Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #1

New to trailering

Hello and thanks for all the good posts and sharing your knowledge. After years of reading these travel forums we are finally able to travel this winter. One of the first things I always hear you guys say is don't believe anyone or the trailer sticker concerning weights. i bought a 1997 Jayco Hawk 24FB that spent most of its life in a pole barn.
It had the original tires on it and 3 of them were dated 1995 and one 1994 and the previous owner would jump in it and go camping for a week each summer. Anyway he still took very good care of it. The title says 3350 lbs and I knew that wasnt true so I had it weighed at a gravel pit scale. It was 4000 lbs. It has an awning, a/c, microwave, battery, a 20 pound propane tank and a 30 pound tank, 2- 24 inch led tv's, spare tire and a small cabinet that the other guy installed.
The GVWR is 4700. The axle ratings are 4400 combined. Oh yes, I also bought a tongue weight scale. Tongue weight is 525 lbs. I set up the wdh per your instructions also and its sitting good with about one inch of nose down on the trailer. Also has anti sway. It pulls real nice.
The truck is pretty well loaded with what we will need and the trailer has most of the cooking, bedding, towels etc in it. We have not loaded any food, refrigerator stuff, clothing, shoes, cameras, laptops, etc. I drove it to a CAT scale today and this is what my weights are. TV is a 2013 Chevy 1500 4x4 ext cab with trailer package.
GVWR 7000
GAWR Front 3950
GAWR Rear 3950

Scale weights
Front axle 3140
Rear axle 3560
Trailer axles 4280
Tongue weight 525

So I think everything came out pretty good but I not done loading!!! Im guessing I need to load about 300 to 400 more pounds somewhere plus me, wife and 2 dogs (350 lb total). I would appreciate any advice.
rjxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
My advice...ENJOY, and you did replace the tires, right? I would also hook it up in your driveway and live in is for a few days then come back here with your questions,,lol. Your weights look ok but getting close to max. Others will chime in here about your weigths, Good luck and Welcome!
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #3

Sounds like you are all set. 2x on the tires. Spend a night or 2 in the driveway learning the systems and making lists on anything you find you need and/or go in to the house to get. Then load up and enjoy. Since you have experience tent camping most of your gear will go directly into the TT.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
My advice...ENJOY, and you did replace the tires, right? I would also hook it up in your driveway and live in is for a few days then come back here with your questions,,lol. Your weights look ok but getting close to max. Others will chime in here about your weigths, Good luck and Welcome!

Thanks, Yes I did replace the tires. lol
rjxj is offline   Reply With Quote