Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2022, 08:11 PM   #1

New travel trailer recommendations

Not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes. Planning on buying a new Ford F150, V8, 4x4 truck and a new travel trailer. I’m not up to speed on good brands or brands/models to avoid. I’m looking for a 20-24ft trailer non 5th wheel. Budget is about $$35,000 - $$39,000.

Not planning on epic journeys across the US or camping for more than 2 weeks at a time if that matters. Can I get some recommendations on some models to look at that would pull well on the Ford F150?
Kunamatata is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2022, 09:12 AM   #2

First and foremost, find the floor plan you like.
All the basic manufacturers have very similar floor plans and construction methods.
A Jayco built on one day can vary in quality with one built the next day. You have to satisfy yourself that the particular one you are looking at is up to snuff.
If you want to spend more money in pursuit of better quality, maybe Lance and Airstream would be choices.
Kipkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:39 AM   #3

I would avoid Lance for the time being. They’re undergoing some issues at the moment.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:59 AM   #4

there are lots of choices out there and "best" will depend on layout and budget as well as usage. Arctic Fox, Airstream, Nash, Lance, Bigfoot, Casita, etc. are all good brands. What I would suggest is to keep as close to 6,000 lbs GVWR (not dry weight) and 25' OAL if at all possible - with the right spec you might be able to increase that a bit, but personally I wouldn't go over 7,000 lbs GVWR and 27' OAL in any case.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 03-21-2022, 03:46 PM   #5

Agree Lance is having issues with all the changes they’ve made to the 2022 models. But a used 2017.5 thru 2021 with the NXG BAL frame would make a good choice.

Bigfoot, Casita, Oliver would also make great choices.

It’s not just length, and weight, but overall height, and curved front end can make big differences when towing with a 1/2 ton, especially in strong head winds.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 04:51 PM   #6

Are you traveling as a couple, or a family with 2 or more kids?
The best brands, some of them mentioned, are not within your budget if buying new.
First step, as mentioned is floorplan. Next step is towing. Check what your Ford payload is. Then subtract 12- 15% of the GVWR of any trailer you consider. That will approximate tongue weight. Will the remaining payload be enough for your normal camping load in the truck, including people, pets, gear, etc. if, after all that, you leave yourself 250lbs of available payload, I promise, it will be used up by things like propane, hitch, etc.

The best brands may not meet your needs, weight-wise, and money-wise. You can be happy with a lesser brand because you won’t be using it all the time. It’s not fair to quote brands to avoid. But if you are consistent in your comparison of features, like structure, build quality, insulation, roof, tankage, tires and suspension, you’ll be able to start eliminating brands and models very quickly.
Old 03-21-2022, 05:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunamatata View Post
Not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes. Planning on buying a new Ford F150, V8, 4x4 truck and a new travel trailer. I’m not up to speed on good brands or brands/models to avoid. I’m looking for a 20-24ft trailer non 5th wheel. Budget is about $$35,000 - $$39,000.

Not planning on epic journeys across the US or camping for more than 2 weeks at a time if that matters. Can I get some recommendations on some models to look at that would pull well on the Ford F150?

Obviously, many of you are not really reading Kunamata’s post. He has a budget and none of the brands with the exception of Jayco will be within that budget, unless you want a well used one. Grand Design Imagine and Imagine XLS are good as are Rockwoods.
I have a 2022 Rockwood Ultralite 2706ws and have found no issues so far. I tow it with a 2021 F150 Powerboost. I am at the payload limit (1586#) of my truck.
For me, that TT is the maximum weight that I would ever pull with my truck. Good luck.
Molfpedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 05:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molfpedal View Post
Obviously, many of you are not really reading Kunamata’s post. He has a budget and none of the brands with the exception of Jayco will be within that budget, unless you want a well used one. Grand Design Imagine and Imagine XLS are good as are Rockwoods.
I have a 2022 Rockwood Ultralite 2706ws and have found no issues so far. I tow it with a 2021 F150 Powerboost. I am at the payload limit (1586#) of my truck.
For me, that TT is the maximum weight that I would ever pull with my truck. Good luck.

As bnuekum mentions the 5 or 6 year old Lances can be had for that money. I’d do that before just about any new one in that price range.
Old 03-21-2022, 09:18 PM   #9

The new F150 should be able to pull pretty much anything in that size camper. The 2.7L is just under 6k for towing on some models. Other engines are much higher.

As for models of trailer, it would be best to know your prefered floor plan. If you need bunks for kids vs just a trailer for 1 or 2 people. That can make a difference in price or suggestions.
Duster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:54 PM   #10

The 5.0 V8 is not the best towing engine for an F150. You need the 3.5 Ecoboost with Max Tow package and if you want the ultimate 1/2 ton tow pickup, get the Heavy Duty Payload package with it.
Old 03-22-2022, 06:45 AM   #11

With minimal experience....

Don't buy new!

Buying used will give you many more options in your price range. I have purchased two used Lance TT and found both excellent purchases for my needs. Contrary to what a few have said about the quality of Lance these days they have a way better than average product when compared to any and all RV's.

As mentioned above I agree with the weight limit of 6k pounds gross for you half ton truck. Given you only pull a TT maybe 5% of the time you use your truck buy one that is correct for the remainder 95% you drive it. I have a 1/2 ton Chev duramax that does 24+mpg in town, that is so much better than 17-19 mpg of others.

Lastly, If you are not up for a valid per buy inspection find someone who is.
Ivins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 07:41 AM   #12

Hope you aren't on a tight schedule, you have alot to learn and mistakes will cost money. First off, do not buy new. Unless you buy an airstream or other brand out of your budget they depreciate a lot. Find a private party with a 5 yr old unit, pay someone to do the inspection or learn all about the systems and structures that fail.
A pickup is the right tow vehicle, but again new is brutal on the finances and will depreciate immediately.
Keep reading and asking questions, this can be a helpful source of info.
MCCOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 05:33 AM   #13

I'll go along with the other buy used recommendations and add that you should look for a private party sale. I'd also suggest you find out what your GCVWR is. Run your truck over a scale loaded the way you think you will travel. Subtract that number from the GCVWR and you'll have the Max trailer weight. If possible keep your trailer weight at 80% of its maximum weight. Happy travels.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 08:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtCamper View Post
I'll go along with the other buy used recommendations and add that you should look for a private party sale. I'd also suggest you find out what your GCVWR is. Run your truck over a scale loaded the way you think you will travel. Subtract that number from the GCVWR and you'll have the Max trailer weight. If possible keep your trailer weight at 80% of its maximum weight. Happy travels.
Carry nothing in the trailer?

You list that you have an AF 27-5L. GVRW for that is 13600. 80% of that is 10,808, a difference of 2792. AF lists a net carry capacity of 2665.

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer