a family's of 4, the Passport has a slide, the Grey Wolf does not. The Passport is aluminum frame, the Grey Wolf is wood. I'm keeping the UVW to under 5k, pulling with a 1/2 ton chevy. Need advice, go with the practically new Grey Wolf, or the 5yr old Passport that seems to be better made.
Forgot to mention the Grey Wolf is about $2.5k more than the Passport
Old 12-19-2016, 07:59 AM   #4

aluminum is nice.. not perfect . can you say oxidation...instead of rust or rot. still similar.

a slide-in. I so distrusted them.. till I needed one... so much better.
so many LESS disagreements ... with Wife... over space..................
and bumping into each other.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:21 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
My Winnie has an aluminum frame and one slide out. I like it.
2015 Winnebago Minnie 2101DS travel trailer & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts of WindyNation solar (parallel) with MPPT controller, 2 Trojan T-125s, TALL flagpole and a great attitude…SoCal based. Perfer USFS, BLM, COE, USF&WS, NPS & state park campgrounds.
LarryW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:18 PM   #6

Decided on the Passport, it is to good of deal to pass up. Got it for a few thousand less than what the Nada average price. Going pick it up tues., a late Christmas present for the family. I'll have to wait a couple weeks for the title, the guy still owes on it, I'm trying to use every precaution to protect myself there. All of use can't wait until we can get to go.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:21 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdauzat View Post
Decided on the Passport, it is to good of deal to pass up. Got it for a few thousand less than what the Nada average price. Going pick it up tues., a late Christmas present for the family. I'll have to wait a couple weeks for the title, the guy still owes on it, I'm trying to use every precaution to protect myself there. All of use can't wait until we can get to go.

Someone owes on a trailer, and the title isn't clear? Available for thousands less? I might have the monies in escrow but taking possession and paying anything is a risk. Spidey senses tingling.....

Good Luck!
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:04 PM   #8

Sketchy this day n age -- unless you know him or have talked to Lien holder -- if not, obviously get a bill of sale and notarized with a witness (or two, or 3!) cover yourself before $$ changes hands

My .02
6Kampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:20 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
If you can tow either go with the one that has the floor plan that fits your wants and needs the best. If price is significantly different factor that in as well.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:53 PM   #10

I'm getting a notarized bill of sale and going with him to his bank to make sure all liens are clear. The payment will go to his bank to pay off what is owed and they will refund him any over payment. But the bank told him it would take a couple weeks to get the title to him. I'm calling his bank to fact check him tomorrow.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:11 PM   #11

Guys, you were right, it got sketchy, an I bailed. When we went to do the deal and do a full checkout of the camper, he decides to tell me that he had a leak, but fixed it. But this was the 3rd time looking at the camper and was never told that he had a leak. The he said it was a couple months after he bought it, red flag, why did he do the repairs his self and not go back to the dealer? So, we are on the hunt for another camper. Found another Grey Wolf with a slide, but it will be over my limit once loaded. Dry weight 5700, max for my truck is 6500.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:32 PM   #12

Glad you didn't get bit.... Good luck hunting
6Kampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:04 PM   #13
RPr

The floor plan is there when all the other issues are forgotten.

A leak is the only major issue i would avoid.

Keep that 5K limit with your 1/2 ton.
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:17 PM   #14

RPr, It was in great condition, including new Goodyear tires(reading they are better than the Chinese built). Just disappointing, thought we had found the perfect starter camper, even brought my two young boys to pick it up. I hear the 5k limit, didn't originally mention I got the 3.08 gears, so #6500 max, trying to stay closer to #4500 dry weight. (Just posted in the TV forum about that)