Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2018, 10:58 AM   #1

New Roof question

New member here. Just got a 21RS a few weeks ago and I thought I would just reseal the roof but after further inspection I’m just going to replace it. My question is should I still put ertabond tape on all the edges and around all the vents after I get the new roof on?

I’m ashamed to admit how bad the guy got me on this camper but it is what it is and I can only fix it at this point.

Has anyone taken their front cap completely off? How hard was it?
The front is also going to have to be replaced. The outer skin/fiberglass is in good shape, but the inside paneling is bad. It would a lot easier to fix if I take the front off.

Thanks
Tcounty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2018, 07:59 PM   #2

No one has installed a new roof?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2018, 08:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcounty1 View Post
No one has installed a new roof?

Comparatively this forum is a little light on membership at the moment, but given time I'm sure someone will reply. Most people don't replace their own roofs due to the amount of work and $ involved.

However, it can be done if you are handy and think you can do it. First, what type of roof its it? Many RVs these days have EPDM or TPO roofs, but some older units can be fiberglass or aluminum.

If it's the standard EPDM or TPO, then you can buy new material (costly), or you can buy a liquid roof alternative that you roll on, usually over the top of the old, or after you've removed the old.

To answer your original question, yes, once your new roof is one, either use Dicor lap sealant (or equivalent) to seal around vents/fittings or use Eternabond in a similar manner...or both.

You can find quite a few self help videos/pictures for processes such as these. There is also another forum where members have done some of this work and posted their stories. If you'd like to PM me I can give you that link.

Good luck with your new rig!
Bentrod425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:28 PM   #4

Yes, if you can afford it - Eternabond it!
Danny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:34 PM   #5

I’m tearing the old roof off tomorrow and removing the front cap. Got my new roof (edpm) in yesterday. I went ahead and bought enough tape to do every edge and anything else on the roof Also enough lap sealant but that may be overkill.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcounty1 View Post
I’m tearing the old roof off tomorrow and removing the front cap. Got my new roof (edpm) in yesterday. I went ahead and bought enough tape to do every edge and anything else on the roof Also enough lap sealant but that may be overkill.

One of the concerns I have with Eternabond is how to seal corners where Eternabond overlaps Eternabond. You may need some lap in those corners.

Can you share pictures with us? Would love to see it!
Danny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:29 PM   #7

Yep. I plan to take pics the whole way through. I figure it will take me a few weeks start to finish.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:37 PM   #8

The tape that goes across the front needs to have the leading ends of each side tape underneath it.....the rear cap tape needs to be under the side tape ends.....therefor, it'd be easier to do the rear cap first, then the sides, then the front......think wind!......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
The tape that goes across the front needs to have the leading ends of each side tape underneath it.....the rear cap tape needs to be under the side tape ends.....therefor, it'd be easier to do the rear cap first, then the sides, then the front......think wind!......

Gotcha. Good tip.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:32 AM   #10

When we purchased new in 2016, one of the first things I did was install Eternabond to all the seams and vents on the roof. I feel like it is a great product and well worth the cost and effort to install it. Never replaced the roof, I hope to maintain ours well enough that I never have to.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:15 PM   #11

Well here’s the update. 14 hours in today , 2 men. All 4 corners were rotten all the way to the floor. Hardest part so far was trying to handle the front cap without tearing it up.

If you’re looking at a used camper look it over very carefully. Feel all the outside walls , if there’s anything that’s not right walk away. You have no idea how bad it is until you take it apart. Best thing is buy new( what I wanted to do but the wife said no).

A lot still to do. Good thing is we are going to change the floor plan to suit our needs.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:18 PM   #12

Old 06-30-2018, 08:20 PM   #13

Not sure what caused those aluminum studs to rot. Mold or electrolysis? Did did where the factory put a staple through a 12 v wire into an aluminum stud.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:21 PM   #14

Also forgot to get a picture of the roof after we removed all the plywood and insulation. I’ll get that tomorrow.

Tags
roof