Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2023, 02:15 PM   #1

Newbie buying

Hi all,
Am looking at buying a new 2023 Shasta 18FQ
$22,995
Seems nice but this is a first for us and wondering if anyone has had any experience with Shasta trailers godd or bad?

TIA
-dh
Donh.me is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2023, 02:40 PM   #2

First, welcome to the forum.
Now is when you learn that any company can produce both good and bad units on the same line. It is not uncommon for serial number xxx702, xxx703 and xxx704 to have totally different build quality. The pre delivery inspection (PDI) is something that will make you sleep better. Make a video of it as there will be much you need to retain and you will not remember most of it. ALL units need some work before being ready for delivery. Whatever unit you like, go over the unit with a fine tooth comb before putting any money down. Make a list of what you find needing attention. At delivery you should get a full demo of every system on board and have the issues you found taken care of.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 03:26 PM   #3

For the amount of money you would spend for a new Shasta 18FQ, you could buy a 2-3 year old mid-priced camper of the same size for the same price. The mid-range camper will be aluminimum and block foam insulation with laminated fiberglass sidewalls, and maybe Azdel, instead of wood frame and batten with aluminum sidewall. The mid-range will have better build quality, and probably better materials, better furniture and cabinets, better floor and roof systems, and enclosed underbody with dual axles. If none of that matters you, you’ll have a great camping experience in the Shasta. If you plan to own it for a long time and do a lot of camping, these are some things to consider. If you don’t, take some time to research resale pricing on 3 year old Shasta versus mid-range 3 year olds to compare how much each one depreciates.
Old 05-30-2023, 02:53 PM   #4

I saw the Shasta 18QB on YouTube. It looks nice and perfect for two people. I kinda liked it as it is new and bright.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 03:48 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
We had that model in our first camper (traded up to Alta 2810KIK). Bought in 2021 for $17,500 and traded in for $22,500 in April 2022. We had zero issues with it and loved it. We never had a single failure with any component and wish I could say the same for our new camper. My only negative was it came with Castle Rock tires instead of Goodyear.
Piper & John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 07:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donh.me View Post
Hi all,
Am looking at buying a new 2023 Shasta 18FQ
$22,995
Seems nice but this is a first for us and wondering if anyone has had any experience with Shasta trailers godd or bad?

TIA
-dh
My wife and I both like the vintage look of the Shasta trailers, so we looked at them very closely.
As much as we liked the look, every Shasta Owners group we found was full of roof and wall leakage problems. And this goes from the present day back to when they were reintroduced. Had it been a one- or two-year problem that was fixed at the factory, we might have still looked at them. but the problem seems to be ongoing. DR
DR60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 07:54 PM   #7

The one they had on YouTube that I saw was not a retro look. It was aluminum sided.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 04:19 PM   #8

Personally, I would never buy an rv or vehicle new. You are the guy who has the joy of finding all the corner cuts from the factory, and learning about the fun of warranties.

I would take my new money and find a used unit at least 5 years old with one owner. They most likely have done all the hair pulling for you. Take it for a complete inspection and if you're happy, enjoy; if not look for another. Buy private, RV dealers are no different than car dealers. Just do your homework (a lot of it) and use your head.

Always think ahead to make sure your unit will meet your needs for a few years. Despite ridiculous asking prices for used rv's...they depreciate like any used vehicle.

Good luck...Caveat Emptor

Cheers
Keith
Southboun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 04:53 PM   #9

Welcome aboard!

Tags
buying, newbie