Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2018, 09:07 AM   #1

New TT refrigerator help

Hi! Leaving tomorrow for our first weekend in the new travel trailer. A bit too far from home (3 hours +/-) for the first time out but it is what it is. :(

I’m so confused on the issue of traveling with the refrigerator running. Some people say absolutely not...use a cooler, then load when you get there (it takes forever for the fridge to get cold enough to fill...?).. Some say run off the battery (won’t the battery die?). Some say run off propane (our fridge is covered by the slide, how do we turn it off and back on when we have to pump gas?). Some run on propane and don’t turn it off (illegal...fire hazard?). As an aside our air temperature will be about 95° plus heat index plus enclosed trailer.

Can anyone give me some insight? I have so many questions but this seems to be one weighing on me this morning!

Thank you thank you!
Natalie
wanderings is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2018, 09:18 AM   #2

The fridge will only run on propane or electric, not the battery. You are right, some refuse to travel with the propane on and suggest any who do are a danger to themselves and others. Some say they have always traveled with propane on and scoff at the idea that it is a danger. You need to make that decision. However, if you plug in at home and the fridge and freezer are nice and cold, and the food is all cold, it is essentially a big cooler. The fridge is insulated so even if you turn it off it will keep things cold for several hours.
DanFromGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:55 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I turn my refrigerator (Norcold 1200 gas/electric) on two days before we leave and it stays on until we arrive back home. Ours takes about 24 hours to cool down.

Have been doing that for 30 years with various RVs.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:03 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Since I always stored the RV's in my side yard, had 30 amp available and my late DW always overbought on food the refer was always on. Always had the gas on in my 50 years of RV'ing with no troubles.
Present rig came as all electric other than the gas cooktop but I replaced it with an induction unit. Not because I'm afraid of gas but just to get a better cooktop.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:20 AM   #5

Yep. Chill it down a day or two before. A bowl of ice set in it will help speed it up. Stock it and go. If I take a long trip I'll run it on propane. If just a couple of hours just don't open it and it will be fine. I have found that if i stuff it completely full it won't do as good. Also it will not make a motor sound or any other sound that you can hear. It won't run on 12 volt but it does need 12 volt for the control. The converter will supply it while plugged in and the batter will supply it while traveling or dry camping. Don't over think it.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:30 AM   #6

I turn fridge (propane)on the day before a trip. Gets to 34 degrees in 12 hrs and load it up. Usually run it on propane the whole trip. In my experience Microwave, Air conditioner and fridge on AC usually will trip 30 amp breaker at campsite!
HRvindeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:31 PM   #7

I turn the icebox on a few days before we leave. We put all the groceries in our home icebox to get everything cold. The day before we leave I'll put everything that's cold in the camper icebox. Don't put room temperature things like cokes in there it will make the temperature go up a little. Put an icebox thermometer in yours and it'll show you when you're in the safe zone. I'll run it on propane while traveling.
lcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:45 PM   #8

Trailer RV propane system has numerous safety features PLUS the propane appliances have safety features also

Excess flow trip devices
Thermal bushings that shutoff propane if they melt from heat
Spring loaded shut off valve
Electronic ignition systems that 'lock out' after 3 attempts

Propane system is safer then the fuel system on the tow vehicles

RVs are 'self contained' and built/designed to be used safely

Food poisoning is more dangerous then running your RV fridge while in transit
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:45 PM   #9

The refrig runs 98% on propane and 2% on the battery to run the controls and light up the 'on' light. It does not use much of either.

Like others, we turn on the fridge the day before we leave.

We travel with the propane turned on and the fridge running. 10 years and thousands of miles. Motorhomes travel with the same refrigerators on.

But I am seeing a move away from the expensive RV refrigs to residential.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:58 AM   #10

Crank it up, get it cold, stock it, and leave it running on the propane. I want a nice, cool, refreshing beverage ready and waiting when I get done with set up. It's made to to do that, roll on and enjoy.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderings View Post
Hi! Leaving tomorrow for our first weekend in the new travel trailer. A bit too far from home (3 hours +/-) for the first time out but it is what it is. :(

I’m so confused on the issue of traveling with the refrigerator running. Some people say absolutely not...use a cooler, then load when you get there (it takes forever for the fridge to get cold enough to fill...?).. Some say run off the battery (won’t the battery die?). Some say run off propane (our fridge is covered by the slide, how do we turn it off and back on when we have to pump gas?). Some run on propane and don’t turn it off (illegal...fire hazard?). As an aside our air temperature will be about 95° plus heat index plus enclosed trailer.

Can anyone give me some insight? I have so many questions but this seems to be one weighing on me this morning!

Thank you thank you!
Natalie
If you are looking for legal advice I wouldn't recommend you seek your answers from online discussion groups.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:52 AM   #12

Not looking for legal advice thanks. Looking for education as someone who hasnt done this before. Thanks though!
Old 05-25-2018, 11:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderings View Post
Not looking for legal advice thanks. Looking for education as someone who hasnt done this before. Thanks though!
Sorry, you had asked if it was illegal?
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:17 PM   #14

We always run ours on propane as we travel.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator