Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2021, 03:36 PM   #1

Question Newbie

I知 sorry for asking questions but I知 a 1st timer with an RV and after researching I知 either confused, nervous, or not understanding
1. I知 towing a 4,000lb camper with a 3.5 liter Toyota Tacoma is this ok
2. Do I need leveling blocks under my stabilizers?
3. My panel says there is 2 gray tanks? I have the water and a black tank on the panel as well
4. I have a 30 amp camper but the campsite that I booked has 50amp service. Do I need a 50-30amp extension adapter?
5. When leaving camp grounds is there a order to dump? Is it black tank 1st middle or last?
Thanks for the help and understanding I知 sure it here will be more questions as I get closer to leaving for the campsite
Andybgood40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2021, 03:58 PM   #2

Will try to answer some of your questions below, but members here can offer better help if you give us a model number for the travel trailer. I assume you have a 2016 or newer Taco since you have the 3.5L V6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybgood40 View Post
I知 sorry for asking questions but I知 a 1st timer with an RV and after researching I知 either confused, nervous, or not understanding

- The Taco should be up to towing that camper, but may be a bit of a dog. Some here will suggest a 3/4 ton or maybe even a 1 ton truck for this application. Of course, the 4,000 pound weight you list is probably the dry weight, if you are hauling water, fresh or waste water, plus, all of other gear you load, your trailer might be significantly heavier. Figure a weight of 5000 pounds against a max towing of 6500, if my memory is correct?

- Not sure of payload on your Taco, probably is around 1400 pounds. If you figure a 600 pound tongue weight, 200 pounds of gear, and 4 people at 150 pounds a piece, you just maxed out your payload.

- I never like to put my stabilizers on the ground without a block underneath them, period. Now, if your stabilizers are actually independent jacks, you should be able to just use one block, if they are stabilizers like mine, you may need to add a block at some sites to help with the leveling.

3. My panel says there is 2 gray tanks? I have the water and a black tank on the panel as well

- I am somewhat surprised you have 2 gray tanks on a smaller size travel trailer, but possible. My trailer has exactly what you have. One gray tank handles the kitchen and bathroom sinks, the other handles the shower. Black tank handles the toilet.

4. I have a 30 amp camper but the campsite that I booked has 50amp service. Do I need a 50-30amp extension adapter?

- I want to say most 50 amp sites will have a breaker box setup for 30 & 50 amp, as well as a traditional 120 volt outlet. Others may be able to better answer this question.

Always good to do your first campout close to something. An outdoor store or place where you can buy the things you forgot or never knew you needed.

5. When leaving camp grounds is there a order to dump? Is it black tank 1st middle or last?

- Always dump black first. If you have a flush line, you can flush some fresh water through to help clean out the black tank. after it is empty, close the black water valve.

- Dump grey tanks last - this will help flush out the sewer line so it is a little less stinky. I have found with my trailer, if I open both grey tanks at the same time, they tend to equalize the level as they are emptying. I am not sure I like that, so I tend to open one, then close, open the other, then once I hear the flow pretty much stop, will open both to insure they empty out.

- Note: The valves for dumping all 3 of my tanks converge at a single point where I hook up the sewer line. Some units have separate lines for various tanks. I will defer to someone who has that setup to give hints on best way to empty the tanks.

- Hint: If you really have 2 gray and one black tank, then you should have 3 different valves to control dumping. That may be one way to track down the number of waste water tanks you have.

Thanks for the help and understanding I知 sure it here will be more questions as I get closer to leaving for the campsite.

- There are some really knowledgeable and experienced people here to learn from, and most RVs enjoy helping a new person learn the ropes and enjoy the activities. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Old 06-30-2021, 05:27 PM   #3

will try to answer some of your questions.

Yes, the Tacoma is ok for 4,000lbs even 5,000lbs

Yes, you need blocks under your stabilizers. Either make some out of 2"x10" boards or buy the yellow or orange big Lego type blocks.

Yes, you will need a 50amp to 30 amp adapter. I would make sure they do not have a 30 amp plug on their RV Electric Pedestal. I don't think I ever saw a stand alone 50amp pedestal.

To dump the black tank here is what I do and why.

I first I dump the gray water but only for a few seconds then I close the gray valve. I do this to get the stinky slingy wet. Then I dump the black tank. After it is dumped and the blank tank valve is open I use the black tank flush. I let that run for 10 or 15 minutes and I will even crimp the hose and release it several times to add pressure to the black tank flush system. I turn the black tank water off then check my black tank level. If not regeristing empty I run the black tank flush again until the black tank reads empty. I shut the black tank valve then I open and drain the rest of the grey tank. The grey water will help clean out the slinky.

If using a dump station I will use this procedure when the dump station is not busy. I am retired.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:42 AM   #4

Towing capacity

Quote:
There is a pair of weight stickers in the door frame of the Tacoma. The stickers show the maximums for that individual vehicle. These number can vary between almost identical Make and Model. Copy them all down.

Actual weights while towing are what matter. Get actual weights while both tow vehicle and trailer are loaded for travel.

I used a CAT scale at a truck stop. It cost $15 each weighing, so $30 for weighing twice. Actual weights must not exceed sticker maximums.

Weigh tow vehicle both with and without the trailer attached. Scale results will show axle weights and total weights or at least tow vehicle and trailer separately. The difference between tow vehicle with and without is the tongue weight.

Tongue weight must be at least 10% of the actual weight of the trailer. This is for stability when towing at highway speeds. 15% would be more stable.

However, for planning purposes You can use trailer maximum gross vehicle weight (MGVW). Most travel trailers are at or near GVW while traveling. Published tongue weights of trailers are not accurate. They always say 10% of gross vehicle weight.

The other planning weight that is usually available is the dry weight or unloaded weight. Actual weight is always higher than dry weight. Trailer sales people almost always cite dry weight. It sells more and bigger trailers.

MGCVW Maximum Gross Combined Vehicle Weight
Total weight of tow vehicle (TV) and travel trailer (TT).
MGVW Maximum Gross Vehicle Weight
Maximum weight of TV or TT. Each has its own individual maximum
MRAW Maximum Rear Axle Weight
MFAW Maximum Front Axle Weight

For safe stable towing and long trouble free equipment life, don't exceed any specified maximums.

Front axle weight of tow vehicle with trailer attached should be close to the same as without trailer attached. Use a weight distribution hitch to raise front axle weight. It shifts weight from rear axle to front axle and to trailer axle.

It is not all that simple, is it.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:11 AM   #5

Your first stop needs to be your Tacoma's owner's manual!

You didn't specify the year or options on your Tacoma so I don't see how anyone can tell you if the Tacoma is up to the task.

Case-in-point: our Tow Vehicle is a 2004 Tacoma Pre-Runner Double-Cab, 3.4L V6.

It has a max towing capacity of only 3500 lbs. (If it had the optional towing package it would be capable of 6000 lbs.)
LikeNo1Else is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 01:42 PM   #6

It says GVWR 5,600lbs I’m Assuming that is the total weight of everything combined
Andybgood40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:13 PM   #7

Hopefully this works, if not, will include a link.

Label Weight Capacity Type Weight Capacity Description
GVWR Gross Vehicle Weight Rating Maximum loaded weight of a vehicle
GCWR Gross Combined Weight Rating Maximum towing weight of a vehicle
GAWR Gross Axle Weight Rating Maximum weight on each vehicle axle
GTW Gross Trailer Weight Total weight of a trailer
TW Tongue Weight Total weight at the coupling point
Curb Weight Curb Weight Total weight of an empty vehicle
Dry Weight Dry Weight Total weight of a vehicle without fluids
Payload Payload Total weight of any cargo and passengers

https://www.curtmfg.com/towing-capacity

Your Taco is probably sitting around 4000 to 4500 pounds curb weight I would guess. Let's say it is 4200 pounds. That should put your payload at 1400 pounds. Payload would include everything you load in the cab, in the bed, and the tongue weight of the trailer.

I know these guys are big on getting weights at a scale, and that is a great way to go. I have never done it, but I tend to use overkill in most of my weight calculations. I designed a frame to support a piece of machinery once and, since I do not have my professional engineering license, I was required to get a PE signoff. After the professional engineer quit laughing, he told me my structure would be there long after the roof on the building had caved in. I understand the building had a small explosion a few years later, nothing was mentioned about replacing my frame.
Old 07-02-2021, 02:25 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
The other guys forgot one important point. This forum exists, in part, to provide each other with the advice that will help us enjoy RVing. No need to apologize for your request.

As for the answers you got from the 登ther guys, they池e spot on.
Old 07-03-2021, 09:17 PM   #9

1) If your Tacoma is equipped with the factory tow package, it should handle your Coleman. You should have a quality weight distribution/sway control hitch and brake controller.
2) I bought a set of 8肺8 yellow pads by Camco that I place under each stabilizer.
4) you値l probably find that there is a 30A receptacle when you hook up at your campsite. You can purchase a 50A to 30A adapter, just in case.
5) when dumping, open the black valve first, let the tank drain completely. Close the valve and open the grey valve. I have a built in black tank flush that I use often when dumping in a campground.
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 01:22 PM   #10

Again, I with drain the gray tank for a few seconds to prime the stinky slinky. Then close the gary valve and open the black tank valve and drain completely. Then I will drain the rest of the gray tank to semi clean out the slinky.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 01:58 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Again, I with drain the gray tank for a few seconds to prime the stinky slinky. Then close the gary valve and open the black tank valve and drain completely. Then I will drain the rest of the gray tank to semi clean out the slinky.
I follow this procedure as well, but my reason is to check for leaks. I'd rather catch a leak with gray water then black.
Old 07-04-2021, 06:15 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the help and understanding I知 sure it here will be more questions as I get closer to leaving for the campsite
Go buy one of these before you even leave home the first time:
https://www.campingworld.com/flush-k...er-drain-flush

or one of these:
https://www.campingworld.com/twist-o...alves-fittings

Then you leave this on the sewer connection so when you take the cap off you will NOT get the little surprise if the valve leaks by on you
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags