Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2016, 10:50 PM   #1

New Travel Trailer is Home!!!

Picked up our new Winnebago Minnie Plus 27bhss this morning in Jacksonville, FL. 7 hr drive home, and I'm exhausted! This was my first time ever pulling a travel trailer. Pulled pretty well. Tractor trailers passing made me pucker up a few times. That's going to take some getting used to. Otherwise, kept it on cruise at 60-62 and took it easy. I did all the math and everything said my F150 w/ 5.0v8 and 3.55 could pull it. I still didn't believe it fully. But, it pulled really well today. Revs like hell going up hills, but I've been told to expect that. Transmission temp stayed between 197-200 the whole way. Other than a little trail wagging the dog when big rigs passed, it went smoothly. I'm going to adjust the Equal-i-zer a little more and keep practicing. Thank you to everyone who's helped me preparing to buy the trailer. I'm sure I'll have 1000 more questions now that I have it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	144949  
Mayberry32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2016, 07:20 AM   #2

Glad to see you got it home ok, that first pull home is a little white knuckled experience. I just did the same about 2 weeks ago although I only had to drive about 30 miles.

I have a question for you...about your towing experience. I also have an F150 with 5.0L engine.
Did you keep your transmission in the Tow/Haul mode the whole time?
Did you leave all 6 gears available or did you lock out 6th gear?
Krazy Kajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Kajun View Post
Glad to see you got it home ok, that first pull home is a little white knuckled experience. I just did the same about 2 weeks ago although I only had to drive about 30 miles.

I have a question for you...about your towing experience. I also have an F150 with 5.0L engine.
Did you keep your transmission in the Tow/Haul mode the whole time?
Did you leave all 6 gears available or did you lock out 6th gear?
I did keep in tow/haul the entire time. From what I have seen, it just assists with engine braking and gear shifts.

I didn't see the need to lock out 6th gear yesterday, but I was coming from north FL to north GA. So, mostly pretty flat and some rolling hills. In the mountains, I think locking out 6th will be my choice. Mainly because of having to downshift when climbing. I was dropping into 3rd gear climbing hills with cruise control set to 60. If you are in more hilly territory, less gear work to drop from 5th than 6th. Also assists in engine braking going downhill, from what saw last night. So, long answer to your question....I think it depends on the terrain you are driving in.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:02 AM   #4

I only lock out 6th going into head winds. better gas mileage and less shifting.

not that towing gets gas mileage.

Enjoy your New portable Home.

currently in South Texas.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:55 AM   #5

Congratulations on the new rig. That's a nice setup. Towing takes a little getting use to. Keep the speed down and you'll be just fine. I just set my F-150 in Tow/haul mode and let the transmission do its job. The engine revs pulling a steep grade but that where the torque band is.

Safe travels.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands Bob View Post
Congratulations on the new rig. That's a nice setup. Towing takes a little getting use to. Keep the speed down and you'll be just fine. I just set my F-150 in Tow/haul mode and let the transmission do its job. The engine revs pulling a steep grade but that where the torque band is.

Safe travels.
@BadlandsBob : Thank you for all your help and advice. You've been very helpful. I want to take the wife and kids out somewhere in the next few weekends, but these wildfires a,l across N GA, NC and Tennessee have a burn ban in effect for everywhere I look. I understand the need, and I'm not complaining about that. But, I want us to take our first trip somewhere we can have a campfire. Any ideas of an awesome state park where would not have the burn ban, even if we have to pull it over to W GA, Chattanooga or northern Alabama?
Old 11-24-2016, 06:44 AM   #7

I was up at Tugaloo State Park two weeks ago and they did not have a burn ban at the time. That's up on Lake Hartwell near Lavonia. You may want to give them a call and see if anything has changed. Most of the mountainous state parks have had a burn ban for several months.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:55 AM   #8

If you purchased your Equalizer with your trailer, do double check the measurements. My experience with dealers is they eyeball it and don't go through the whole procedure for set up. It's easy, but takes a bit of time. Make sure you have adequate weight on the front axle of your truck.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:02 PM   #9

Agree 100%. The dealership guy did eyeball it and said something to the effect of "You can over think anything if you try hard enough". I still broke it my measuring tape and measured wheel wells and the trailer front and back. It was pretty level and towed well, but I am still taking it to a local RV shop where I've gotten to know the owner and let him check over the setup and adjust anywhere it is needed.

Tags
travel trailer, travel