Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2019, 12:59 PM   #1

New to TT, squishy floor spots

Hey All,

I just bought a 2004 Fleetwood wilderness Yukon 29 foot travel trailer. There’s some squishy spots in the floor that I’m going to take on since we are going to put in laminate/vinyl tiles. I’m pretty handy so not too concerned.

There’s some discoloration on the linoleum. I tore up the section that was squishy and low and behold it’s wet. But the part where it’s squishy appears fine, the center of the photo. Now it seems to me that it’s just 1/8 in plywood over foam. So does that mean the foam is bad? Not sure what the issue is and looking for some guidance before I start completely ripping this apart.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5022.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	379.1 KB
ID:	247715

Name:	IMG_5023.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	436.3 KB
ID:	247716

This is the other side. You can see the discoloration better. The soft spot here is just past the dinette. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	247717

I tried finding some YouTube videos and got a little scared when I saw a guy having to muscle up walls and cabinets to get new sheets under them. Seems like a big headache. But I don’t want my wife and kids to fall through the floor or ingest mold spores.
RKBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2019, 01:07 PM   #2

Cut out a section. Feel around to find the joists and continue cutting back to them. Check the joists, replace as necessary, built the floor back.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:43 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That looks like a big area, hard to tell in the picture, does it go right back into the toilet? kinda looks like it. You still have to figure out what caused the rot, I wouldn't be ripping it all out and replacing without fixing the original problem.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Wilf View Post
That looks like a big area, hard to tell in the picture, does it go right back into the toilet? kinda looks like it. You still have to figure out what caused the rot, I wouldn't be ripping it all out and replacing without fixing the original problem.

Looks like I’ll be grabing a hose and spray it till I find water penetrating somewhere.

Took out the bed and the carpet and it’s was way worse. Off to the right of the original picture. Seems to then go up the bottom of the wall a bit.

Starting to get a little nervous
Old 05-29-2019, 04:35 PM   #5

Yep, you will need to replace all the spongy flooring.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:14 PM   #6

Feel your corners, around windows, and where the wall meets the ceiling and see if you find any more soft spots. Water travels and my guess would be you are getting intrusion in a seem or around a fixture like a window.

Good luck!
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:31 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBA View Post
Looks like I’ll be grabing a hose and spray it till I find water penetrating somewhere.

Took out the bed and the carpet and it’s was way worse. Off to the right of the original picture. Seems to then go up the bottom of the wall a bit.

Starting to get a little nervous
That “might” help most likely not, unless it’s pooring in, but that would be a pretty obvious visual separation somewhere, takes a some time with seapage for flooring to go. Most likely a seal, window, roof trim, vent, or a leak in plumbing, but if your not hearing the water pump cycle most likely not that. As stated above water can and will travel in weird directions, look for softest spots on the bottom of the walls and go from there. If the wall seem ok, check toilet base seal, shower drain fitting, sink drain fitting... have to think like water...

Been there done that, but on a TC.

Good luck.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:13 AM   #8

Windows need to be taken out and resealed.

Some RV places have a leak seat test machine. Worth the cost to find the source of the leak. UTube has a video on how to remove windows. Line with butyl tape/reinstall and use Lexel caulk on the exterior of the window.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:32 AM   #9

That's a huge leak that has been ignored for a long time. Unless you really like projects, this would actually be a "don't buy this one" camper. Obviously your past that point. It my be very hard to find the source. How it was sitting when parked and ignored can greatly affect where it came from and can easily leave you hinting. You need to remove the dinette. Look for rusty staples and soft spots in the walls and ceiling. Look for water coming from under the walls. And the potty does look like a possible source. It's fixable but it's going to be a pretty good project.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:55 AM   #10

I would be up on the roof checking for damage.
Is there an AC unit on the roof? Maybe leaking around it or even a vent may have been left open.
Is there evidence of a roof leak in the ceiling anywhere?
Somewhere there is a major leak. You need to find and repair it before starting repairs. Anything which looks like it has had water damage should be replaced or you risk mold forming.
Lynn
Old 05-30-2019, 06:38 AM   #11

There's a good chance the line came loose going to the potty and it was left unattended to drip/leak for awhile. It happens.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:33 AM   #12

I haven’t gotten to do anything since posting. But it appears that there was a leak at the entrance door. I did t notice any signs of water on the ceiling. When I bought it the guy said the previous owner had a leak on the front and recaulked the roof seem. I don’t see any signs of water inside the front. I haven’t torn up towards the bathroom yet so there’s a good chance that you guys are right with toilet leaking
Old 06-01-2019, 12:33 PM   #13

So this wasn’t what I was hoping to be doing. But tearing a bunch out. The 1/8 inch on the bottom was rotted as well. I think it rotted from bottom up as a bunch of the seams of that lining on the bottom were broken away.

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	438.6 KB
ID:	248161
Attachment 1

Does anyone know what this lining is called or where to get it??

Tags
floor