RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2020, 06:54 PM   #1

New trailer-Disaster Manufacturer Warranty?

On June 16. 2020 my wife and I picked up our new 17' Casita Freedom Deluxe travel trailer from the Casite manufacturing center in Rice, Texas. We were provided no "walk through" instructions (do to Covid 10 distancing instructions), only being providerd with a CD that was supposed to have all the information we needed. We immediately left on a long planned six to seven week trip to the midwest and Yellowstone. Being long time campers/RVers (over 50 years) we knew enough to be comfortable. As we traveled we tries out all the systems we had ordered for the trailer. Several typical problems. TV wouldn't operate, so no way to view the CD on the operation systems. They forgot to include the TV instruction manual, but later sent it to us.

Three weeks into our trip, we stopped for night at a CG about 5:30 p.m. No wind, quiet evening. Put out awning carefully as explained in owner's manual. Partially out, I dropped the legs and went inside to get my long nails to hold down the legs. Crash, the awning fell completely off the roof. I was almost out the door and just got lucky it didn't hit me. Immediately emailed manufacturer for help. Called with no answer. Strapped the awning to the TV, cut the trip short and headed back to NC. No answer for two weeks. Finally I heard from the service department (they had been closed) and told them my story. They said to get several repair estimates. After several more days they got back to me by email (forget the estimates), then said: quote " nobody here has ever seen this happen, yes winds have blown them off, rain has broken them and or ripped them however just sitting open this wold (sp) not have done that. We have been installing these mounts and this system since the early 90s and never have experienced any problems of this nature" Contact your insurance company!

I did contact insurance company and was contacted by an adjuster. However he has been called to LA for hurricane assessment and he has contacted me to view the damage now that he is available (due here 9/29/2020). In the meantime I am stuck with a great new trailer that I can't use due to the rivet holes in the roof. Need to leave them for adjuster to view.

I have photos of the awning bracket with the rivets showing. No indication the pop rivets ever expanded. Company would not pay for repair, even without viewing. Can't take the trailer back to Texas for their viewing.
Have had good comments on other forums and many recommended I provide this information on other sites. Pictures are available on
Fiberglass RV .com "Awning fell off new 17' fiberglass unit-Advice"

Your comments please! Thanks in advance for looking and listening. It helps our peace of mind. Love the trailer, but warranty service stinks.

P.S. We are going to temporarily patch the roof holes after the adjuster leaves and then take a long delayed 2nd trip with our Casita.
Will proceed with repairs when we get back.
Flyrodjoe
flyrodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2020, 07:32 PM   #2

If there is any way that you can, I think you should go back to Casita and have them look at it. We looked at their trailers when we downsized but just couldn't make one that small work for us but they do have an admirable reputation of support.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:39 PM   #3

In my opinion I would take it back to the factory!! This shouldnít be any insurance deal. But thatís my opinion
SSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:45 AM   #4

Why didn't you take it home and go through everything before you left on such a long trip? To me, that was your first and biggest mistake. It would have taken just moments to pull the awing out and find it. I would have done all that in the parking lot before taking it anywhere.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:56 AM   #5

A little late now but I have to agree with Charliez!

Anyway that sure is a crappy response from Casita.

Can you post the pics?
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:19 AM   #6

There's not much to mounting an awning. A couple of good lag screws and some sealant just might save you a lot of driving and aggravation. If you stay at this long enough you'll figure out that even though you have a warranty, it's easier and in most cases better in the long run to just take care of it yourself. It's just the way it is. You can potentially end up leaving your TT at the dealer for months just to get one little piece of trim tacked back in place when you could have nailed it back in seconds yourself.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:08 AM   #7

New trailer-Diaster Manufacturer Warranty?

So, they are open to sell, but not open to service?

But I agree, itís a wild world out there, one must learn to adapt, and move on.

We wonder why our Insurance rates keep going up. This is not a Insurance claim, this a warranty claim. Have it repaired, and send the bill to the manufacturer.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:58 PM   #8

"Have it repaired, and send the bill to the manufacturer."

And have them laugh it right into the trash. There is a reason why they have the warranty process the way that it is - moronic and lengthy - and that is exactly what is being experienced: The desire to just fix it yourself and NOT bother them after they slapped something halfway-together and sent it out the door.

The entire RV manufacturing industry has been like this for over a decade now, quality is out the window (if that window is even attached!) when a unit is taken from frame to finished in a bit over 4 hours. There just isn't time to do things right.

Good, fast, cheap. (Manufacturers only chose fast)
Old 09-29-2020, 07:36 PM   #9

Update about awning.

Thanks for the comments. Will try to respond to all comments.

Several reasons why we didn't take the trailer home and check it out.

1. We have over 50 years experience with travel trailers of many types and sizes.
2. It was over 850 miles home and then we would have to travel the same distance to our vacation jumping off point in S.D.
3. We spent the first two days in a campground only 30+ miles from the manufacturers plant and office. This stop was specifically taken to shake down all systems (including the awning). We did not examine the awning's attachement to the trailer however!
4. We had used the awning several more times over the two weeks prior to its falling off, no signs of any problems.

The adjuster came today but we have to wait a week or two for the written report. The insurance claim is for the purpose of having documentation of the cause of damage from a qualified second party. This (I hope) will add more evidence of manufacturing defects and the possibility of the manufacturer (CASITA) agreeing to pay for repairs.

I intend on getting the awning reinstalled properly as soon as I can provide complete documentation with my repair bill.

Again thanks for the info, I appreciate all the comments.
Flyrodjoe
North Carolina.
flyrodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:47 PM   #10

Seems like it all depends what the mounting screws were driven into. Just through the siding and missed the framing? Manufacturer defect. Into framing and got pulled out? (can't imagine how this would happen other than wind, etc.) - insurance claim.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, warranty