Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2017, 07:49 PM   #1

Smile Newbie - Best SUV for Towing TT

Hi everyone!

I have a question about good vehicles to look into for towing an RV. I have a $30k budget price range ($15,000 for a car and the other for an RV) and I am interested in purchasing an RV that's around 26' in length and has a GVW of 4,000 and under.

I have been searching RVTrader.com and I am confused with the weight aspect of RVing. If I purchase an RV that has a Gross Vehicle Weight of 3,135 for example, does that mean that the towing capacity of the SUV has to be 3,500lbs or more? Also, if you own an SUV and tow a TT, if you don't mind, may you please share what type of TT you own and what you pull with? If you don't think that pulling with an SUV is a good idea, may you please suggest what type of vehicle will be best for towing?

I am trying to make sure that I am understanding this correctly before purchasing a vehicle and an RV. Since I am currently renting an apartment, I won't be able to purchase an RV until my lease is over, but I do plan on purchasing a car soon and prefer to be ready once that time comes. I don't want to later find out that it's not suitable for towing an RV.

Thank you for your help in advance!
MaiPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2017, 06:44 AM   #2

The best thing to do is find the trailer first. Then find the best vehicle to tow it. SUV's can and do pull trailers as well as all trucks (1500/2500 &3500's and bigger).

If you are looking at SUV's with a 3500 tow capacity look at the max tongue capacity as they are not very high and the max could only be a pop-up.

I pull a 6695GVWR 27ft trailer with a Dodge Durango SUV 5.7L Hemi with a sticker of 7100lbs tow capacity, and 1340lbs of payload. I only carry minimum amount of stuff ((is around 6100lbs) so I do not get to the GVWR of my SUV.

I would not go bigger on the trailer without going to a 2500 truck.

That being said my combo pulls fine with WDH. I do know when a semi passes, but its not major.

Above all DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING A SALES PERSON TELLS YOU ON WHAT YOUR VEHICLE CAN TOW. Do your own research pay attention to the yellow sticker on the divers side door jam.

If possible get a friend with RV experience to assist in the process.

Good Luck
bailer6334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:32 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The problem people have is that they believe they can load the SUV up with 4 adults, 2 kids, coolers ,dogs and snacks etc. and still have enough towing capacity left for a 26' TT. Unless you bought a 2005 2500 series Suburban or Excursion That probably will not work.

Also, the shorter the wheelbase the less stable it will tow a trailer so midsize SUVs are already compromised even if they have the power to pull a large trailer.

For a trailer the size and weight you desire I would be looking at full size units like an Expedition or Suburban/Yukon. When you get over 6000 pound gross a 3/4 ton crew cab truck would be the way to go.

Whatever you get must carry the weight of people and gear as well as 13% of the GROSS trailer weight,(tongue weight) as well as the weight of the WD hitch. The hitch weight listed in a trailers brochure is the empty hitch weight and is useless. Compare the weight of people, gear and tongue weight against the CCC listed on the yellow sticker found on the drivers door sill or pillar. That will almost certainly be less than the CCC listed in the brochure so you must go by the actual capacity listed on the sticker.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:22 AM   #4

A 26 foot trailer with a GVWR of 4,000 lbs? Do you have an example of this? A dry weight around 4000 I can believe but a gross weight of 4,000 lbs sounds like an incredibly lightly constructed trailer for that length.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge-fl View Post
A 26 foot trailer with a GVWR of 4,000 lbs? Do you have an example of this? A dry weight around 4000 I can believe but a gross weight of 4,000 lbs sounds like an incredibly lightly constructed trailer for that length.
Agreed. Someone has their numbers wrong.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailer6334 View Post
...... SUV's can and do pull trailers as well as all trucks (1500/2500 &3500's and bigger).

That being said my combo pulls fine with WDH.

Ummm no. An SUV is no where close to what a 2500 or 3500 truck can safely tow. If you believe that, I have a few bridges for sale if you're interested. :-) There is a reason you don't see many SUVs hauling larger trailers. Most are not designed to pull large trailers.

Also just because "it pulls fine" does not mean you are towing safely and within the tolerances of the tow vehicle. White knuckle driving is never fun or safe. If you are in an accident and determined to be overloaded the insurance company will pay your claim and then drop you as a customer. To top it off, overloading a tow vehicle will cause mechanical strain and shorten the life of the tow vehicle. Not a lot of wins here.

To the OP, from what you are describing, you would be over the capabilities of your vehicle in my opinion. You will always find people that will tell you that towing overloaded is no problem and to just go for it. Just because they made unsafe decisions does not mean you have to. It is your property, your family's safety and and the safety those travelling around you that are in your hands with this decision. Wishing you the best if luck.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:43 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
A 26' trailer that is only 4000 pounds? Maybe dry weight in a very lightly constructed one, but that isn't the weight you should be looking at. Look at the max weight the trailer can be loaded at (dry weight plus carrying capacity). Make sure the carrying capacity is reasonable; I have seen trailers with a 500 pound carrying capacity! When you think that includes every option above the minimum base weight (including things like propane tanks and air conditioners), you really can't expect to carry anything without being overloaded. As for towing with a SUV, we had a really old Ford Expedition that did fine with 4 kids and a dog towing a really big pop up. That was when the Expedition really was a truck so a full body on it. SUVs aren't like that any more. Most SUVs just don't have the wheelbase to easily tow a 26' trailer, even if they have the capacity. If you want something for a "regular" SUV, look at 20-22' trailers. Then check the sticker on the door of the SUV to make sure you have the capacity before you buy. If you really want that 26' trailer, buy a full sized truck. You will be much happier.

The previous information about never listening to a salesman tell you about what your vehicle can hold is true. NEVER, EVER BELIEVE THEM. Do the math yourself.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
That was when the Expedition really was a truck so a full body on it. SUVs aren't like that any more.
The current and even next generation Expedition coming out this fall are on full frames and are way more capable of towing then any past generation Expedition.
Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
Ummm no. An SUV is no where close to what a 2500 or 3500 truck can safely tow. If you believe that, I have a few bridges for sale if you're interested. :-) There is a reason you don't see many SUVs hauling larger trailers. Most are not designed to pull large trailers.

Also just because "it pulls fine" does not mean you are towing safely and within the tolerances of the tow vehicle. White knuckle driving is never fun or safe. If you are in an accident and determined to be overloaded the insurance company will pay your claim and then drop you as a customer. To top it off, overloading a tow vehicle will cause mechanical strain and shorten the life of the tow vehicle. Not a lot of wins here.

To the OP, from what you are describing, you would be over the capabilities of your vehicle in my opinion. You will always find people that will tell you that towing overloaded is no problem and to just go for it. Just because they made unsafe decisions does not mean you have to. It is your property, your family's safety and and the safety those travelling around you that are in your hands with this decision. Wishing you the best if luck.
I think you misread his comment - or maybe I did - hard to be sure unless he comes back and clarifies. He wrote:

Quote:
...... SUV's can and do pull trailers as well as all trucks (1500/2500 &3500's and bigger).
But I interpret it as: ...... SUV's can and do pull trailers, as can all trucks (1500/2500 &3500's and bigger).

His statement is a bit vague and certainly is subject to misinterpretation.
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreeb View Post
I think you misread his comment - or maybe I did - hard to be sure unless he comes back and clarifies. He wrote:

But I interpret it as: ...... SUV's can and do pull trailers, as can all trucks (1500/2500 &3500's and bigger).

His statement is a bit vague and certainly is subject to misinterpretation.
Now that you point that out, I can see what you mean. It is possible I misunderstood what he meant
Old 02-19-2017, 09:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut4speed View Post
The current and even next generation Expedition coming out this fall are on full frames and are way more capable of towing then any past generation Expedition.
But not for $15,000.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranster View Post
But not for $15,000.
I agree, just clarifying that unlike most Suvs, the Expedition is still a full frame vehicle and better at towing than any of its predecessors.
For a well under $15k tow vehicle that can readily tow 5k lbs, I would recommend my rig, an 06-11 Explorer with the 4.6l V8 and factory tow package (higher rear end and upgraded radiator and separate transmission cooler).
It has the fully boxed frame still and the same 6-speed auto from the F150.
It's rated for 7200lbs towing. I pull a 27ft trailer weighing approx 6k lb with how we have it loaded, wouldn't want to go much heavier than that but it is very stable pulling. Never an issue with "tail wagging the dog" as many will claim shorter wheelbase vehicles will have, probably much of that is contributed to how much more stable the independent rear axle is.
Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:07 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We had a 05' Toyota 4Runner with the V-8 towing a 25' and then a 26' tt coming in at about 5500lbs. The 4Runner was rated at 7200lbs. but I wouldn't go over 6000lbs because of the shorter wheelbase. The 4Runner was the best daily driver I ever owned. So if you need one vehicle to serve as a tow vehicle and the driver it fit the bill. I think the V-8 were from 03' to 09 or 10' model year. One note in 05' the HP. was increased, so the 03' & 04' had about 35 less HP.

Towing we got 12mpg. not towing I got 23mpg highway, 17/ 18 city. 0-60 very fast....

Even a 2008 or 2009 / V-8 you should be able to find a clean one under $12k

Had ours for 9 years...traded it in for a Tundra
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:03 PM   #14

Thank you all so much for your responses! I truly appreciate it! I believe that I was a little confused on the numbers while doing my own research that's why I figured that it'd be better to ask those that are actually RVing. When I look up the "towing capacity" of a vehicle online, I would then input that number into the "GVW" on RVTrader to see what type of RVs are within those weights (maybe the GVW isn't the same as towing capacity).

I have seen SUV pulling trailers online (from sources like Pinterest, Youtube, and Blogs) and a few while driving, however, I never knew what the weight of the RV unit was. For example, I've seen people towing their RVs with Honda Pilots, Kia Sonatas, etc. so I wasn't sure if SUVs were really suitable for towing.

I've saved a lot of RVs from RV Trader to get an idea of what I want since I do intend to full time eventually in an RV. I just wanted to be prepared before jumping into RVing.

Here are a few that I personally like to give you all an idea of what I am looking to tow:
- https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...2306-121080393
- https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...64BH-120811839
- https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Fro...16BB-121110760
- https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Cam...186B-120878490

My questions now are, are trucks better for towing? If so, what Make/Model is best for towing? If I end up buying a truck, do you think that a 5th wheeler or a TT is better? From what I've read, 5th wheels are better because it's easier to pull and I've also read information regarding the "sway" (still not too sure what that really means). Although I've never driven a truck before, I've driven SUVs which is why I was initially considering purchasing one.
MaiPhx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, tow, towing