Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2016, 09:31 PM   #15

Study up on GVWR/CVWR /hitch weight/carrying capacity so you make an informed decision on the trailer and tow vehicle.

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2016, 10:44 PM   #16

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On my second trailer and bought both new. I can finance it. I want to be first one to do everything in it - sleep, sit, cook, shower etc. I know what has been done and how it was done.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:13 PM   #17

Jayco Owners Club
I paid under 20k for a brand new Jayflight SLX 264BHW with 2 year warranty.
coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:24 AM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Do all the research you want, then buy the TT you will use the most and will suit your needs that is in the best condition if buying used. Good luck and enjoy the hunt.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:28 PM   #19

I always tell my friends considering an RV: you either need to be handy or have ALOT of disposable income.

I'm on my third RV, this is my first brand new unit. The unit goes 18 weekends per year, plus this year I'm getting a winter seasonal... In other words: my brand new camper (and the loan payment) are getting used every month.

My TT prior to this one required me to totally gut the first 12 feet and rebuild the floor.

That rebuild taught me the exact same lesson many have said in this thread: "I do NOT PREFER a "lite" camper!"
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:41 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrek View Post
Welcome to the forum,

You're pondering a common dilemma. Starting a new hobby that affords your enjoyment of spending quality time with your loved ones. Rv's by any stretch of the imagination are not monetary "investments" but consumable's. Youngsters will remember totally different experiences compared to their parents. We're sure you and DW will arrive at where your budget is most comfortable. Don't forget that your tow vehicle is part of the equation. The large assortment of accoutrements can be never ending as well. It's easy to overlook certain aspects on your first purchase, BH is a good idea. So perhaps it should be a little more forgiving. Don't rule out renting an RV for a sneak preview. You'll know it when you find it.

Boaters have a saying: "It's a hole in the water that I keep pouring money into".
Some of my fondest memories of fishing were actually jigging a mess of little fish in a tiny aluminum jon boat using a sculling paddle, followed by a cheese sandwich in wax paper.
Later a $50k fishing rig, sonar fish finder, graphite rods, fish taking lockjaw, did not foster so many good memories.

Be well.
My first TT was a used 17' in 1968, now up to a 45' DP. Can't say we have had any more fun in the bigger, far more expensive rigs. I think we had the most fun in the 17' Okanagan Type B MH that was a factory reps show unit. New isn't necessarily better, nor is used necessarily worse!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:42 PM   #21

I'm still on my first camper. I bought it used its a 2011 model that I bought in 2013. The one I got was from a young family whose family was growing needed more space. DW and I are both 65. No kids we have a Lite trailer. We do not full time. When winter time comes we like to Hole up at the S&B. I would think used for your first trailer. If you do not know what you're looking for. Then I strongly suggest you take me you take someone along who does know the campers. Knows what to look for and what to avoid. Enjoy the travels and the many experiences you will make with your little ones... Dusty
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:40 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Get what best suits your needs and wants regardless of new or used. Forget the dialogue about learning from the first one. Too many say they have to change because their needs change. If that is the case it does not matter what you buy if your needs change.

If you buy something to "play" with that does not fit your needs you will have to change for sure.

Best thing to do is ditch the salesman and sit for an hour in a unit. Move around, pretend you are trying to watch the game, do a hobby, cook a meal, entertain the kids, and get some rest - all at the same time. If it works - it works.

If it is new so be it. If it is used and in excellent shape - better yet.

But get something and get out there. Everyday you sit and think about it is a day lost.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:10 PM   #23

We buy new because we can't stand the smell of used. The cooking, human, cat, and dog smells are overwhelming. Good luck.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:53 PM   #24

I got very lucky with my toy hauler. It's a used 2008 and in mint condition. I did buy it from a dealer though. I searched and decided what floor plan I wanted, and then searched for the trailer to meet my needs. Took a bit of time searching the internet, and I did travel 10 hours to buy it, but in the end it was well worth it. All the kinks were worked out and it's pretty much been a good RV experience so far!
DTG173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:28 AM   #25

We bought a used starter unit first to see if we would really use it or not. Lots of folks buy an RV, use it several times the first year, a couple of times the second year then let it rot down in the back yard after that. I bought a nice older used unit that I knew I could sell right back if we didn't like it. We used it 3 seasons, then plunked down on a brand new bigger unit based on what we learned from the tripping in the starter unit.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:57 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Do not put too much importance on "Dealer Support"

You can buy new, anywhere, and find warranty repair at a dealer recommended by the factory.

Used, near new, is a viable option, but...if you have a price point...buy the best for the money you can find.

RV's are low quality builds, but, lots of fun, get one, & you will have a ball.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:57 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Used = $$$
New = $$$$$
RV'ing = Priceless

Buying new or used is interdependent. New owners need used purchasers to buy the old unit so they can buy new again. Used owners need new buyers to buy and sell their coach so there is product.

IMO new owners do not really care if they are giving used buyers a "deal". As long as used buyers think they are getting a bargain and the sale is made all is well.