Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2018, 09:36 PM   #1

New Travel Trailer

We are just purchasing a Grand Design 285 BHTS travel trailer.

The trailer is fairly loaded but we have added a camera and an equaliser 4 point hitch, our truck is a Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel crew cab short bed, single wheel and 4wd.

I have never owned a travel trailer but have owned many trailers both tag along and goosenecks of varying weights up to 40' long so I am comfortable towing & backing. I did own a class A previously but said never again after all the issues.

Does anybody have any tips or advice regarding travel trailers or RV's in general.

Thanks

Nick
BriarPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2018, 09:56 PM   #2

I’d highly suggest getting a surge protector. They make two different kinds, permanently installed, or a plug in at the pole. Progressive industries makes a good one.
C2tuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:07 PM   #3

Thanks

I had not thought of that but should have after living in NC & the house getting struck.

Nick
Old 04-03-2018, 07:40 AM   #4

I agree with surge protector. Also might want to add tire pressure monitors. We also bought a new Grand Design travel trailer about 6 weeks ago.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:53 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2tuck View Post
I’d highly suggest getting a surge protector. They make two different kinds, permanently installed, or a plug in at the pole. Progressive industries makes a good one.
I will second that and suggest the Progressive INdustries HW-50(30)c (the number depends on if yours is a 50 or 30 amp trailer)

Also a water pressure regulator. Watts or Zurin 3/4" with hose adapters. this goes at the park end of yoru water hose.

A decent high flow water filter. Even if it's just activated charcoal can improve taste of water in many Campgrounds.. Mine is a piect of CPVC pipe 3" (I recommend 2") threaded adapter in one end, reducers in teh other. Where the big pipe meets the reducer I installed some Stainless steel shower drains cut to fit. Reducers down to hose fittings.

Unscrew the threaded fitting, stuff with some Filter Floss (Pet fish isle at yoru local Pet store) then a pint of Activated charcoal (The basic stuff not the fancy Algicide stuff) from the same isle, then a little bit more floos, and screw the cap on (Cap also has a shower drain) and reduce it down to garden hose. For me. that's enough and yes it does imporve the taste in most campgrounds at least.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:02 AM   #6

Welcome and congrats on the new camper.

replace the China bombs (if equipped) with quality tires. Most travel trailers come with the cheapest tires that the manufacture can find. If a tire blows on a travel trailer it can remove body work, tanks and plumbing.

Learn about converters (battery charger) and smart converters and find out what your TT has ( I suspect a Grand design comes with a high quality smart converter) If you dont have a smart converter your TT will severely overcharge the batteries and boil the electrolyte out of them causing frequent battery replacement.

Have you roof inspected and re caulked at least yearly or learn to do it yourself. Roof failures are very common, very expensive and fairly easy to avoid.
zebrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:26 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies. I have the water filter & pressure regulator already but had not thought about the surge or tires.

The roof makes sense and I already do that with some cargo trailers I own.

I had not thought about the tires but maybe I was expecting better, I have not collected the trailer yet so I may be lucky.

Rtbroke what do you think of the Grand Design so far?
Old 04-03-2018, 05:30 PM   #8

We bought the Imagine MK2670. So far we like it. We haven't had a chance to camp yet, our Ohio weather hasn't allowed us to do that yet. Snow yesterday, 60 degrees today with heavy rain, chance of more snow on and off the rest of the week. Other than that the trailer seems to be well made and has some nice features. Also seems to tow really good. Good luck with your new trailer BriarPatch.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarPatch View Post
Thanks for the replies. I have the water filter & pressure regulator already but had not thought about the surge or tires.

The roof makes sense and I already do that with some cargo trailers I own.

I had not thought about the tires but maybe I was expecting better, I have not collected the trailer yet so I may be lucky.

Rtbroke what do you think of the Grand Design so far?

I also just switch to GD and love it so far. We went with a Solitude 379fls-r.

I think all GD’s come with Westlake tires from the factory. I didn’t bother changing mine as I don’t pull it very often, I use it as a home away from home for work, but will go with Goodyear’s when the time comes.

Watch out for the axle seals if it has lippert axles, the dexters are better. Everyone raves about putting disc brakes on them too and may be worth the cost if you plan on towing it cross country.
C2tuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:00 PM   #10

We just bought a 2800bh and like it so far only camped in it one weekend. We are going camping this weekend with rain chances so I guess we'll see how it does.
lcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:15 PM   #11
RPr

I can tell you that a lot depends on how you camp. I still have some "can't live without" items I never opened.

Typically a surge protector, water regulator and wheel chocks are a good start. Most of what you need is at the Wal-Mart in the next town. I assume you have a fresh water hose and spare tire.

RVing is a lot of fun but we all do it differently and how we do it changes over time.

Good luck
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer