Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2021, 09:38 AM   #1

Unhappy New Trailer and Dented Frame

Ugh! I got a new camper and it was sitting at Camping World while I was waiting to be able to get it. I assume they were moving it around and the frame was dented. I didnt realize until I got home and was tightening up the propane tank cover as its right below there.
You can see the scrap leading to the dent and by the looks of it, I assume their RV movers are yellow.
How bad is it? I also assume this is why the WD bar isn't sitting right.

TIA!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dent2.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	325946   Click image for larger version

Name:	dent1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	325947  

Click image for larger version

Name:	WD bar.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	325948  
abandonhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2021, 09:42 AM   #2

Take it back !!

You should not accept that, damaged that way. The tongue is the highest stress point of the chassis.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:49 AM   #3

That would be the plan, but I assume that they are going to make the argument that I took it off the lot and there is no proof it happened there. I tried contacting them, but they haven't gotten back to me yet
Old 04-22-2021, 09:52 AM   #4

You'll need someone to visit them to photograph their "Tug" in action. Good luck!!!
Old 04-22-2021, 11:21 AM   #5

At work we use a forklift to move trailers around and that looks exactly like the damage our only bumper pull got while being moved around the yard. I would bet that frame is bent. Our sundowner aluminum flatbed was totalled because of it. The frame was bent as well as dented. Id stop by without it and see what exactly they use to move trailers and see if this is the case so they cant deny it.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by abandonhope View Post
That would be the plan, but I assume that they are going to make the argument that I took it off the lot and there is no proof it happened there. I tried contacting them, but they haven't gotten back to me yet
Have them explain how you could have done that damage.

Insist it had to be them.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
At work we use a forklift to move trailers around and that looks exactly like the damage our only bumper pull got while being moved around the yard. I would bet that frame is bent. Our sundowner aluminum flatbed was totalled because of it. The frame was bent as well as dented. Id stop by without it and see what exactly they use to move trailers and see if this is the case so they cant deny it.
When we were waiting for someone who blocked us in, we got to watch how they move the trailers. Its a forklift looking machine but it had a long "arm" and ball at the end. they drive up to the receiver, the arm lifts a little and they drive off backwards. Based on the fact that its a scrap with a dent and it had been in my driveway for 30 minutes max, I am 99.999999% certain that it happened there and it wasn't the result of my travels or parking.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by abandonhope View Post
When we were waiting for someone who blocked us in, we got to watch how they move the trailers. Its a forklift looking machine but it had a long "arm" and ball at the end. they drive up to the receiver, the arm lifts a little and they drive off backwards. Based on the fact that its a scrap with a dent and it had been in my driveway for 30 minutes max, I am 99.999999% certain that it happened there and it wasn't the result of my travels or parking.
Heck, if the paint on it matches their mover this oughta be pretty easy for you. I would be afraid of the frame being bent for sure, and not just what we can see.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:40 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would take it back today. and use the 3 day rule to cancel the contract.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:43 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
Yep. That's a deal breaker.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
Unfortunately, I am outside the 3 days. I bought it and signed all the paperwork and they held it for about 3 weeks while I waited for storage to open up. I am guessing it happened during that time period when they moved it around their lot after doing my hitch work.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:17 PM   #12

I don't know what regulations apply to private use travel trailers but damage to the frame of a school bus and possibly all Commercial Motor Vehicles like that render it non-roadworthy.
[emoji40]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:45 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I am an insurance adjuster by trade and if you had it a couple months and did it yourself we would total it. We just don't do frame repairs on TT. To much liability.

Get back to them quickly. That is obvious lot damage. A reputable dealer would not want that kind of story getting around. It could put them out of business
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:54 PM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
I would also consider contacting your insurance company without delay as they have an interest in making sure the repair costs are assigned to the responsible party (CW in this case) who caused the damage (search on "subrogation" for more details).
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame, trailer