Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2021, 11:38 AM   #1

Newbie looking for info

Good morning..I'm new here .I'm hoping to buy a used tagalong in a couple of months. My tow vehicle is a Diesel F250, I'm looking for about a 22 footer or so. What are better quality, used tagalongs? I've read horror stories about newer ones, should I go back 10 years or so to find a decent trailer?
Any other advice?
Jim.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2021, 11:39 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome !!
There are many good folks here to offer help and advice, glad you could join the party
Safe Travels!!
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:50 PM   #3

My favorite are Oliver, Bigfoot, Casita, Lance, Rockwood/Flagstaff.

These are built using insulation, and materials that won’t mold, or rot. They all use materials like fiberglass structures, or fully laminated foam board with aluminum framing. Rookwood/Flagstaff vacuum bonds their roof with foam board, with integrated duct work.

Wouldn’t say trailers were built better 10 years ago. But they were simpler.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:31 AM   #4

Your signature doesn't mention where you are at. If you are in the west I'd suggest an older Nash. A couple of years ago a friend of my son bought a new 20'. Son thought that sounded good and I convinced him to buy an 02 Nash. He really didn't think I was playing with a full deck, but he went along. A year later he told me he was sure glad he bought the Nash, all he needed to do was use it and enjoy. His buddy's trailer was at the dealer more than it was out camping.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:29 AM   #5

Trying to buy a late model used can be frustrating. People are asking way too much money. This will change next year IMHO, as there will be a surplus of used on the market. We gave up searching for used and were able to buy a new one for less than a late model used.

We’re partial to Winnebago because I believe the build quality is in the top 25% of all travel trailers. Our camper is now almost 1 year old, and our experience has been great. No major problems, no warranty claims. Just some stuff that we did easy DIY fixes on. It’s Azdell sidewall block foam aluminum frame.

Grand Design is like an upmarket of Winnebago. Owned by Winnebago. Pricier, and heavier.

That being said, we chose our Micro mini because we could tow it with a mid-size, and get it up our steep winding mountain driveway. If we weren’t limited by that, and we had your tow vehicle, we would have bought an airstream or an ORV.
Old 09-14-2021, 11:51 AM   #6

First, welcome to the forum. There are many good and bad trailers out there. I think that before anyone can answer your question I would wonder how you are going to use the trailer. Where you plan to camp? Weather you know. Will you go skiing with it.? Chasing the sun? Staying only a couple of days in one place? Exploring a month at a time? If you plan on skiing a four seasons camper. Heavy. Chasing the sun. A three season lighter. Many campsites have a 10 year rule. I own a Fun Finder that is 3 season light and I am towing with an 06 f150. It's 21 foot and I have had it for 8 yrs now. Love it. I will say that right now it is a sellers market. Covid has driven the price of campers way to high. Don't think I answered your questions but hope I gave you reason to think about how you wish to use the camper.

Safe travels
Dusty
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:21 PM   #7

Quality used Travel trailer? Airstream if you don’t mind an Airstream. Whatever you find, perform a thorough inspection.
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:23 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.H View Post
Good morning..I'm new here .I'm hoping to buy a used tagalong in a couple of months. My tow vehicle is a Diesel F250, I'm looking for about a 22 footer or so. What are better quality, used tagalongs? I've read horror stories about newer ones, should I go back 10 years or so to find a decent trailer?
Any other advice?
Keep in mind these things are still built in the same area of the country, mostly northern Indiana. Also the manufacturers are still using the same work force as they did 10 years ago, or their kids, the Amish and still using the same supply chain.
Just food for thought.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags