Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2015, 06:34 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Newbie ??_Frig

These questions will be coming often and will be pretty basic and maybe even a little...unsmart.

This session will involve the refrigerator and how to use it (power options, etc). We are getting a Rockwood 8329ss, which is on order. We haven't rv'd in years so I am sure that things have changed somewhat, technology wise.

Do most of you load the frig prior to leaving? If so, what powers it originally, is it the TV battery? If you do an overnight quick stop at a rest area or someplace that is not a real campsite (WalMart) do you run off propane or TT battery?

What does one need to do to change over from battery to propane as far as running the frig goes? And what about when you go to shore power - do you have to do anything to the frig to change it from propane to electric?

Probably very rudimentary questions but I am clueless. And, as I said, there will be plenty more of these to come in the near future.

Thanks gang.
mikemc53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2015, 07:09 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome to IRV2, it is my understanding that it is best to precool the fridge at home on shore power then put precooled food in it. we run ours on shore power to cool it down then switch to propane. Should jst be a switch on the front of the fridge to switch back and forth. What fridge do you have 2-way (110volt/propane) or 3-way (110volt/propane/12volt)? What brand? Bobby
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:57 PM   #3

If you will have a regular propane/elec fridge, then it should be an autoselect as to power--if plugged in, will operate on electricity and if not plugged in, should automatically shift to propane. Assuming that you have propane and tanks are open.
When driving to campground, fridge should be running on propane, and will change to electricity when you plug the trailer in at the campground. Haven't seen a manual select in a long time, nor a 3-way fridge.
The fridge will ALWAYS need good 12-volt power to operate properly; if you let the battery(s) run down, the fridge won't operate.
And, yes, pre-cool the fridge and have all food cold when you put it in. Should take anywhere from 8-12 hours to cool, perhaps longer if outside temps are high.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:29 PM   #4

We pre-cool ours at home on shore power before loading it with food. We ALWAYS have it in the automatic mode meaning if shore power is available it will use it otherwise it will shift to propane. Since anything can happen at home, I open the valve on a propane tank so it will shift if I lose power to the TT. Don't want the food to spoil. I always use a refrigerator fan to keep the air circulating. Another tip is we do a lot of dry camping at NASCAR and I always keep the drinks in a cooler so people aren't constantly opening and closing the fridge.

2014 Keystone Outback Tavel Trailer
2012 Ram 1500
Retired Navy
BBQ Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:13 PM   #5

Always start our start ours on propane at least a day before, since it need to be on propane as we travel, and switch to elect. once we hook up. As mentioned the beer and drinks stay in a cooler outside to minimize opening the frig.and trips inside the camper.
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:36 AM   #6

Yeah, that's a good idea to make sure its running on propane ok before taking off. I always light the burners on the stove to make sure the propane is working ok and I didn't leave something shut or I had swapped to an empty tank. We use one of those little battery powered fans and it seems to help even cooling of the refrigerator.
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:47 AM   #7

Those little fans are "Great" really helps in cooling the frig.Wife loves it !!!
And can't believe how long they run on a D battery.
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags