Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #15

I have now decided to trade in my Pilot. So I guess I can't even really look at trailers until I have a truck. I'll be back!
MysticalMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2017, 01:33 PM   #16

To answer your first question: yes you can do this. There are a lot of good people and information here. While considering your truck take a look at the payload number on the door or door pillar. Using that number will help determine the tongue weight you'll be allowed. Good luck.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:31 PM   #17

Make sure the truck you were looking at has a good tow package on it as well. When buying used you'll find them.
dustyone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:06 PM   #18

I'll opine once more. I'd stay away from the Tundra in your situation. While a very good truck and capable of dragging Amy trailer you will be looking at they are well known for horrible mpg when comparing to other trucks in their class. I would be Looking at a 3-6 year old F150 with the Ecoboost V6. From what I gathered from your posts please find a capable friend/male that can assist you with a truck purchase and trailer purchase so you don't get taken advantage of.

Put the feelers out here with asking for assistance. Shoot, most guys would be more than willing to help and if they had to spend a half day helping you choose the right truck they'd probably take payment in a burger an soda.

If you are set on a Toyota make sure you stick with Tundra and not Tacoma. The Taco won't get you much more than the Pilot. Any truck get a crew cab and 4x4 if you can afford it.
Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:42 AM   #19

trucks...and men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parks View Post
From what I gathered from your posts please find a capable friend/male that can assist you with a truck purchase and trailer purchase so you don't get taken advantage of.

Put the feelers out here with asking for assistance. Shoot, most guys would be more than willing to help and if they had to spend a half day helping you choose the right truck they'd probably take payment in a burger an soda.
I appreciate the suggestion. It is nice to narrow down the truck choices. And, I can tend to be very independent but I think your suggestion is worth something. I am going to focus on buying my truck (so excited!) and then buying my TT, then finding a spot to live, then buying land!

Peace, Maria B
MysticalMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:58 AM   #20

A lot of good advise above...

When choosing you truck/TV keep in mind that there is the mfg's spec's on what the truck is rated to tow & what it can effectively tow. 80% of the rated is a general rule of thumb--for flat towing. However, if you are going to spend time in the Rockies &/or Alaska then you might consider maxing out fully loaded weight at 70%.

Make sure your truck has the factory towing package vs an add-on towing package. There are several reasons, including transmission &/or oil coolers to help your vehicle last longer.

I think several of the Ford's, GMC's & Ram's also have have a towing transmission setting.

One alternative to consider, if you only plan to wander about for a short time, is using hotels/Airbnb. Many hotels will give you a moderate discount if you stay a week at a time (but you have to ask... also many won't). The cost may be lower than truck upgrade and net trailer cost (assuming you sell at end).

Good luck with your retirement :-)
sleeper125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:50 AM   #21

I was 67 when I bought my TT.. Bought it from a dealer and got a lemon. But I made lemonade and she is sound now. I am single also with 3 dogs and we travel wherever I want to go. I started out with a trailblazer which towed Lucy fairly well, but hills and vallies, not so much. I got a v-8 Silverado in January and he pulls her like there's nothing on the back. Lucy is about 18 ft and it's kinda tight at times.. But I don't live full time in her, just travel when I want. If this is what you want, do your homework, rent one for a couple weeks and get the feel. You can do this.. Step out, take the risk, learn from blogs like this and find an RV store that you can pick the brains of the repair guys (learned the most from them) and just do it!
Hogwarts6471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:58 AM   #22
RPr

The problem with giving advise is it is so specific to the individual.

One person's white knuckle ride is another persons typical outing. Only you can decide what you are comfortable with and why.

In my case we decided a 25 ft. with small slide, was large enough to spend a lot of time in with the wife and dog, yet small enough to wind through city streets to find quilt or gun shops and other attractions.

We rented out first TT for 10 days in the Ozarks. I soon discovered that my 200 hp. F-150 had the to towing capacity but not the horse power I needed. The wife decided the floor plan was not as handy as we first thought.

In the end we upgraded the Truck and selected a different floor plan. "Who Knew"

So my advice is take your best guess at what you think you want then rent a similar model. I will give you some confidence before you spend the big bucks.

RVing is a great past time but only if you like it.
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:47 PM   #23
M2D

There is at least one group of women who travel alone with their RVs and trailers. I met several of them this spring in Cedar Key, Florida. They were having a rally at the campground we were just leaving. I will try to remember what they call their group. I know at least four women who travel with their small dogs in Casita fiberglass trailers. One pulls it with a full size van and the others have trucks.
M2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:54 PM   #24
M2D

The group is called sisters on the fly. There is a web site www.sisterson thefly.com. I also met another lady camping with her daughter and grandchild in Gulfshores, AL. She intends to travel on her own after her shakedown trip with her new to her trailer. She belongs to this above mentioned group as well.

The IRV2 group is the best. We learned everything we needed to know here and also on the Nuwa owners forum. The former owner of our fifth wheel was also helpful in several ways.

Michele and Mark
M2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:59 AM   #25

Don't stress about it to much. One year ago, I moved into a TT full time, I'm single, male.

I approached it like this:

I needed a certain amount of space to live comfortably, so I narrowed down to the feet in length, give or take a couple feet, searched for used TT for a month or two, also researching trucks and weights. Once I found my 2 year old TT, I bought it. THEN, I bought the truck I needed to tow it, also used.

Towing a TT is a stressful task, it is not something I want to do a lot or even a little of, personally.

Now I rent some land and I don't travel with my home, but as a first timer, living FT in a TT, I can say, I love it, it's all you need.
Hope this helps in some way.
Before winter, surround the bottom of the TT with wood and insulation.
Invest in a 100 lb propane tank. Find a place that does re-fills on the tanks.
Yank the microwave out and use the space for pantry.
If you stay put, plan on building a small deck off the front of the RV.
Now, I gotta go and figure out why my awning will not retract or move...
Good Luck, let us know how you make out.
GreyWolf67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags