Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #15

All the discussions I've seen about the problems with LCI (Lippert) chassis is what is so attractive about Northwood trailers. They make their own frame/chassis and it appears to have a pretty good reputation from what we've been able to gather so far. They even go as far to call their chassis "off-road."

I've attached the Nash brochure to this post if you'd like to take a look. That 23B model does have a GVWR of 7,000 lbs. so it may be approaching the limits of what you can tow with a Tundra? ...I'll leave that to the experts for their advice.

-harry and amanda
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Nash_Brochure.pdf (2.05 MB, 55 views)
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you like the Northwood trailers, be sure to check out Nash's other brand, Outdoors RV Manufacturing.

Happy hunting!
arveer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
As a starting point without knowing what your truck really weighs, use 80% of the Max Toyota tow rating. Look for trailer with a GVWR lower than this number. Forget the dry weight numbers unless you plan to remove the options and never put anything in the trailer.

YES you will need a weight distribution with with a sway control. The best bang for the money is a Reese Dual Cam HP or Straitline hitch. Many dealers do not like to sell this hitch as it takes a bit longer to install and set up, plus it cost a bit more than the standard friction type set ups.

Personally, I would not use a Tundra for more than a 26' long travel trailer and forget about 5th wheels.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #18

I did not realize any of this...based on truck which hauls 7K pounds and taking all this advice of keeping it to 5K lbs...doesn't look I can find a TT that can accomodate my family of 5?
Alphaco1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #19

Alphaco, is your Tundra a 4x4? ...and is it an Access Cab or Stepside?

I've found an excellent reference page that will give us the answer to how heavy a trailer you can tow if we know the answers to those two questions.

Here's the page and at the bottom, it will give all the information we need including, GVWR, GCWR, and maximum towing capacity: click here

But yes, it does look as if that Northwood 23B might be too heavy depending on the configuration of your Tundra.

-harry

Old 06-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #20

Thanks for the site, yep 4x4... Looks like 7K is max...
Old 06-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #21

Alphaco, since we just posted on our thread bout our own calculations on towing the trailer we're thinking about purchasing, we thought we'd add a few things to think about pertaining to your situation.

Yes, you may be able to tow 7,000 lbs. with the Tundra, however, one factor you have to take into consideration is the relationship between your GVWR and GCWR.

Let's say you have your Tundra loaded to its maximum capacity --or let's assume that for illustration purposes because you will have your family in the truck and probably quite a bit of cargo in the bed-- you may have to have the trailer weigh a bit lower than that 7,000 lb. figure.

So let's follow through on that scenario. Your Tundra has a GVWR of 6,200 lbs. GVWR is the weight rating that the manufacturer assigns to the vehicle as its maximum weight to be operated safely. So let's assume that you will have it loaded to its maximum weight or GVWR of 6,200 lbs. This may or may not be your actual weight but like I mentioned, it may be approaching that as you will have your family and cargo in the bed.

That reference page also give you the curb weight of the Tundra which is essentially the weight without passengers or cargo. So, the curb weight is approximately 4,725 lbs. so GVWR minus curb weight = approximate weight you can load into your Tundra. 6,200 - 4,725 = 1,475 lbs.

Now, let's take the GCWR of the Tundra. The GCWR is the maximum weight rating for BOTH the truck and trailer not to exceed which is determined by the manufacturer for safe towing. The GCWR of your Tundra is 11,800 lbs.

So, assuming that you have your Tundra loaded to its maximum, the trailer weight should not exceed 5,600 lbs.

Calculated: 11,800 lbs (GCWR) minus 6,200 lbs (GVWR) = 5,600 lbs.

That's the reason I'm thinking that you shouldn't be looking at trailers in the 7,000 lb range.

This is a simplistic explanation and to figure actual CCC is a bit more complicated but at least this gives you an approximation of how heavy a trailer you might want to be looking at.

I hope what I've described is correct and makes sense as like I stated previously, we're new to towing recreational trailers too. We've towed cars behind our motorhome for the past decade but not trailers. I'm sure the nice folks on this forum will correct any faulty information we've given here.

-harry and amanda
Old 06-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #22

Wow, thanks for the info and taking time to explain it all. I think my first choice will be to upgrade my truck...
Old 06-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #23

If thinking of upgrading the truck take this leap. (I did not). Think about a 3/4 ton truck. Now that you made that leap why get a 3/4 ton truck when a 1 ton SRW is the same dimensions with much more capibility.

This may save you $$$ in the long run. A SRW 1 ton truck (F-350, Chevy 3500, Ram 3500).

I went from a Honda Ridgeline, to a 2011 F-150. I really like both for their intended purpose. I towed a 5,500 lb not to areodynamic trailer with both truck. The Ridgeline (I keep the trailer between 4,700 to 5,000 lbs. with the Ridgeline) Upped it to 5,500 with the F-150.

I do not think I would tow more than 7,000 lbs. with my 5.0 litre 1/2 ton F-150.

Now I have a diesel. I can not explain the difference in towing.

I have read Trailer Life Mag. plus talked to 4 people who tow trailers with the heavy duty single rear wheel trucks. Seems a SRW heavy duty truck can handle just about any trailer made. Trailer Life Mag towed a 34' Perterson Excel Winslow trailer that had 4 slides and weighed around 12,500 with a SRW Ram 3500 and said the truck easily handled the trailer.

Fyi - a 1/2 ton truck weighs 5700 lbs. A heavy duty truck weighs 7700 lbs.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #24

"I know Lance makes their own frames and some others must too or use other suppliers."

I thought Lance bought their frames built to "their specs", but I'm not sure. I do agree with Amanda that that size Nash may be a little much for the earlier gen Tundra. I have a 2009 bib brother to your 2003. It tows our 22 ft Arctc Fox, about 6700lbs loaded, fine, but I wouldn't want to try with little brother. There are many light, or lite, models on the market. Creek side, Passport, and similar in shorter sizes--or maybe one of the hybrids will be more satisfying in the long run. As others have said, keep the loaded weight well under 6000 and you'll be happier. And safer.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #25

Thank you all for your input and advice, so glad I joined this...learning a ton...
Old 06-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
If thinking of upgrading the truck take this leap. (I did not). Think about a 3/4 ton truck. Now that you made that leap why get a 3/4 ton truck when a 1 ton SRW is the same dimensions with much more capibility.

This may save you $$$ in the long run. A SRW 1 ton truck (F-350, Chevy 3500, Ram 3500).

Fyi - a 1/2 ton truck weighs 5700 lbs. A heavy duty truck weighs 7700 lbs.
Several reasons. Heavy duty trucks are heavier and not rated for MPG because they are designed to work and inherently get poor gas mileage. So if this is a daily driver, a modern half ton pickup with a 23ish foot trailer is fine. If its mostly a utility truck and camping vehicle, then a 3/4 ton truck should be considered. A 250/2500 series truck is a great choice for when not hauling, the suspensions is much more comfortable and rides just a little stiffer than a half ton. 350/3500 series trucks are too stiff for when unloaded. You bounce alot on the highway, it's not comfortable if you have kids and their trying to sleep in the back. I would only consider a 3500 truck if you're serious about getting a big trailer or 5th wheel.

Also in many states, modern 350/3500 trucks exceed 10,000lbs GVWR, which puts you into commercial territory even with SRW. Single or duallies don't matter, it's the rating that matters. I think RV travel trailers may be exempt, but if you say hitch up to a car trailer and tow, you must stop at weigh stations and follow commercial DOT rules. Even if it's a personal vehicle and you're using it for personal use, don't even own a business or anything. You're still considered commercial. Each state is different, you'll have to check the laws. Some states allow you to register your vehicle at a lower weight rating(9,999 lbs)

Also, with 3 kids, suburban's and expeditions aren't bad trucks. They also make a 3/4 ton suburban 2500 with a 6.0L engine if you are planning on doing alot of traveling.
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #27

With a family of 4 total we had a 09 keystone passport, weighed in at 4360, I towed it with a dodge ram 1500 4.7 L. Well after 14 months of towing I upgraded to a ram 2500 with the Cummings diesel. Towed it like it was not there. With a 4.7 you will feel the camper behind you. Without a weight distribution it will sway all over the road. We have since upgraded to a 2011 keystone outback 312bh travel trailer. New one weighs 7500 so loaded I am towing 8000. This model we have has two bunks n back along with a pull out couch with a air mattress. We love it as it is the kids room, plus it has a outdoor kitchen with fridge, sink, cabinets, two burner stove and a grill that hooks to the back bumper.
Do find one with insulation package for cold weather camping and buying used definitely will save you thousands. I say go to a dealer or RV show look around but take notes of the models you like, then come home and search online, Craig's list, eBay and RV for sale.

We started small and upgraded, now we have what we want and the truck that can tow anything we wish to have later.
TTCamper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #28

Exclamation i have the same year tundra

We are also looking for a travel trailer that we can tow with our 2003 Toyota Tundra. With the tow package your max tow weight it 7300 lbs. I know, I checked with the dealer. We are keeping our search to trailers 5500 GVWR or less. I have done massive search on line, on forums, on pissedoffconsumer.com and other places. I even went so far as to buy the rv rating guide for tt. every time i think i have narrowed my search to one trailer i read something that makes me reconsider and start looking again. Still have not made a definitive decision!! I can tell you which rv companies have the best ratings in the ultra lite category and the tt category. I have not seen or read anything bad aobut the livin lite camplite ultra lite travel trailer. They do make a bunk house model that would work for you. They are the number one rated ultra lite tt this year, over airstream! The problem I run into with it is finding any one who sells them within driving distance of my home and the price is prohibitive. You are going to find most tt too heavy, look for an ultra lite. northwoods are mostly too heavy. i have read a lot of bad things about lance and they are really low on the rating scale i bought. good luck and let me know what you end up buying!!!
bandsmills is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel