Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2019, 09:27 PM   #1

New TT 2 years old

We are in the early stage of researching and looking at TT models. We toured a brand new 2018 Winnebago Minnie 2500RL that has bee sitting on the dealers lot since November 2017. My concern is the TT has sat through all types of weather and no regular maintenance. Should that be a concern? When I mentioned it to the dealer he said "the screws or bolts could get rust" but offered no other explanation. I was concerned about water leaks and general wear and tear fro the weather.

After reading through a previous thread on buying a used trailer for the first TT it made a lot of sense until we can really figure out what works for us. We have never bought an RV before and what would the difference be between a TT sitting on a lot for 2 years vs. buying used?

Thanks for your response, Wendy
GirlontheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2019, 09:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlontheGo View Post
We are in the early stage of researching and looking at TT models. We toured a brand new 2018 Winnebago Minnie 2500RL that has bee sitting on the dealers lot since November 2017. My concern is the TT has sat through all types of weather and no regular maintenance. Should that be a concern? When I mentioned it to the dealer he said "the screws or bolts could get rust" but offered no other explanation. I was concerned about water leaks and general wear and tear fro the weather.

After reading through a previous thread on buying a used trailer for the first TT it made a lot of sense until we can really figure out what works for us. We have never bought an RV before and what would the difference be between a TT sitting on a lot for 2 years vs. buying used?

Thanks for your response, Wendy
price probably, you should shop for a used unit. shop a lot there are some Junker's out there but there are some real good deals also. you can usually get a good buy on one 3-4 years old or even 2-3. these will already have all the warranty work done and other little problems fixed
Jay D..
Jay D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:16 PM   #3

The price will be higher on the dealers lot but then again it hasn't been used. Make sure to check the title to see that it hasn't been registered before (sold and returned). Water leaks may not be an issue because it hasn't been over the road and bouncing up and down loosening things up BUT you have to look. You should be able to get at least 30-35 % off list price. If you can't don't buy it. Never let them know how much you want the unit! This is their game and they are experts at it. ALWAYS be willing to walk out if you don't get what you want. There will always be another "good deal" around the corner. No matter what they say, there will always be another TT to look at somewhere.
Water leaks are a big issue in any TT. If you decide to look at used ones do learn how to look for evidence of leaks. Read up here. Lots of info in previous threads. You gotta know what you are looking for.
NEVER take anyone's word on the condition of any used TT (or RV for that matter, NEVER NEVER NEVER!) If you don't know what to look for hire someone OUTSIDE of the dealership to look it over for you. Say a mobile RV repair company.
Take your time and be careful. You'll be rewarded in the end.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:23 PM   #4

It's last year's model, and next year models are about to roll out, if they haven't already. Offer half of what he's asking for it. That 2018 might be new, but it's going to be a hard sell for them. You might be able to get a really good deal just to get it off their lot.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:26 PM   #5

We did where you're at. What I mean is we bought new from a dealer what had sat on their lot for two years. We purchased a 2016 Jayco Jayfeather X254 in February 2018. The MSRP was $26,157. We paid $16,200 plus tax and fees. The dealer threw in a wdh and a few other goodies to go with it (I think they wanted it gone). Most of the dates on the items we found in the trailer suggested a Nov. 2015 to Jan. 2016 assembly timeframe. The tires were even "newer" with a date code of the last week of Nov. 2015.

We've been very happy with it. We have around 6,500 miles on it so far. We have another 1,100 mile trip set for Oct. Yes, a few rusty bolts as you said (they had it in a gravel lot in lower central Michigan) but it still had the two year Jayco warranty with the purchase (which will expire in Feb. 2020).

We have had a few issues (leaky toilet, bubble under linoleum) but all under warranty and no dollars out of the pocket (except to get to/from the dealer for the work).

Perhaps we did better than expected but having lots of fun without much alarm.
Stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:31 PM   #6

I would have no problem with buying it for the right price. 35 to 40 percent off of MSRP would be a good deal.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:55 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
How much is that trailer on the used market. Offer that. Then wonder why it hasn't sold. Get a friend that knows RV's to do a PDI with you. If it doesn't pass, no sale.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:40 AM   #8

I see a lot of good advice posted above. You also seem to have done substantial research.

The difference between an old New TT on the dealers lot and a used 1 to 3 year old TT is the amount of corrections of issues often found after buying a new low cost TT. The previous owner is likely to have corrected all the issues.

Maintenance issues are important, but the design and build issues are often the major problem. Build quality is a crap shoot. Some units are great. Some units are no end of trouble. Tires are good for 5 years. Then replace or have professional inspection periodically. Leaks may show as stains inside cabinets, storage spaces, or soft floor spots.

Good luck on your new adventure.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:17 AM   #9

Yes
If you cant buy a
new, 3,4 year old unit for 50 percent off.
Dont touch it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
It's last year's model, and next year models are about to roll out, if they haven't already. Offer half of what he's asking for it. That 2018 might be new, but it's going to be a hard sell for them. You might be able to get a really good deal just to get it off their lot.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:52 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The question is,,, why has it sat new on the lot for 2 years and not sold.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:56 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Make him a 50% offer to help him cut his losses. If he refuses, tell him it will will make a great playhouse for his grandkids, and walk out.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:07 PM   #12

Agreed, as soon as you drive it off the lot it’s a 2 year old used trailer.
If you like the trailer it could be a chance to get a good deal.
But inspection is key, it should take 4 to 5 hours depending on experience.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlontheGo View Post
We are in the early stage of researching and looking at TT models. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
... Tires are good for 5 years. ...
My understanding is 5 years is the upper limit for ST tires when in use; if sitting they degrade more rapidly. I recall reading they lose something like 10% of the rated carrying capacity per year, even with use.

I would suggest if you go ahead and get this trailer to have the dealer replace the existing tires with some that have a more recent manufacture date, say something within the last three months.

I also suggest you invest in two other items:

1) a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS), and
2) an energy management system (EMS) such as the Progressive Industry (either internal or external).

Both of these items have saved my bacon at one time or another.

Best wishes on your search and negotiations.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:17 PM   #14

To add to my post #5, my comparables to a used two year old unit were coming up $500 to $1,000 cheaper than what I paid for the "new" two year old unit. The gain for me besides brand new was getting two years worth of warranty that did not come with its used counterpart.
Stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote