Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2021, 03:02 PM   #1

NEWBIE, just bought 28' Hideout, and have Generator questions

Looking at a Onan Cummins diesel that says it is rated for 50amp. Also says it will run 18hrs at 25% on 3.5 gallons. I guess I need at least the 30amp for the AC unit. The genny I have now is a non inverter 3500 watt with 30amp capabilities. Looking for advice on a genny. I doubt we will do a lot of dry camping but will surely do some. I attached photos of the Trailer & current genny.
It is just my Wife & I, and we are excited to begin this new chapter of our life.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210224_135816.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	518.1 KB
ID:	319134   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210224_135837.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	319135  

choatpadda is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2021, 04:06 PM   #2

The one you have will power your AC and a few other things but its going to be loud to your neighbors. Its 3500 watts. 30 amps is 3600 Watts.

A 120/240 volt 50 amp generator will have a 12,000 watt rating. That's a BIG generator.

For the most part, a 7000 watt 120/240 generator will run most of your trailer.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:40 PM   #3

my Troy-Bilt 5550w will run our 28' freedom express but it is noisy and I wouldnt use it anywhere there are other folks..strictly boondocks..
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:03 AM   #4

After surviving the recent TX storm with a little 800w Harbor Freight generator, we just purchased the one we really wanted; The Generac GP3000i is really a 2300 watt generator with 3000 watt starting capacity. It's manageable at 59 pounds, and super quiet for camping. Also it runs a RV a/c unit no problem!
The little one we had kept our RV battery carved to use the furnace during the storm, but was way too loud!
That's our 2 cents! (They're on Amazon)
lisaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:17 AM   #5

NEWBIE, just bought 28' Hideout, and have Generator questions

It’s unlikely you’ll be able to load that Cummins unit enough to prevent wet stacking unless you’re camping in the summer and running the AC. Even then maybe not, depending on the particular gen. You really can have too much generator...

There is a 3200W Cummins diesel out there but has any one ever seen one in use?

Lots of great options in gas or LP inverter gens sized appropriately for a 30A trailer ranging in cost from $500 or so to about $2k...anything over 5000W or so is just plainly overkill and only adds cost and weight. (And you’ll still use only 3600W at most). Do find a quiet inverter unit, please...no one wants to listen to the contractor sets even if you’re a mile away.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by choatpadda View Post
Looking at a Onan Cummins diesel that says it is rated for 50amp. Also says it will run 18hrs at 25% on 3.5 gallons. I guess I need at least the 30amp for the AC unit. The genny I have now is a non inverter 3500 watt with 30amp capabilities. Looking for advice on a genny. I doubt we will do a lot of dry camping but will surely do some. I attached photos of the Trailer & current genny.
It is just my Wife & I, and we are excited to begin this new chapter of our life.
Thanks!
Good advice above!

You probably do not need a generator at all for one night of dry camping. Get a much bigger battery than standard or get two. I have a pair of 100 amp hour AGM batteries that last for 5 days.

You can run all the 12 volt things like lights and 12 volt TV. Furnace, Refrig and water heater control boards use 12 volt for controls. They work very well using propane.

You would not be able to run the A/C or microwave. Electric kitchen appliances would be out. Use a stove top coffee pot.

On the other hand camping in the desert in the summer could be uncomfortable without two air conditioners running. You would need the 50 amp service and a big generator.

Keystone sells many 28 foot floor plans and provides several option.
50 amp 240 volt service = 12000 watts
30 amp 120 volt service = 3600 watts

A generator larger than the service entrance will waste money, weight, and space.

Make sure you read the generator specs carefully. Many "off brands" advertise the serge capability. You want to compare the continuous duty capability. If the specs don't specifically say continuous duty or something similar then it is a marketing scam. Buyer beware.

13.5K BTU A/C
15K BTU ducted A/C
2nd A/C (requires 50 Amp option)
30K BTU gas furnace
6 gal. gas water heater
LED TV
8 cu. ft. gas/electric refrigerator
.9 cu ft microwave
3 burner gas & 17" oven w/ glass cover
LED lighting

3600 watts
For occasional dry camping, 3600 watts will probably be enough. It all depends on your habits add desires. It will run one A/C plus many other things at the same time.

Microwaves typically draw between 900 and 1300 watts. You can probably run it at the same time as the A/C as long as the water heater is using only propane. There is an option for a small or large A/C. The large one will crowd the capacity more.

LED TV uses very little power. Check labels on the TV for wattage. It may be 12 volt or 120 volt.

The battery charger may use 600 watts when batteries are deeply discharged. Most of the time it will use very little. Bigger chargers use more when they are working hard.

You may or may not have electric heat in your water heater. That can draw plenty of power, but you can run it on propane for occasional dry camping.

The same is true of the refrig. Although the refrig heater uses much less than the water heater.

I recommend you get a bigger 12 volt battery from the dealer. Get the biggest that will fit. A larger battery box is cheap. An AGM battery may cost twice as much, but require much less maintenance.

Try out the one big battery for dry camping in your driveway or locally. Get a second battery if you need more.

I have a pair of 100 amp hour AGM batteries and a small inverter generator. I have not used the generator in over 10 years except to test and maintain it.

You may not need a generator at all. If you need one, try the 3500 watt one you have. Later buy a more quiet inverter type of the size you need.

12000 watts
Keystone offers optional 50 amp 240 volt service. You would need this for running two A/C's. You would also need a bigger generator.

Most people who use lots of A/C get along with a 5000 watt generator. Usually the generator is permanently installed in the RV. It will be too heavy to man handle. They come in 240 volt and 120 volt versions. The 240 volt option only works with a 50 amp 240 volt service.

The hide out is probably not designed for a permanently installed gen.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:23 AM   #7

I meant to say without 30 amp.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:31 AM   #8

Great info, advice, and people! Great site
Old 02-25-2021, 12:22 PM   #9

I'm happy with this one for 30 amp service. Very efficient, very quiet, dual fuel, electric start.
https://www.championpowerequipment.c...fuel-inverter/
Old 02-25-2021, 01:07 PM   #10

your going to find A LOT of opinions but most generators that are 120/240 dont have very good motor starting ratings. I would stick with a honda inverter 3000W for a RV with a single 15k roof AC unit and a RV with two roof AC units you need a real generator.... the Cummins 5500 LP built in unit rated at 5,500 watts at 120v only.

a 3500 watt 120/240v generator is more like a 1800watt 120v generator , the motor has good power but the generator head isn't designed for big inrush starting loads. You can add a VFD soft start kit to the AC unit at the cost of $300 in parts and it will start the AC much easier if you opt to use a small generator. My Yamaha 2800 inverter just barely starts a 13.5k ac , once its running it handles it fine ( a soft start is in our future). noise and parts 10 years + after the sale on the generator are the primary reason for buying a Honda or Yamaha , most of the others are throw always at the first problem. My Yamaha is coming up on 20 years old and close to 1000hrs of run time!
Old 02-25-2021, 01:15 PM   #11

The Honda eu7000is is a fuel injected portable generator that will run 2 ACs and be quiet.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:16 PM   #12

I bought a 2000 watt inverter generator a year and a half ago and have never used it. We almost exclusively dry camp for 4 to 7 days at a time. I have 200 AH of FLA batteries and 270 watts of solar.
My only real comment is I use my generator so infrequently, I really wish I would have bought one that runs on propane. I keep having to remember to get rid of the gas at the end of each trip since it goes stale. Propane doesn't go bad and I always have it on hand. I have been looking at conversion kits and those look like they are going to set me back another $200.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:10 PM   #13

My friend with the 5th has a pair of Honda 2200s with the pairing cable kit that gives him 4kw. He prefers that setup as he can run on one most of the year, use both if it gets hot and requires both air conditioners.

Plus if one dies he has a spare and can run on it while the other gets fixed (which hasn't happened yet, the Hondas are great units).

Mike
Old 02-27-2021, 11:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
I bought a 2000 watt inverter generator a year and a half ago and have never used it. We almost exclusively dry camp for 4 to 7 days at a time. I have 200 AH of FLA batteries and 270 watts of solar.
My only real comment is I use my generator so infrequently, I really wish I would have bought one that runs on propane. I keep having to remember to get rid of the gas at the end of each trip since it goes stale. Propane doesn't go bad and I always have it on hand. I have been looking at conversion kits and those look like they are going to set me back another $200.
You can get a conversation kit for propane.

Tags
generator, newbie