Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2019, 08:41 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJSteele View Post
dfm:

Are you referring to the Jayco or other trailers as well?

It appears as if you are saying my Ford F150 with a listed tow weight of 8800 lbs could not tow a lighter 26 foot trailer as well?
"I had the same truck and a smaller trailer(lighter and 26 feet The truck was well beyond it's ability to tow it, let alone do it safely). It was an expensive and frustrating lesson."
That is what I am getting from your statement above.

So you are saying Ford is lying and putting me, my family, and all others on the road in jeopardy by all people who are pulling trailers that are much lighter than the listed weight?

Would you please make you statement clearer.

What was the exact length of trailer your truck struggled with, the actual weight of the trailer (not listed), the GCW of both truck and camper, and the listed tow rating for that truck?

Please give year of truck, rear axle ratio, engine size, and tire size (this also plays a part in the final tow capabilities).

Also, give a trailer weight that you feel this truck can handle safely.

I am not clear on what you are stating!

God bless!!

Michael
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade or denigrate your truck, but here is a fact. A "working" truck needs a lot of towing capacity. In farmer's parlance, you have a "purty, city truck". It is fine for light hauling, but it was not built to tow heavy loads over long distances. They can put all the weight limits on a sticker, but I'd be darned charry of them. It's not worth your family's safety to risk their lives on what a paper sticker says when it means that is the absolute max to even think about for short term hauling. Think about what a pickup truck was actually designed for. It didn't even make it to the city en masse until the last 25 or so years. They were light working trucks for jobs that didn't need a big truck. If you are actually considering a 33 foot trailer, you will need a pickup with a higher towing capacity. Remember that water weighs 11 pounds per gallon. Fuel is 8 point something a gallon, a 150 pound man (small for most men) and a wife and/or other passengers will certainly tax your pickup with a trailer the weight of the Jayco. And as has been stated here ad nausem, don't, never, ever trust a salesman.
Linda Bohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2019, 10:05 PM   #72

New to RVing and have questions!

Water is 8 lbs/gallon...roughly 64 lbs/cuft. You get about 8 gallons per cuft. Easy numbers to remember.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:19 AM   #73

Important to keep in mind the hitch weight, distribution of towed weight in trailer and braking characteristics under various conditions. and finally the aerodynamics. Truck with cap without height of trailer profile around cap, top,sides etc. For example a boat vs a trailer towed behind a naked or capped fx50 vs ex50 just a thinkin out loud over me cupa
Old 09-07-2019, 05:13 PM   #74

Typically, the best travel trailer in the world (when asked) is the one you have right now. I seldom hear anyone claim to have one they don't like.
A family of five (when the kids were small) made do with a popup, 10 gallons of water in the tank, and a 5 gallon Port-a-pottie.
Now, the two of us have a 26' Tracer with pressured water (48 gallons) and two holding tanks (30 gallons each). Anything longer would not fit in many of the areas we have gone.
When at a RV park (trailer park!) with no sewer dump we can last about two weeks on the black tank. The gray water tank will last about 7-10 days if you take quick showers (water on and off).
In a pinch, a couple of guests can sleep on the dining table. I don't care to limit our access with a long trailer, much less haul around beds that are seldom used.
Think tent, tarp, motel.
Last year in Colorado Springs we stayed in our trailer while the others stayed in a motel on the same property.
If you are getting an RV for your use, then you and spouse write up a spec sheet and then find the trailer that meets most, if not all, of those requirements.
You will then have 'The BEST RV in the world"!!
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:16 PM   #75

[QUOTE=garywilson;4946249]Typically, the best travel trailer in the world (when asked) is the one you have right now. I seldom hear anyone claim to have one they don't like.
A family of five (when the kids were small) made do with a popup, 10 gallons of water in the tank, and a 5 gallon Port-a-pottie.
Now, the two of us have a 26' Tracer with pressured water (48 gallons) and two holding tanks (30 gallons each). Anything longer would not fit in many of the areas we have gone.
When at a RV park (trailer park!) with no sewer dump we can last about two weeks on the black tank. The gray water tank will last about 7-10 days if you take quick showers (water on and off).
In a pinch, a couple of guests can sleep on the dining table. I don't care to limit our access with a long trailer, much less haul around beds that are seldom used.
Think tent, tarp, motel.
Last year in Colorado Springs we stayed in our trailer while the others stayed in a motel on the same property.
If you are getting an RV for your use, then you and spouse write up a spec sheet and then find the trailer that meets most, if not all, of those requirements.
You will then have 'The BEST RV in the world"!![/QUOTE

Our 5er only sleeps 2. It is 41’ long with 5 slides. We did not buy it for company.
Captn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:19 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJSteele View Post
Hello everyone on this fantastic forum!

You are the ones my wife and I need to hear from.

We are lining up to buy our first pull behind travel trailer.

I want, no - need, your opinions on several questions.

We have several trailers we are looking at and deciding is a little difficult.

1) How close to your trucks GVWR max would you get when picking a camper?
We have a truck with a towing cap of 8800 lbs.
Does that mean it is comfortable to take it up towards that or should we stay below by say, 1000 lbs?

2) This is mainly for my wife and myself but we want it capable for 2 to 4 more guests.
Are most that say they have sleeping room for 6 really legitimate or is that a tight 6?

3) Keeping the "Up to 6" in mind, but 99% of the time it will be the two of us, what is the minimum Fresh/Gray/Black water capacities you would recommend?

4) We are thinking a 24' to 26' trailer. What are your experiences? Is that a good size to comfortably house up to 6 (but mostly 2)? We chose that length range for ease of pulling and backing.

5) Any things that stick out in your minds that you especially like or do not care for in a travel trailer?

6) Does it matter regarding fiberglass or metal shell?

7) Does having a ladder on the end indicate you can go up on the roof or always avoid stepping foot on the roof?

8) Is there a make or two that stands out in your mind as having exceptional trailers?

9) We are hoping to have our travel trailer on hand by the end of October.
We live in north central Pennsylvania.
We will use it mostly in fall and spring as we are always very busy in the summer. Any thoughts on colder weather RVing?

Please, throw out there anything that comes to mind. It will only help us. We feel strongly about having a slide. Are those without big enough to enjoy as well?

Thank you to everyone for helping us out. While working today and thinking where can I go to get answers it hit me - a forum like yours here where you all have great experiences!

God bless!!

Michael and Karen

I will be reading the entire thread. But was wanting to address this first, or at least what I feel comfortable addressing

Many are going to tell you no where near. With today's ridged testing standards you can easily do up to your max weight ( loaded trailer, with full tanks and everything you own [for the trailer] in trailer ) that said if not a diesel you will cry on hills and mountains, if using a 1/2 ton or less, go through brakes like candy ( not maxed out one of my sets on my 1500 went 10k... ) and you NEC to also include any extras in your cab, including you ( most manufacturers assume a driver of 120lbs. )

Make sure to include any cargo, people, and additions ro the vehicle

A tight 6, get ones with real beds ( pull out sofas are ok too ), I recommend not using the table. Ours have a bunk and a pull it in the sofa ( queen size )

Depends on many things, never travel with no water, the black and gray, the sloshing help to clean everything, also the driving make a perfect tone to use draino or similar to enhance the cleaning ( as per most manuals that I have read ) ( you will love bringing your own toilet everywhere...... trust me....l

Another question you will have to answer is are you willing to conserve

Are you planning on boondocking ? Most camp grounds have water! Ect ect

personal preference, get a camera, I love haloview due to the price point and the one I bought is also a DVR ( dash cam ) for 3 camera and a 7 " monitor it was similar in price to the furrion 7" and single camera. Also great signal.

The furrion is good to...

I recommend a after market stinky hose holder ( I have once that is a pipe ( like abs material ) that is bolted to the frame

If you boondock, a generator

Storage is key. Make sure you have enough !

Personal preference, I have been told al is cheaper and easier to repair from damage, but it is easily damaged esp by hail. Al siding is way way way heavier. Fiberglass costs more.

It means you can walk on it, however I would walk on either ( with or without ) but you need to be careful.

Either way, you need to do roof checks, at minimum 1ce per year

All are made cheap. Accept it now.

You will never find a perfect trailer. You can make it perfect though.

If planning to get a four seasons rv. It isn't fullproof, but it is needed/ better
mega__man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:12 AM   #77

Hey everyone!

Have been very busy the last couple days working a show an hour away.
But when I get home (late) I have been checking on and finding what you have to say.
These are great points all are making and very helpful to someone looking for their first on no experience.
I really enjoy how one person makes a point and another can take that and expound on it into other ways or areas.
Thank you all for your experience sharing.
We are still looking and going thru trailers but I can do so now from a better perspective.
We are not getting one with a dry weight above 5K and are paying plenty of attention to hitch weight as well.
Will let you know as things progress and will continue to lean on all of you.

Thanks and God bless!!

Michael and Karen
MJSteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:32 AM   #78

MJSteele
Look on the truck door. You will find the tire pressure and the tow maximum your truck can handle. You should know all your tow information.
For my own piece of mind I bought a TT that is a lower weight than my truck recommendation. I also made sure that the stuff I put in it is lower than the weight load of the TT recommendations. Also make sure your weight it is evenly distributed.
It's amazing how many pounds we put in our TT and don't realize it. Most are WAY over with too much unnecessary crap.
Also make sure you buy a weight distributor /anti sway apparatus. AND an EMS electric protector. Get one that cycles the electric readings with the surge protector. You will encounter bad electrical connections at some campgrounds even at a KOA.
Also DON'T speed. TT are only to be driven at top speed 55 mph. I sometimes sneak it up to 59 but it's not recommended. Another recommendation is to get a tire monitoring system. Good luck and enjoy. BE safe and responsible.
waterlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:51 PM   #79

2004 was the very 1st F-150 that was not a death trap. 2003 F-150 was junk. 2004 was a big improvement. I am not a fan of the dog like 5.4 engine.

When will you be ready for a newer truck?

Just for fun go test drive a 2015 or newer F-150 with a 3.5 Eco-Boost just to see how much progress was made since 2004. Then test drive the 5.0 litre V8 F-150. Both engines will make you smile.

To me, the most comfortable trailers are bigger with 2 slides and need a F-250 to tow them.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:40 PM   #80

Sooooooooooooo True

Tags
rving