Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2017, 05:05 AM   #1

New Tires ??

Hello All

After a tire problem, we are considering replacing all 4 tires. Whats the opinion on going from 14" to 15" tires. I know the wheel wheels are a little tight, but the way i see it it will only add 1/2 " to the clearance .

Many Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2017, 07:19 AM   #2

You need to find the actual diameter. Depending on tire size, it may be much different than the 1/2" you quoted. TireRack is a good place to find the specifications.

Yes, I would use a larger size if possible, OEM is often the bare minimum that the manufacturers can get away with. I used LT tires one size and one load rating higher than the cheap donuts that came with the trailer.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:08 AM   #3

Tire clearances will be your biggest deciding factor. Make sure that you don't hat to tight. I'm mot a big fan of changing rim sizes. Also think and do your homework before switching from st to lt type tires. Sidewall flex can get you into a bad situation real quick. Lt tires have more flex so they can carry weight. More flex equals more sway. Keep her between the ditches. Shiny side up, and greasy side down. Safe travels... Dusty
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:36 AM   #4

I switched to 15" rims and Goodyear Cargo G26 LT radials. Due to the higher load rating and higher PSI ratings the trailer is much more stable.
LT tires are light-years more advanced than ST design. It's an old myth that LT tires aren't suitable for trailer use (whether claiming interply sheer, sidewall flexing, or what have you).
There is a reason the high end and extremely customer centric brands (ie: Airstream, Lux, Oliver, etc) use LT tires on their trailers from the factory.
Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut4speed View Post
I switched to 15" rims and Goodyear Cargo G26 LT radials. Due to the higher load rating and higher PSI ratings the trailer is much more stable.
I concur, if you can go to a 15", you will have an the option of higher ply, higher weight rated tires. It would be worth the switch.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
OEM is often the bare minimum that the manufacturers can get away with. I used LT tires one size and one load rating higher than the cheap donuts that came with the trailer.
The vehicle manufacturer MUST provide wheels & tires that comply with minimum safety standards. The following paragraph is an excerpt from the directions they are given from NHTSA.

“The size designation and the recommended cold inflation pressure for those tires such that the sum of the load rating of the tires on each axle is appropriate for the GAWR.”

With appropriate being an action word it puts design selection squarely in the hands of the vehicle manufacturer. Special Trailer (ST), Light Truck (LT), Passenger (P) and any of the commercial truck trailer tires are in play. Because manufacturer (A) uses one of those designs on a trailer with similar design and weight as another by manufacturer (B) does not mean the same tires can be used on a trailer built by manufacturer (B) that has used another design. Vehicle certification takes precedence. That’s why retailers will refuse to replace ST tires with tires from another design. By doing so they would be saying they know more about what is “appropriate” than the vehicle manufacturer. If challenged, they can’t win that one.

Of course, there is nothing to prevent an individual owner from using whatever replacement they choose. Unless there is active vehicle inspection standards where the vehicle is registered. Other ramifications are self-evident.

My posts are often seen as being adversarial. This is intended to be informative.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:04 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Another poster has implied that one could get in trouble with the "tire police" by changing tires. Well, there is no "tire police"! You can put on any tire you want as long as it meets the minimum load capacity of you axles, GAWR.

Some folks posting here actually receive compensation for promoting a particular type of tire, go figure!

Keith
kedanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Hello All

After a tire problem, we are considering replacing all 4 tires. Whats the opinion on going from 14" to 15" tires. I know the wheel wheels are a little tight, but the way i see it it will only add 1/2 " to the clearance .

Many Thanks
Posted this in your other thread.
Boogie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:09 PM   #9

14" to 15" is a good move most of the time. Its one move I make on boat trailers......cargo trailers.....car haulers......or any smaller trailer.
Larger diameter tires give a better ride .
better tire selections in 15" sizes and tire types.
Don't bit into the rv newby thing and use a 15" E tire on that small size trailer when 14" tire had plenty of capacity.

Dexter says 1" min between the tires.
I've found on std leaf spring suspension trailer 2 3/4" clearance at the top of the tire and 1/2" on the sides worked for my trailers.

When upgrading the tire size.... upgrade the quality of tire also for years of trouble free service
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:14 PM   #10

Quote:
LT tires are light-years more advanced than ST design. It's an old myth that LT tires aren't suitable for trailer use (whether claiming interply sheer, sidewall flexing, or what have you).
There is a reason the high end and extremely customer centric brands (ie: Airstream, Lux, Oliver, etc) use LT tires on their trailers from the factory.

I couldn’t agree more. I switched from factory 15” ST to 16” LT the day I brought my TT home. The difference is profound.

There are those out there that defend ST tires to the end... but I just shake my head in disbelief.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:28 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
I couldn’t agree more. I switched from factory 15” ST to 16” LT the day I brought my TT home. The difference is profound.

There are those out there that defend ST tires to the end... but I just shake my head in disbelief.
Yep! There is at least one out there defending ST's that was receiving compensation for doing so at one time. He went through over 20 tires in a short time and still was defending them. Hard to believe!

Keith
kedanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:17 AM   #12

Quote:
IF your LT tires can meet the loading requirements, then you should be safe to go. But TT tires are supposedly designed to withstand high loads while stationary for extended periods. LT tires are not so rated or designed. Some caution is required.
bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
IF your LT tires can meet the loading requirements, then you should be safe to go. But TT tires are supposedly designed to withstand high loads while stationary for extended periods. LT tires are not so rated or designed. Some caution is required.
How is holding a load while stationary any different or more strenuous then holding a load under use?
Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbin View Post

If a tire can handle the load while going down the road, it can handle the load while not moving! LOL.

I guess I’ll take my chances with a blowout while sitting in my driveway 🤣.

Me thinks people think LT tires are some sort of bicycle tire and that ST tires are some super hero...
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires