Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2022, 07:21 PM   #1

New travel trailer - tires

We just bought a travel trailer — 2022 Crossroads Sunset Trails 253RB. It is equipped w/Hi Spec Oracle ST 205/75 R 14 tires. I’ve been reading a lot of horror stories about travel tire blow outs. These tires are made in Indiana, but should I consider replacement tires? We log about 5,000 miles a year. What think you?
dgood7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2022, 07:30 PM   #2

My advice is if you are uncomfortable with the tires on your trailer, replace them. If you are going to worry about a tire failure. You will not have a pleasant trip. Just my .02 cent worth. Keep on rolling
1932rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:34 PM   #3

I wouldn't be too concerned with new trailer/new tires

Those 14" tires are 'D' rated (2040# at 65psi)
Trailer has a 7600 GVWR so plenty of tire (dual axle/4 tires---8160# capacity)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:59 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The goodyear endurance tires are outstanding. Goodyear had to repair their reputation after the marathon tires and over engineered the endurance.

But trailer tires in general get a bad reputation. The tires are designed to get abused, but the tire life is shortened by overloading, under inflating, and or going over 65 mph.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:13 PM   #5

Fwiw...
I put the same lt tires on my tt as I do my car trailer .
mickeybitsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 09:42 PM   #6

New, quality trailer tires will cost you about $450-600 for the set. One blow-out can cost thousands in trailer body damage. This doesn't count the down time. My opinion - put the highest quality tire you can afford. There are many ways to save money while using your RV. Tires are not one of them.
Consider the new tire purchase as added insurance...peace of mind has a lot of value .
I'd recommend Goodyear Endurance.
Rock-N-Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:38 AM   #7

I have been eying that trailer as a possible upgrade to the one we have now. how do you like it so far? any surprises or quirks you might want to pass on? what do you tow it with.
thanx
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

^^^^This.

Check the date code on the tires.
If they're getting close to 3 years old I would think about getting some new tires.

Keep the cruise on 60 mph.
Old 05-26-2022, 10:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgood7 View Post
We just bought a travel trailer — 2022 Crossroads Sunset Trails 253RB. It is equipped w/Hi Spec Oracle ST 205/75 R 14 tires. I’ve been reading a lot of horror stories about travel tire blow outs. These tires are made in Indiana, but should I consider replacement tires? We log about 5,000 miles a year. What think you?
From the Hi Spec web site....... HiSpec operates in both the USA and Asia with the most advanced production design, development and manufacturing capabilities in the industry.

Designed in Indiana, made in China, you can bet on it. If you really want to know where a tire is made, there is a complete list of every DOT tire manufacturing facility in the world and the codes for them, that you find on the tire sidewall.

https://www.wfirm.com/complete-list-...t-plant-codes/

I would put Goodyear Endurance ST tires on the trailer if you have any concerns.

Charles
Old 05-28-2022, 09:21 AM   #10

Quote:
We log about 5,000 miles a year. What think you?
If it was me I would run them the first year at 5000 miles then sell them on Craigslist/etc.
I don't use small size 14"/15" ST tires but from hanging out on several rv and haulers/contractors forums the only ST tires I would use would be Providers....Endurance...Carlisle HD.
Those tree seem to have less issues than the rest of the ST tire field.

Many like the made in the USA Endurance. However with only 8/32" of tread depth many reports of tread bars showing at 20k-22k miles of service. Not the best idea for those of us who pull 10k+ miles per year....but works fine for those that don't tow that many miles.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 07:41 AM   #11

Whether you replace the tires or not you should get a tire monitoring system. The best tires in the world will go flat if they hit a road hazard. The cost of a flat that took you three minutes to discover and pull over can be in the thousands of dollars due to flailing tire parts. A tpms is cheap insurance and will tell you your tire pressures now, not the last time you stopped and checked them. Get a system that does not need the wheels turning to wake the sensors up. Happy Camping!
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 12:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

Tires and camper are news I would agree with old biscuit probably not a problem for a little while
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 02:54 PM   #13

I would suggest upgrading to Maxxis M8008 tires , they sell a load range D tire that will serve you well. I have had 3 set of these tires on my enclosed snowmobile trailer. I run them 5 years and swap them out , zero failers and I dont drive slow.

Tags
tire, tires, trailer, travel, travel trailer