Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #15

My suggestion would be step up to a 3/4 ton Diesel engine for decent towing of any type of camper. I had a keystone passport weighed 4700, towed with half ton but felt it all the way traveling in north Florida with little hills. Upgraded to 3/4 ton diesel and towed it like a dream, now we upgraded the trailer to the keystone outback 312BH model, weighs loaded 8500, has total kids room, plus nice outdoor kitchen area. My family is only 4 of us but diesel tows so smooth and never had any issues. Truck is dodge ram 2500 HD with 6.7 turbo diesel by cummins.

Good luck but I would upgrade your truck and buy the unit you want for space and room to meet your needs now and for the future.
TTCamper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfengr View Post
GVWR - 7200 lb.
Payload - 1375 lb.
Tow Rating - 9000 lb.
Family weight - 650ish lb.
The payload and tow rating numbers are derived and probably overstated. Ignore them.

The GVWR is a real number, and is probably your limiter as to how much trailer you can tow without exceeding any of Toy's weight limits. So here's the drill:

Load the Toy with family, tools, and anything else that will be in it when towing. Go to a truckstop that has a certified automated truck scale, such as a CAT scale or J scale. Fill up with gas, then weigh the wet and loaded pickup. Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded pickup from the GVWR of the pickup and the answer is your real-world payload available for trailer hitch weight.

Divide that available payload by 0.15, and the answer is the maximum GVWR of any TT you want to consider.

Example 1:
Your wet and loaded pickup weighs 6,400 pounds. That leaves 800 pounds for hitch weight. 800 divided by 0.15 = 5,333. So don't consider any TT with a GVWR over 5,333 pounds.

Example 2:
Your wet and loaded pickup weighs 6,300 pounds. That leaves 900 pounds for hitch weight. 900 divided by 0.15 = 6,000. So don't consider any TT with a GVWR over 6,000 pounds.

There are some small, lightweight bunkhouse TTs with GVWR less than 6,000 pounds. For example, here's one:
< Heartland Lightweight Trailers | Heartland RVs

That one doesn't have a slide, but if you can keep the wet and loaded weight of your Toy down to less than 6,300 pounds, then you can tow that one without being overloaded.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've owned the Tundra with the 5.7L. Ours had slightly higher towing capacity than yours, but for a gas truck - it's been, by far, the best gas tow truck I've ever had. We towed a 6000lb boat with ours.

My general recommendation is to not exceed 75% of tow capacity if you can help it. I think if you're looking in the 6000lb range, you'll be OK, other calculations aside.... With loading, you're looking at 7000-8000, again, within spec of the Tundra and certainly within capacity.

A bigger tow vehicle is nice, but try out the lifestyle before you dump more money into it...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
I've owned the Tundra with the 5.7L. Ours had slightly higher towing capacity than yours, but for a gas truck - it's been, by far, the best gas tow truck I've ever had. We towed a 6000lb boat with ours.

My general recommendation is to not exceed 75% of tow capacity if you can help it. I think if you're looking in the 6000lb range, you'll be OK, other calculations aside.... With loading, you're looking at 7000-8000, again, within spec of the Tundra and certainly within capacity.

A bigger tow vehicle is nice, but try out the lifestyle before you dump more money into it...
That's what I'm seeing. I thought about getting a bigger truck, but the Tundra is my daily driver too. I can't see getting an F250 or equivalent to do that. I appreciate all the responses and will certainly appreciate any further insight.
ucfengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
One last statement....you can't send a boy to do a mans job. Do not expect a Tundra to do the job of the F250.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Don't let the Tundra bashers get to you. What year is it? Your tow rating of 9,000 lbs. seems a bit low to me.

I tow a TT with a dry weight of 6,900 lbs. with my Tundra and am very satisfied (your weight may vary though).

Also, a "250" don't mean squat. It depends on what engine is in it.
arveer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #21
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by arveer View Post

Also, a "250" don't mean squat. It depends on what engine is in it.
The size of engine doesn't mean squat for handling a trailer. A lot of people are buying into the hype that with enough HP you can just about tow anything. I have one of those engines but it weighs 8K. By choice I don't tow over 60 even though I can. About 40 years ago I was driving a 2T truck for a farmer hauling potatoes. GVW was about 25/30K. Part of our route was on I90 in E Wa. There was a grade about 10 Mi that was 15 mph for that old truck but would do 60 down the other side and handled very well. I won't comment on what a Tundra can handle as I don't know.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote